+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The New Iron Lady

Re: The New Iron Lady

Quote Originally Posted by DryCleaning View Post
    There have been a litany of articles in the right wing press in support. Just this morning the Daily Mail have lauded Simon Clarkes comments about a potential return to austerity.
    So for every one against it, there is more than one in support? Opinion is more supportive than not?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    So for every one against it, there is more than one in support? Opinion is more supportive than not?
    Agreed, I shouldn't have used the plural ("there are articles") as this indicates more than the number of articles against. What I meant was that for every article criticising the mini-budget, there was an article somewhere else supporting it. We would have expected that given how politically polarised the media is in the UK.

RE: your latter comment, this depends on what you are reading and where you are looking.

There have been a litany of articles in the right wing press in support. Just this morning the Daily Mail have lauded Simon Clarkes comments about a potential return to austerity.
    So, your saying that the polls (the 33 per cent one may be a freak, but there've been three others I believe showing Labour leads between seventeen and twenty four per cent) this week are just a coincidence and nothing to do with the fiscal event or whatever daft name Truss and Kwarteng gave their budget to ensure the OBR did not get the chance to have a look at it?

Agreed, I shouldn't have used the plural ("there are articles") as this indicates more than the number of articles against. What I meant was that for every article criticising the mini-budget, there was an article somewhere else supporting it. We would have expected that given how politically polarised the media is in the UK.

RE: your latter comment, this depends on what you are reading and where you are looking.
    So you are saying there's a fairly even split. I don't think that's the case.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    So, your saying that the polls (the 33 per cent one may be a freak, but there've been three others I believe showing Labour leads between seventeen and twenty four per cent) this week are just a coincidence and nothing to do with the fiscal event or whatever daft name Truss and Kwarteng gave their budget to ensure the OBR did not get the chance to have a look at it?
    I'm not saying anything of the sort. Firstly, there are some in the right wing press who have openly supported Kwarteng. If this is a shock to you then it really shouldn't be. Secondly, mid term opinion polls almost always favour the opposition by a large margin.

Lets wait until after the GE before cracking open the bubbly

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    So you are saying there's a fairly even split. I don't think that's the case.
    That's ok, its alright to have differing views on any given subject.

Turns out this lady is for turning
    Weak

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    Turns out this lady is for turning
    Weak

ain't that the truth. No substance, all rhetoric. just populist politics.

ain't that the truth. No substance, all rhetoric. just populist politics.
    Absolutely. What a shambles!!

Today's Kwasi bingo card-
    Growth Plan
    Simply a distraction
    Strong Package
    Intervention
    Energy Package

What an absolute shambles of chancellor.

Just for balance, didn't Gordon Brown/Labour reverse a planned tax/NIC rise?

I don't recall that being a shambles, just an ill thought out policy that was quickly reversed.

She wasnt getting it through Parliament.

Shes finished already.

The country needs an election.

I don't recall that being a shambles, just an ill thought out policy that was quickly reversed.
    I'm not sure if Brown reversed a tax rise less than 24 hours after the PM said it was staying, but he certainly raised taxes for many.

It's a shambles because yesterday Truss said that it was a great policy that she would not abandon, and it was solely Kwarteng's decision to introduce.
    Gove and Shapps amongst others express their concerns, then all of a sudden after a conversation between Truss and Kwasi it's been abolished.

Quickly reversed?????????

I may be wrong, but I don't think he staunchly defended it right up to the day before. In a full tv interview.
    Total and utter shambles of prime minister and government

Bendy Liz and Kwarteng the Quasi Chancellor

Quickly reversed?????????

I may be wrong, but I don't think he staunchly defended it right up to the day before. In a full tv interview.
    Total and utter shambles of prime minister and government
    I'm pretty sure Brown defended it right up to the point of reversal.

The point being, these things happen. Granted the Tories do seem to be in a considerable mess whereas Labour (IIRC) weren't, as the narrative at the time was a party and government that listened, rather than a government thats a rudderless ship

I'm pretty sure Brown defended it right up to the point of reversal.

The point being, these things happen. Granted the Tories do seem to be in a considerable mess whereas Labour (IIRC) weren't, as the narrative at the time was a party and government that listened, rather than a government thats a rudderless ship
    Do you think any sane politician could have thought that the idea was a good one, in the current climate?
    Do you think crashing the markets and waiting TEN DAYS is good government?

it's absolute madness!

Do you think any sane politician could have thought that the idea was a good one, in the current climate?
    Do you think crashing the markets and waiting TEN DAYS is good government?

it's absolute madness!
    If you're cutting top rates of tax you do it when the economy is buoyant, wages are rising and confidence is high.

