+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Wales considering renaming as Cymru

Re: Wales considering renaming as Cymru

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    So you are not a nationalist ?

I find that incredibly hard not to believe
    The sad thing here, regardless of my opinion, is that you regard anyone who might prioritise or "big up" Cymru is a nationalist.

Just to summarise here....I'm NOT anti-Welsh language or any language.

Mrs Citizen is English and has been learning Welsh for years now and even has her own WhatApp group in Welsh.

I think the FAW are a bunch of tossers though and I think there's massive hypocrisy surrounding Wales and Welsh football for the reasons I've already stated.

I seem to remember when Wales were a lot less successful some of the Welsh away support knockingczbout with Welsh Republican and Free Wales Army flags which didn't cause as much of a reaction as using the term Cymru?

Can anyone remember the 'In your holiday homes..." ditty sang every other week from the Bob Bank? I bet every City supportercwhobever sang that was a paid up member of Meibion Glyndwr?

There's some revisionist history going on here tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    The sad thing here, regardless of my opinion, is that you regard anyone who might prioritise or "big up" Cymru is a nationalist.
    No I don't

But what about you 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    I seem to remember when Wales were a lot less successful some of the Welsh away support knockingczbout with Welsh Republican and Free Wales Army flags which didn't cause as much of a reaction as using the term Cymru?

Can anyone remember the 'In your holiday homes..." ditty sang every other week from the Bob Bank? I bet every City supportercwhobever sang that was a paid up member of Meibion Glyndwr?

There's some revisionist history going on here tonight.
    The stoned freaks who were hanging up Welsh nationalist banners were not running the policy section of the FAW

And that's the problem here

Surely there should be some sort of consultation if the team we know as Wales is to be known as Cymru in official quarters from now on ?

I don't think the issue is ......well that's what we SHOULD be called ......or that's what our TRUE name is .......or what we CYMRAEG speakers want .......

I think people are missing the point

Well I don't see myself as barely Welsh

I was born here, went to school here and returned here after university and early work years

I spend my money here , I voted for the Welsh assembly , I go on holiday in Wales, I follow the football team that represents the capital city of this country and when Wales are playing football I don't support England or Iceland , I support Wales

This country has changed since 1800 and these days the area we live in has more in common with North Somerset, Tyneside , West Yorkshire etc

That means people from all over the place live here and not everybody is Welsh or speaks Welsh

In fact most of us don't. I know the language was trampled on but thankfully it's strong .

However much you want the country to be like you want it to be with its own parliament and its own tax raising powers and its independence the majority of people want and support a strong language but want to be in the same sort of legal and financial system as people in Somerset, Yorkshire and Cornwall .

I think you are a nationalist and the reason why you grab hold of luckies like the FAW is that it brings you closer to what you want .
    Man who forever harps on about people from Wales identifying with areas and pretending to support football teams from another country (the glory seeking hordes of South Wales) now tells us South Wales has more in common with other parts of a neighbouring country than their country itself.

You can't make it up?

Don't respond Sludge, I'm half taking the pisss. Only half mind.

The stoned freaks who were hanging up Welsh nationalist banners were not running the policy section of the FAW

And that's the problem here

Surely there should be some sort of consultation if the team we know as Wales is to be known as Cymru in official quarters from now on ?

I don't think the issue is ......well that's what we SHOULD be called ......or that's what our TRUE name is .......or what we CYMRAEG speakers want .......

I think people are missing the point
    Sludge, you're interpreting the use of 'Cymru' as a political and nationalist statement.

It's obviously a marketing tool and and an expression of identity.

If the Welsh FA ask their Red Wall members, I bet Cymru gets voted through? Not everyone of those who would vote for it, would be a raving nationalist.

Kind of mixed feelings on it.
    There has been a HUGE increase in people's knowledge or realization of Wales in my experience here in the US over the last 20 years.

Amazing actually the impact that Gareth Bale has had.

A change so profound would lose that international momentum which would be a shame to me.

That being said Cymru is the name of our Country and I would love it if everyone could speak Welsh.
    In addition, the Welsh speaking North has really supported Wales above and beyond forever.

Also the words on the badge before the dumbing down...Gorau Chwarae Cyd Chwarae

All of this though should be addressed after the World Cup IMO.
    Last edited by Wash DC Blue; 01-11-22 at 01:50. Reason: Afterthought

Dinas Caerdydd at the CCS, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    BTW, we don't even play our home internationals at our 'National Stadium' but a ground that's home to Cardiff City who play in the EFL. How much more hypocritical can we get?
    We havent got a National Stadium??

Sludge, the man who has told us many times he doesnt care for international football, all over this thread like a tramp on chips.

Hysterical.

Sludge, you're interpreting the use of 'Cymru' as a political and nationalist statement.

It's obviously a marketing tool and and an expression of identity.

If the Welsh FA ask their Red Wall members, I bet Cymru gets voted through? Not everyone of those who would vote for it, would be a raving nationalist.
    Hes just worried pictures of him dressed as a Welsh Lady in the Cowbridge Carnival are going to resurface.

