+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Wales considering renaming as Cymru

Re: Wales considering renaming as Cymru

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Stop being so calm and reasonable, this is clearly an attempt by the Cymric speaking overlords of Pontcanna to take over everything and stop the M4 relief road, or something

Joking aside what this has done is show how out of step some of the forum are with the Welsh setup/fanbase, like you said I imagine if it was voted on by FAW members then they'd go for Cymru and the atmosphere at games is definitely one that embraces the Welsh language and Welsh-language culture (they had Dafydd Iwan on the pitch ffs!). And that isn't down to supposed bandwagons either, it's been like it for some time and the FAW have tapped into it as well and they have done for some time

You're also absolutely right on the point regarding the FAW's branding, calling the national team Cymru is the logical next step to ensure consistency across their brand
    It's a fait acomplis then

Ah well never mind

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Apart from already deliberately calling the team ‘Cymru’ instead of Wales, I see that they are now adopting that awful song Yma O Hyd as the official Wales World Cup anthem. They said something about it being recorded at CCFC stadium during the qualifiers and ‘sung by 70000 Welsh fans’. I very much doubt it - hardly anybody knows the words, including the players. Plus they played the song at full volume over the crowd anyway.
    I love yma o hyd and they can play it every game as far as I am concerned

I don't speak Welsh but that song and the lyrics are superb

I don't go for patriotism too much but I am more than happy to hear that

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Out of curiosity, how many of those who are moaning about Wales being named in its own language would rather a national anthem in English?
    That's an easy one for me. I f*cking hate national anthems and all that bollox.

It is a bit of an own goal for the FAW though (pun intended) when the elephant in the room is Cardiff, Swansea, Newport and Wrexham all playing outside of the Cymru system. Change those club names to their Welsh versions and see how that goes down.

Be careful what you wish for. Being Welsh is clearly much more than a flag, anthem or language or accent and shouldn't be linked at all with independence either.

Many of you will know how I think Welsh football club supporters are hypocritical when it comes to emphasising our Welshness but we're happy to have the status of the English Football League system and we won't f*ck off to the Cymru Premier. Well guess what? Carry on like this and we won't be welcome (in the EFL).

The FAW have always been a bunch of arseholes. They've always run Welsh football really badly. Anyone who's read about and followed Welsh football history will know this.

In my view, it's a bad move for football in Wales unless all clubs playing in the EFL system are on board with it.

It is a rebrand. It is divisive. It doesn't need to happen. It will backfire.

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    I've never understood why a name is ever translated, especially as a country. I wouldn't be surprised that a few on here arguing for maintaining Wales, think Spain and Germany are called that in German and Spanish.
    Particularly when I bet most of our fans don't know what Wales actually means.

BTW, we don't even play our home internationals at our 'National Stadium' but a ground that's home to Cardiff City who play in the EFL. How much more hypocritical can we get?

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post

It is a bit of an own goal for the FAW though (pun intended) when the elephant in the room is Cardiff, Swansea, Newport and Wrexham all playing outside of the Cymru system. Change those club names to their Welsh versions and see how that goes down.

Be careful what you wish for. Being Welsh is clearly much more than a flag, anthem or language or accent and shouldn't be linked at all with independence either.

Many of you will know how I think Welsh football club supporters are hypocritical when it comes to emphasising our Welshness but we're happy to have the status of the English Football League system and we won't f*ck off to the Cymru Premier. Well guess what? Carry on like this and we won't be welcome (in the EFL).

The FAW have always been a bunch of arseholes. They've always run Welsh football really badly. Anyone who's read about and followed Welsh football history will know this.

In my view, it's a bad move for football in Wales unless all clubs playing in the EFL system are on board with it.

Well it certainly doesn't need to happen that's for sure . If our player pool declines and we don't make the euros or world Cup for another 50 years its not that Cmyru is going to spread the countries positivity very far as we won't be in the news

But if we do well ......the word Cymru will be in everyone's faces hmmmm

If everyone in Wales was the same as a traditional Welsh native speaker in a slate mining terraced village in North Wales......ie 100 percent Welsh speaking within family and local community and very little to do with English speaking culture ......and the team and the fans were all like this ......then fair enough

But we can ensure these communities are safeguarded and the traditional language and culture is protected and strengthened without turning it into a pseudo Cymru first competition

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Poland was colonial , of a sort ?
    Poland and Lithuania (a singular entity) ruled over a very large swathe of Eastern Europe on the one hand - and disappeared from the map for over a century on the other hand.

