+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: FT: BRISTOL CITY 2 - 0 CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

Re: FT: BRISTOL CITY 2 - 0 CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

Think it may be time to start him, he of course didn't have a full pre season though.

I just wish he was stronger at times, he can do it but then a couple of other times he's easily brushed off. Can use his size better.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    The less said about that the better. I wish I'd stayed in bed.
    Quite glad I missed it all….Ralls rubbish again? Watters too? Quel surprise…..

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    I've been banging on about SM having a good eye for a footballer but having seen Simpson today, albeit the 2nd half only, I think I should retract that statement. What a carthorse !
    Morison said Simpson possessed a cultured left foot - the Rangers fans said he stank the place out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Id be very tempted to play Colwill up front v Preston.
    He'd be wasted up front unless we completely change the formation.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Quite glad I missed it all….Ralls rubbish again? Watters too? Quel surprise…..
    Ralls had a shocker when he came on but the game was already lost.

I think its the last we will see of Watters for a while.

We had periods where we played some decent stuff and if Watters doesnt blow another another one on one we go a goal up and its a different game.

We badly need a new striker.

The performance was far from a disaster but a few players werent at their best.

Morison steered us away from a relegation battle last season. He's got rid of most of the dead wood, and we're now playing the sort of football that you expect in the Championship. Having said that, if we end up 14th/15th, I think it will be a success. Maybe mid-table even, if we strengthen in the New Year, and then bring in some experienced, quality players in key positions. But if we don't get a couple of half decent strikers, we're going to struggle for points in pretty much every side we face, and that's a relegation battle ahead..

n fairness, reading SM comments I think he feels the pain also.....
    "What did I say to them? I told them today 'I'm fed up of defending you, you've got to put the ball in the back of the net. That's your job. You get your moments, you have to put the ball in the back of the net'," Morison said of his strikers.

It's clear he knows he needs new strikers....but easier said than done.

Extremely toothless display. Can't help but think Colwill should be given a run up top until someone is brought in as the rest just aren't up to it and it's going to start costing us quickly.

Thought it was an odd decision given how good O'Dowda looked last week and the other attacking options on the bench that he chose to move Ng to left back rather than drop O'Dowda back... yes Ng is a full back but he's also right footed, and Simpson and Kipre haven't played together. Benefit of hindsight, but dropping O'Dowda back and bringing on Philogene or Colwill surely would have been the better move.

Other than that, pretty dire all over the pitch. Watters makes the odd decent run off the back of defenders but his movement, composure and finishing once in the final third is absolutely woeful. Striker needed to finish anywhere in the top half surely.

It was a poor showing. And what makes it worse was yet another derby defeat.

But I‘m trying to be positive that we’re playing at times attractive football. The club don’t have aging players on massive 5 year contracts. And our players are probably still gelling. I also don’t think losing Collins for the season and then Bagan early today would have helped.

We definitely need another option up front though.
    The trouble is this late in the window with probably limited funds it’ll be a tough job getting a proven goal scorer.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    He'd need runners off him, which we don't have. That O'Dowda pull back was offensively bad from the rest of the team. All stood on their heels outside the box. Watters never breaks his neck to go front post etc, he's just not very good.
    Exactly this, when I see people say he's got great movement I don't understand it. The strength of our team is our wingers and he's never in position to get on the end of any of the decent crosses they've put in. He's a lower league striker who can play off the back of the defender once in a while, shame he can't finish.

Re: BRISTOL CITY v CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    It’s half time in our fifth game of the season, how many chances has Watters had in that time? I can only think of two - true, he should have scored at least one of them, but there are other reasons why we’ve only scored three in five and a half matches (if you count the Portsmouth game) besides him.
    And the games at the end of last season……?

Just got in, saw the score, can’t be arsed to read 12 pages. Give it to me straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Just got in, saw the score, can’t be arsed to read 12 pages. Give it to me straight.
    Relegation fodder.

C-R-A-P!

Poor all round. Never really got going. Conceded two headed goal from crosses. Watters missed our only really decent chance.

Almost no positives apart from a few nice touches when Colwill came on.

Most players were less than 5/10.

Disappointing.

They took their chances, we can’t score in a brothel, the end

Jeez...I am watching Newcastle v Man City....what an attack Newcastle has....I can dream...

The defence was unsteady at times.

The midfield was unusually poor.

Watters was up front.

Bristol City 2 Cardiff City 0.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Thing with Colwill is that he does have some flaws to his game, he can't tackle, isn't very good with his back to goal and doesn't put himself in good positions from a defensive point of view (in my opinion of course) But, here's the rub, in the final third he causes damage, he can change things, he's assertive in attack and makes his decisions quickly in those areas. For me, that's enough to play him from the start, f uck it, compensate for those flaws and let him develop. He may never be any good at the 'Other' side of the game, plenty of creative players aren't, but we are desperate for a spark, some individual creativity, and he has that. Morison can't wait forever, he needs to make a call on Colwill and get others to compensate for him. Do it now Steve!
    I’ve just put something similar in my blog piece - it’s not true to say Colwill provided more creativity today than the rest put together, but it’s not far wrong.

Morison has to start using Colwill more often than he has done so far throughout his tenure as manager - it’s more important this season for a few reasons and those rumours about our manager not rating him will only intensify if he carries on being as reluctant to use him as he seemed to be today (why bring on Harris and Philogene before him?).

I’ve just put something similar in my blog piece - it’s not true to say Colwill provided more creativity today than the rest put together, but it’s not far wrong.

Morison has to start using Colwill more often than he has done so far throughout his tenure as manager - it’s more important this season for a few reasons and those rumours about our manager not rating him will only intensify if he carries on being as reluctant to use him as he seemed to be today (why bring on Harris and Philogene before him?).
    Harris was fair enough. Watters needed replacing.

Using Harris is tantamount to industrial negligence He's honest, works hard, chases etc, but he isn't close to good enough at this level, he's not even a goalscorer at any level in my opinion. I don't even know what he is as a footballer, what discernible attributes he possesses etc. He's probably a lovely lad, and he's doing alright out of it, but he can't play. It's a flaw in Morrison that he thinks that Harris can create problems in the opposition back line by being energetic. And he must think that because he uses Harris time after time. Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Using Harris is tantamount to industrial negligence He's honest, works hard, chases etc, but he isn't close to good enough at this level, he's not even a goalscorer at any level in my opinion. I don't even know what he is as a footballer, what discernible attributes he possesses etc. He's probably a lovely lad, and he's doing alright out of it, but he can't play. It's a flaw in Morrison that he thinks that Harris can create problems in the opposition back line by being energetic. And he must think that because he uses Harris time after time. Why?
    For someone who cant play he did allright setting up an absolute sitter for Etete v Birmingham.

A pathetic display made all the more unbearable as it was a derby match again. (Bristol and Swansea did the double over us last season). I feel sorry for those who travelled to the game. At least I only wasted £11.99 (on a NOW TV 24 hour pass).

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    For someone who cant play he did allright setting up an absolute sitter for Etete v Birmingham.
    Is that enough though? Isolated moments of quality, every 4 or 5 games? It isn't, is it?