You don't do it during a cost of living crisis.

They misjudged the room, that's for sure

If you're cutting top rates of tax you do it when the economy is buoyant, wages are rising and confidence is high.

And some. But anyone could have told them that!
    Hence my original description, it's a total and utter shambles!
    What's a few billion wipes off the markets though. Live and learn, these things happen. The cynical would be forgiven for thinking it was deliberate

I bet my ass that in 6 months all the goons are clapping the govt on question time

What a load of cobblers

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I bet my ass that in 6 months all the goons are clapping the govt on question time

What a load of cobblers
    I thought that after all the Covid stuff. Then party-gate. Then every drama since. I don't think the negativity towards this government is going to stop until they're gone because they just keep fuelling the fire Starmer must think it's the easiest job he's ever had

“Misjudged the room” is shouting WAHEY! by yourself when a waiter drops a glass in a slightly fancy restaurant.

This is a full on cock up.

If it was just a "distraction", why bother with it in the first place? Although I can't believe I'm writing that £2 billion is nothing, it really isn't in terms of Government finances when you see what was spent on the furlough scheme and in capping energy prices. The reason surely has to be that the dropping of the 45 per cent tax rate gave us a look into the hearts and minds of Truss and Kwarteng. You only had to watch Kwarteng's budget speech where he produced his announcement of his great giveaway to the richest at the end of it with a flourish which told you he was thinking this would "shock and awe" - that's a term we heard a lot of in the build up to his speech - well it did shock and awe, but only because it showed how inept a supposedly very bright man really was!

No, the tax rate reduction for the very richest was a pet project for Truss and Kwarteng - a move supposed to set them apart from the more boring wings of their party, a move which was meant to have all of those free market thinktanks which have too much influence these days cheering wildly.

I've just been listening to one of the BBC's political correspondents who said that they always get a brief run down of what a Minister or Shadow Minister's speech to conference is going to say the night before and Kwarteng's was going to be all about him pressing on with the whole of the "fiscal event", but it seems that the interventions of the likes of Gove and Shapps have proved pivotal.

Truss and Kwarteng have both been saying "we get it" this morning - bollox, they don't get it and they never will (although I suppose we shouldn't rule out a switch to Labour or the Greens by Truss in the next few months).

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    If it was just a "distraction", why bother with it in the first place? Although I can't believe I'm writing that £2 billion is nothing, it really isn't in terms of Government finances when you see what was spent on the furlough scheme and in capping energy prices. The reason surely has to be that the dropping of the 45 per cent tax rate gave us a look into the hearts and minds of Truss and Kwarteng. You only had to watch Kwarteng's budget speech where he produced his announcement of his great giveaway to the richest at the end of it with a flourish which told you he was thinking this would "shock and awe" - that's a term we heard a lot of in the build up to his speech - well it did shock and awe, but only because it showed how inept a supposedly very bright man really was!

No, the tax rate reduction for the very richest was a pet project for Truss and Kwarteng - a move supposed to set them apart from the more boring wings of their party, a move which was meant to have all of those free market thinktanks which have too much influence these days cheering wildly.

I've just been listening to one of the BBC's political correspondents who said that they always get a brief run down of what a Minister or Shadow Minister's speech to conference is going to say the night before and Kwarteng's was going to be all about him pressing on with the whole of the "fiscal event", but it seems that the interventions of the likes of Gove and Shapps have proved pivotal.

Truss and Kwarteng have both been saying "we get it" this morning - bollox, they don't get it and they never will (although I suppose we shouldn't rule out a switch to Labour or the Greens by Truss in the next few months).
    I was watching that Chris Philip being eviscerated by Kay Burley earlier this morning. I know the Tories are not known to be the sharpest knives in the room but oh boy!!! This guy is on an entirely different level of dim. It crossed my mind he and Lady Dorries could possibly make a fantastic double act for a comedy show.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    I was watching that Chris Philip being eviscerated by Kay Burley earlier this morning. I know the Tories are not known to be the sharpest knives in the room but oh boy!!! This guy is on an entirely different level of dim. It crossed my mind he and Lady Dorries could possibly make a fantastic double act for a comedy show.
    I can't stand that guy - he's the idiot who sent out a tweet during Kwarteng's speech about how well the pound was doing in response to what the Chancellor was saying

I did the weekly this morning and on the drive down to Porth, I heard them read out a text on the radio from a man who had lost £20k from his pension fund last week - Philp was appearing on the show later and they said they would ask him what he could say to someone who had seen so much wiped off their funds, but I never got to hear what he had to say in reply (it'd probably be what he normally does, that is ignore the question and talk over the interviewer - I know they all do it, but he's the worst I've come across at it).