+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Wales considering renaming as Cymru

Re: Wales considering renaming as Cymru

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    So change the name of the national team, in a country where only about 30% of the population speak the language. Very clever. Almost as idiotic as changing all the road signs.
    30? No where near, 10% maybe

I think football should renamed as bodyball (minus the arms).

The Bodyball Association of Cymru has a nice ring to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop_Jon_Bee View Post
    I think the FAW should be concentrating on the massive upcoming event in Qatar rather than pushing the Cymru over Wales thing. It doesn't bother me either way Wales or Cymru, but i would lean on keeping it as Wales as this is what people around the world know it as. What does bother me by this release from FAW is why are they not concentrating on the World Cup tournament, instead of getting involved with shit outside of football.
    Spedger
    Well it will be translated around the world, nobody knows it as Wales outside English Speaking countries. It'll still be (Pays De) Gal·les where i live.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    So change the name of the national team, in a country where only about 30% of the population speak the language. Very clever. Almost as idiotic as changing all the road signs.
    Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    30? No where near, 10% maybe
    dml1954 might be right for once!

The (2011) census determined that 18.56% of the population could speak Welsh and 14.57% could speak, read and write in the language.

The most recent Annual Population Survey (June 2020), as conducted by the Office for National Statistics, suggests that 28.6% of people in Wales aged three and over were able to speak Welsh.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...Welsh-speakers

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    dml1954 might be right for once!

The (2011) census determined that 18.56% of the population could speak Welsh and 14.57% could speak, read and write in the language.

The most recent Annual Population Survey (June 2020), as conducted by the Office for National Statistics, suggests that 28.6% of people in Wales aged three and over were able to speak Welsh.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...Welsh-speakers
    Dml may be even closer than that! 29.7% as of year ending June 2022. Seems a little high to me tbh

https://gov.wales/welsh-language-dat...2021-june-2022

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I have never ever heard anyone call Wales Cymru in a football sense

Maybe in print but even then it's rare

It's Wales ff sake

Are you going to the Wales game , isn't it fantastic to see Wales in euro 2016 , bloody hell Wales gave Belgium a stuffing , I wonder if Bale is going to help Wales get to the world Cup?
    Why do you care what our country is called in a football sense?

You are always so keen to tell us how it’s City first, Wales 2nd and you couldn’t really care for international football?

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop_Jon_Bee View Post
    I think the FAW should be concentrating on the massive upcoming event in Qatar rather than pushing the Cymru over Wales thing. It doesn't bother me either way Wales or Cymru, but i would lean on keeping it as Wales as this is what people around the world know it as. What does bother me by this release from FAW is why are they not concentrating on the World Cup tournament, instead of getting involved with shit outside of football.
    Spedger
    The FAW will have to rebrand as FAC.

Once you know the meaning Wales does have a somewhat negative connotation, although I’m not too bothered with it being used personally. Likewise, Cymru has a more positive meaning and I’m likewise happy with its use. Either/or is fine by me.

I have no issue with changing the official name to Cymru, it is after all the name of our country in the original language.

It also has the secondary affect of winding up the English nationalists in this Telegraph article.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...les-world-cup/

Mind you reading some of the comments on this forum and the comments on the article, it appears there are some kindred spirits.

I think there should be a compromise.

We should keep the English language but change the team's name to Wails reminding everyone how some of the support just love acting all hysterical like the people who comment in the Daily Mail.

Haven't they been referred to as Cymru in all the home games by stadium announcer?

International

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    I think there should be a compromise.

We should keep the English language but change the team's name to Wails reminding everyone how some of the support just love acting all hysterical like the people who comment in the Daily Mail.

Haven't they been referred to as Cymru in all the home games by stadium announcer?
    It's from the Guardian?

As the nomenclature 'Wales' is cognate with Wallachia (part of Romania), Wallonia (Southern Belgium) and Cornwall and effectively means 'stranger' or 'foreigner', it makes sense to adopt the name bestowed upon us by our own culture rather than a description foisted upon us by those not from these islands.

Stick to the name the majority of the country have called it since they were in primary school... Wales.

Germany v Deutschland anyone?

There’s some right weird herbs in here fair play. If this is all you have to get upset about then you need to get a life.

Quote Originally Posted by 79blue View Post
    I have no issue with changing the official name to Cymru, it is after all the name of our country in the original language.

It also has the secondary affect of winding up the English nationalists in this Telegraph article.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...les-world-cup/

Mind you reading some of the comments on this forum and the comments on the article, it appears there are some kindred spirits.
    “The team should always be called Cymru, that's what we call it here,” Mooney told the Press Association. "Our view at the moment is that domestically we're clearly called Cymru. That's what we call our national teams."

Thats bollocks mind isn't it. If by 'here' he means Wales, as in the country..

I don't know anyone who has ever called the team Cymru in the English language.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    “The team should always be called Cymru, that's what we call it here,” Mooney told the Press Association. "Our view at the moment is that domestically we're clearly called Cymru. That's what we call our national teams."

You're absolutely right. It is complete bollocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    The Germani were a particular collection of tribes and the word 'Deutsch' is considered to have come from a German word that means 'folk'.
    Some Latin languages and Welsh use names for Germany that relate to the Alemmani tribes (Allemagne etc) and some Baltic languages relate to the Saxon tribes (Saksa in Finnish). Eastern European languages use a word for Germany that meant in their respective languages 'non-speaker i.e Niemcy/Německ/Nemecko (Polish, Czech and Slovak respectively).
    In what is a large country, its identity is associated either with different tribes or being foreign.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post

I think he means the FAW when he says that's what we call it here. He sounds like another jobsworth trying to justify his position.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    There’s some right weird herbs in here fair play. If this is all you have to get upset about then you need to get a life.
    You think it's insignificant the way in which your country is addressed?

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    5-4 after penalties.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    You think it's insignificant the way in which your country is addressed?
    Why shouldn’t a country be addressed in the name of its own language?

Welsh football fans are revered the world over for the passion in which we sing the national anthem but don’t dare call the team by it’s welsh language name

We will be singing GSTK before games it was left up to some of the bootlickers on here.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Why shouldn’t a country be addressed in the name of its own language?
    The World Cup draw would be a nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Got to be fishing here.
    I’d do the same ….. English mother and grandparents, English wife , Welsh Speaking son.

quite like France too as French ancestors