Man who forever harps on about people from Wales identifying with areas and pretending to support football teams from another country (the glory seeking hordes of South Wales) now tells us South Wales has more in common with other parts of a neighbouring country than their country itself.

You can't make it up?

Well I suppose only sort of more in common

I mean to be fair you don't hear of coachloads of Geordies catching buses to go to watch Liverpool unlike our part of the world

I mean let's preserve this language but forget about daffyd Ellis Thomas being a man United fan

We will brush that under the carpet because he speaks Welsh aye

You can't make it up?

Well played that man

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Sludge, the man who has told us many times he doesnt care for international football, all over this thread like a tramp on chips.

Hysterical.
    You find those quotes and I will buy you and all your valley mates a bag of chips ......every day

Well played that man
    Well if your butties in Merthyr are going to watch Liverpool or Wolves then they can't claim to be as Welsh as they seemingly want us to be

Well if your butties in Merthyr are going to watch Liverpool or Wolves then they can't claim to be as Welsh as they seemingly want us to be
    Thats a very xenophobic view point. So what youre saying is if you want to see the Welsh language prosper youre not allowed to like an English football team? Is that what your saying?

Does that mean anyone who wants to use the Welsh language should swap Fish & Chips for Cawl immediately or they are a hypocrite?

Thats a very xenophobic view point. So what youre saying is if you want to see the Welsh language prosper youre not allowed to like an English football team? Is that what your saying?

Does that mean anyone who wants to use the Welsh language should swap Fish & Chips for Cawl immediately or they are a hypocrite?
    I am saying these Welsh speaking welshmen supporting English football teams are talking cobblers and they want the penny and the bun

You don't support the Welsh language or the Welsh national team by walking around Cardiff in a man United, Liverpool or wolves shirt or spending your time on LFC social media

You don't embrace this welshness the FAW seem to be running with by cheering on man United

Something nobody seems to have picked up on is that according to The Guardian "The issue of an official name change for Wales was brought into focus last month when Robert Page’s side were drawn in the same Euro 2024 qualifying group as Turkey, who now compete internationally as Türkiye. The change came after the Ankara government called for the country to be known globally by its Turkish name".

Türkiye was approved and lobbied at UN level.

Noel Mooney's a tw*t who should stick to strutting around with the Qataris and keep his Irish nose out. He's UEFA's former head of strategic development so this is definitely a re-branding and will backfire.

Caerdydd, Abertawe, Casnewydd next and then welcome to the Cymru Premier Dinas Caerdydd fans because it's the inevitable conclusion. Do you think we'll be welcome in the EFL for much longer with this plonker in charge of the FAW? This is a really bad move for Welsh football in the long-term. I'd say it's a bad move for Wales as a nation too.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    We havent got a National Stadium??
    If you speak to anyone outside of the minority group of Red Wall members then the vast majority of people inside and outside Wales would regard The Principality Stadium as the natural home of international sporting fixtures. There are many who may not like this, but it's true.

It's good enough for Champions League finals, FA Cup Finals, major sporting events etc but not good enough for Wales to play their home internationals there anymore.

I think it's more hypocrisy.

I know this view isn't popular but it doesn't make it untrue.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    It'll be a nightmare for the media deciding whether to pronounce it either come-roo, simroo, simree, or maybe even come-ree?
    Many of them struggle with Birminum🙄
    i blame bregzit for this

Something nobody seems to have picked up on is that according to The Guardian "The issue of an official name change for Wales was brought into focus last month when Robert Page’s side were drawn in the same Euro 2024 qualifying group as Turkey, who now compete internationally as Türkiye. The change came after the Ankara government called for the country to be known globally by its Turkish name".

Noel Mooney's a tw*t who should stick to strutting around with the Qataris and keep his Irish nose out. He's UEFA's former head of strategic development so this is definitely a re-branding and will backfire.

Caerdydd, Abertawe, Casnewydd next and then welcome to the Cymru Premier Dinas Caerdydd fans because it's the inevitable conclusion. Do you think we'll be welcome in the EFL for much longer with this plonker in charge of the FAW? This is a really bad move for Welsh football in the long-term. I'd say it's a bad move for Wales as a nation too.
    What makes him a twat?

I've seen no mention of club football being affected.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    What makes him a twat?

I've seen no mention of club football being affected.
    I'm not wishing to be rude mate but have you read The Guardian article?

“But I think 2023 will be a year when we have a good discussion with all the different stakeholders – governments, our own boards, councils and decision-making bodies, staff, club and players".

I am saying these Welsh speaking welshmen supporting English football teams are talking cobblers and they want the penny and the bun

You don't support the Welsh language or the Welsh national team by walking around Cardiff in a man United, Liverpool or wolves shirt or spending your time on LFC social media

You don't embrace this welshness the FAW seem to be running with by cheering on man United
    Nah, you're the one talking cobblers as per usual. BY this logic you shouldnt support Cardiff City. You dont even live in Cardiff.

I'm not against the concept but it would look pretty half-arsed if the country didn't change its name politically as well.