+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What would it take to make you give up your car?

Re: What would it take to make you give up your car?

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    It's become a fight to the death, as far as I'm concerned - me versus a shitty cycle-obsessed council. I'm determined to drive, no matter what they throw at me. I'd drive two cars if I could.
    what exactly have they done to stop you from driving?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    As listed in the original post. Okay, they haven't come round my house and taken my car away (yet), but I do feel it's becoming more and more difficult to drive anywhere around Cardiff. And it will get worse.

Old age

I was forced to give up driving in1998 when a stroke affected my eyesight.
    My mrs hadn't got behind the wheel then, took her about 4 years to learn, and as has been said, public transport isn't up to it in Cardiff.

But when I lived in London, I didn't bother learning for 6 years, as the tubes and busses meant you could get anywhere at almost 24/7.

Too much traffic on the roads making it difficult for all the traffic on the roads.

To be fair trying to get from East to West and vice versa is a nightmare.
    But this is where the 20mph limit helps. Go any faster and you're likely to miss the latest bus lane, cycle lane, traffic light, camera or one way system that's been installed since you last drove the route.

Cheap, convenient, and reliable public transport.

Old men get angry mate and once their mind is made up its made up.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Old men get angry mate and once their mind is made up its made up.

You need a public transport system like London before you can expect people to give up their cars.

Haven't had a car for over 30 years

And no its not because of driving offences

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    You need a public transport system like London before you can expect people to give up their cars.
    Yep. It's 20 minutes by car from my house in Cardiff to my Grandparents' house in Cwmbran. The same journey takes 1.5 hours on a couple of buses.

A rideable drone!

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    A rideable drone!
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-54331994.amp

International

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Cheap, convenient, and reliable public transport.
    I agree I think that's what Drippy is trying to do with this Metro, but would you trust him to run a bath let alone a transport system?

First Team

I gave up mine about two years ago.
    The WFH was the motivation plus my old previously dependable car was condemned at the MOT, so I was looking at having to make a big purchase but doing very limited mileage.
    Yes, the convenience aspect can be missed but generally I am saving a fortune and have got fitter by walking far more.
    Public transport is ok ish where I live, which helps as well.
    The main issue is probably that we are all used to having a car and quite like many aspects of car ownership. That will change as mileage charges, parking/ speed enforcement and congestion issues worsen.
    Quite possibly, in my lifetime, car ownership will be an oddity rather than the norm.

Free Ubers for life.

https://evo.ca/

Car sharing becoming a big thing. I use this occasionally when I’m in Vancouver. Pick one up anywhere you see one (there’s hundreds of them) and drop it anywhere (legally) you like. Only constraint is that it’s programmed to shut down outside a certain circumference.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post

Car sharing becoming a big thing. I use this occasionally when I’m in Vancouver. Pick one up anywhere you see one (there’s hundreds of them) and drop it anywhere (legally) you like. Only constraint is that it’s programmed to shut down outside a certain circumference.
    We have Ubeeqo (which is eurocar) can be quite expensive depending where you want go. We have about 10 different electric moped companies which is really handy ( https://en.rideyego.com/ ), works out slightly less than a taxi and we have one of the best public transport system in the world. On the other hand we have the drivers and the petrol lobby!
    With some of the worst air quality in Europe and a ridiculous driving experience, a government and council doing their best to offer alternatives and bring laws to make driving harder (old cars, circulation restrictions), yet rather than accept a collective social responsibility, people fight them in the courts. You can't separate a man from his car!

International

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post

I don't think it would work in Cardiff they can't even trust the residents with bikes?

The Taff would be full of Mondeos!

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    No where to park due to permits, 20mph or 50mph on motorways, sky high petrol costs, roads like the castle closed, cameras for speeding, bus lanes, stopping rat runs, parking camera vans, I think the Drakeford and others are trying very hard to make driving as unpleasant as possible.

What would it take to make you give up?

With petrol how far would you go £2.50 per litre, £5.00?
    A decent and cheap train service, with all the railway lines that Beecham did way with in the 60s being replaced. Ain't gonna happen though

International

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    A decent and cheap train service, with all the railway lines that Beecham did way with in the 60s being replaced. Ain't gonna happen though
    Trains are the best, I worked in Newcastle for a bit there Metro system was decent and worked quite well in a similar type of City to Cardiff and surrounding areas, so it can work if properly planned and good investment.