On Monday I had the pleasure of being a part of the opening ceremony of the World Kickboxing Championship at Cardiff Castle. I spoke for a short while to a Canadian lady, who was delighted to hear the choir I was with singing Yma O Hyd in Welsh. She had stayed in Cardiff over the weekend and was disappointed not to have heard any Welsh at all as she moved around the city.

In short, she said we should be so proud as a country to have our own language. We should be proud of something that is a big part of our identity as a country and we need to do everything we can to protect, promote and use it. To hear that from someone who lives that far away was quite something.

BTW, we don't even play our home internationals at our 'National Stadium' but a ground that's home to Cardiff City who play in the EFL. How much more hypocritical can we get?
    What is our football national stadium?

Nonsense. It's not a rebrand. It's about calling a country by its own name in its own language. Sorry that offends you.

What is our football national stadium?
    That's a very good question Eric. You tell me?

Particularly when I bet most of our fans don't know what Wales actually means.
    How far do you want to go back ?

Do you want us to be an independent country ?

If you do , what is the position of Cardiff city going to be in that country and are you going to support us staying in the English pyramid ?

Nonsense. It's not a rebrand. It's about calling a country by its own name in its own language. Sorry that offends you.
    It doesn't offend me. It concerns me. I've expressed my concern and what I think about it. Sorry if that offends you.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Poland and Lithuania (a singular entity) ruled over a very large swathe of Eastern Europe on the one hand - and disappeared from the map for over a century on the other hand.
    Prussia ? Where Hitler got his best generals

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    How far do you want to go back ?
    You obviously don't know then.

An easy one for me, i hate nationalism in all its forms so they can **** off. Its bad enough getting Dafydd Iwan on the pitch beforehand.

That's a very good question Eric. You tell me?
    We don't have one. We have an adopted ground but can use any if we wanted. The status of any club playing at those grounds bears no relevance at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff Ultra View Post
    An easy one for me, i hate nationalism in all its forms so they can **** off. Its bad enough getting Dafydd Iwan on the pitch beforehand.
    So calling Wales Cymru is nationalism? I despair.

It doesn't offend me. It concerns me. I've expressed my concern and what I think about it. Sorry if that offends you.
    I accept that you are concerned that people in Wales might call the country by its own proper name in its own language.

We don't have one. We have an adopted ground but can use any if we wanted. The status of any club playing at those grounds bears no relevance at all.
    I think it does Eric.

Its part of the (imho) aggressive push of the language which is absolutely tied to Welsh nationalism.

On Monday I had the pleasure of being a part of the opening ceremony of the World Kickboxing Championship at Cardiff Castle. I spoke for a short while to a Canadian lady, who was delighted to hear the choir I was with singing Yma O Hyd in Welsh. She had stayed in Cardiff over the weekend and was disappointed not to have heard any Welsh at all as she moved around the city.

In short, she said we should be so proud as a country to have our own language. We should be proud of something that is a big part of our identity as a country and we need to do everything we can to protect, promote and use it. To hear that from someone who lives that far away was quite something.
    But isn't that what is happening ?

People who think this is daft are not on the whole anti Welsh or anti Welsh language

This is a modern country that saw waves of English and Irish immigration into the valleys to dig coal and immigration from all over the world to grow its population centres

It's 2022 and Welsh is strong according to my Welsh speaking mates .

Is renaming the Welsh football team as Cymru doing everything this woman suggests is needed to promote the language and associated culture ?

It's no good if people in New York know about the Welsh language and how proud we are but all the blokes down the pub in pontypridd support the English team man United

You obviously don't know then.
    I know what it means

It's an old English word for outsider

It really doesn't bother most people at all when they find out

So outsider , do you support Welsh independence and if you do what about Cardiff City

I accept that you are concerned that people in Wales might call the country by its own proper name in its own language.
    There is no proper name. If you go down that route, you have to start thinking in terms of a proper accent, being more *insert national identity* than the next person. It's already happening in this thread. You're doing it. I'm not having a go at you and I don't think it's malicious and I don't want to fall out with anyone....but this is where this stuff always goes and I'm sick of it tbh. F*ck anthems, flags and the like. It's not for me.

I think it does Eric.
    Scenario. Wales co-hosts the Euros. That's the FAW. UEFA won't allow the CCS to be used because the team playing there isn't a part of the FAW. Still saying it bears relevance?