+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The good, the bad and the very ugly

Re: The good, the bad and the very ugly

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Don’t be fooled Jim. It’s all part of the act. A multiple user with different standpoints depending on which account he’s using.
    That old chestnut again. Well unlike quite a few people, including probably yourself, I can assure you that I have NEVER had more than this account, which I have used continuously for the last six years. If you don't believe me, I give my full permission for Mike Morris or whoever is in charge of this board to confirm that to you direct, if you care to message him personally and show him this post.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    The thing is, I don't over analyse our football.
    I think using the word 'over' was probably unnecessary in this sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    And…. right on cue…. one of those people who don't support the club but sometimes still goes to games by filching free tickets off other people, arrives on the scene.

That old chestnut again. Well unlike quite a few people, including probably yourself, I can assure you that I have NEVER had more than this account, which I have used continuously for the last six years. If you don't believe me, I give my full permission for Mike Morris or whoever is in charge of this board to confirm that to you direct, if you care to message him personally and show him this post.
    Nah, im not bothered. Its an observation I stand by. If you are 66/67 years of age my name is Dai Hunt,

And…. right on cue…. one of those people who don't support the club but sometimes still goes to games by filching free tickets off other people, arrives on the scene.
    This is not true. I don't filch tickets off anyone. I get given plenty, though. And offered plenty more.

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    Make no mistake, we were shocking last night.

We had zero clues going forward. It was very poor. But looking at the team selection and formation - isn't it obvious to everyone that when the opposition match our formation and have very capable runners and technically gifted players that we will always struggle?

All of our weaknesses were exposed last night - dodgy defending, getting caught up field when we have a set-piece, lack of pace, no guile, low possession and low passing success rate.

I would be interested to see the stats but for 80 minutes I think the only times we touched the ball in the opposition box was misplaced headers from throws or corners. Even our usual 'routes' to goal were blocked off last night, not by opposition defending, but by our own lack of sharpness and anticipation in the box.

For their first goal you have to wonder what on earth our defence was doing in allowing their player to have huge amounts of space and able to control the ball, take and extra touch and fire into the net... I do have a theory on that though! The referee was appalling and he gave us nothing most of the night. His decision to book Pack (and also Flint for his protests) for Pack being brutally fouled was an extreme example of his uselessness, but there were many other examples of his ineptness (please have a look at a horrible foul on Moore late in the game where their player missed the ball, goes in studs up into Moores foot but then stretches afterwards to get the ball back - was an awful foul that the ref didn't even consider giving). Anyway, I suspect that our players were fully aware of this and knew that the slightest contact in our box would result in the ref giving a pen and were therefore standing off knowing any contact would result in a penalty.

Our wing-back were fully exposed and Bagan in particular was turned time and time again. On Saturday when he chased a Blackpool player back and committed a professional foul it showed huge maturity and reading of the game, last night however, for their second, he made a poor decision to go with a man who was already being closed down while leaving another free to receive a pass and score. Ng was also poor last night.

The three central defenders did 'ok' apart from the goals. In a defensive sense I though Nelson was our most composed defender last night. In midfield Ralls did ok in patches but struggled to keep up with the pace of Peterboroughs pace and movement. Pack was the pick of the bunch - his two crosses for the goals were quality, although he missed what was an open goal really when Bacuna smartly put him through (probably Bacunas only contribution in an attacking sense last night. Giles did well when he had the ball in space but those moments were rare. Collins worked hard but again was isolated and was often against a back three. There was no cohesion between the Collins and the attacking players.

You have to ask questions of Mick and TC when we seem to quite frequently be unable to muster a single shot - and I don't blame the players for that. Essentially we had 3 centre backs, 4 full-backs / wing-backs and 2 defensive midfielders in the starting 11.... with only Collins an out and out attacker. This means that in reality unless our set-pieces are working we will always struggle to create chances in open play. You also have to wonder about MM's use of subs. Often too late in games when every man and his dog can see the way the game was going. I don't know about you but at half time I mentioned to someone that we would likely lose this if we didn't change things sooner rather than later. Peterborough scored a lot of goals last year in the second half and that seems to be a theme that they have brought through to this season.

But we didn't lose and the team though deserves huge credit for digging in and coming up with two wonderful goals when it looked like the game had really gone. The subs, although made way too late, helped open up the game with Moore, Colwill and Harris all stretching the defence and putting pressure on a tired Peterborough.

However, the lack of possession, passing and ultimately creativity will AGAIN be our downfall and continue to put pressure on our defence.

A final note on the match reports coming out of Peterborough. Yeah, we all hate the way we play sometimes and know it isn't great, but it is our team and we have the right to be frustrated about it... but some of the reporting is laughable. Peterborough ARE a better footballing side than us and I would take at quite a few of their players who would walk into our team... but the pious and self righteous reporting is cringeworthy.
    The foul on Moore was a horrific studs up challenge ... a straight red without even having to think about it. Again, not even a foul was given by the weak referee.

As I have said for a few seasons now any team with a bit of pace and/or movement will cause us problems.

Bagan may well develop into a good left back/left wing back. However at this stage of his development he is not a left wing back as his attacking game is his weakness.

MMc must be the only person who thinks that Bacuna has any of the qualities to play that attacking role down the inside-right channel. He is a defensive central midfielder.

The game changed when Harris was belatedly brought on after 77 mins. For the first time in the game we saw a City player making good runs and turning the home team's defenders. For me he should replace Bacuna.

The pre-match diatribe by Peterborough's manager was laughable but equally so is our's insistent mantra that two attacking players (Moore/Collins; Giles) is enough to utilise until the dying minutes of a game.

StT.
    <><

I am just as entitled to give my opinion on peoples views as you are. If you think that I am ‘ridiculously vocal’ I suggest that you have a look at the posting records of people like blue lewj, wolfmother, hooded claw and Hartley - it might change your mind a bit.
    Of course you’re entitled to your opinion, but so are the people who aren’t happy with the state of things.
    If the club is supported in everything it does, then how do we expect them to improve?
    For my part, I’m negative about the style of play, the choices of manager and a general ineptness/naivety about the club in the way it conducts itself.
    I most certainly don’t support Swansea, as firstly I wouldn’t have time for all of this, secondly, my family are proper Cairrduff (I have a cousin who is a steward at the club and another I believe is a groundsman) and thirdly, my mum dated Don Murray when she was 16! 🤣
    If I didn’t support the club, I could’ve just taken my boys to Bristol City or Bristol Rovers, as I live in Bristol. I spend a small fortune on Cardiff (and Wales) kit for my boys.
    So why don’t we just agree for all the sniping to end and agree to disagree?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but think it was Descartes who said: "I think we're shit, therefore I support Swansea". You can look it up.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but think it was Descartes who said: "I think we're shit, therefore I support Swansea". You can look it up.
    Yeah, it was, to be fair though, it was after a heavy defeat between France and The Netherlands but when he sorted out his xyz and abc formations things started to improve. IMO he just needed to be given more time. So typical of us to lose one of the greats.