+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: FT: WALES 1 - 1 U.S.A. Match thread

Re: FT: WALES 1 - 1 U.S.A. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    What utter shite !!

He’s still a class act and a game changer
    Messi, Lewandowski, Thiago, Perisic ....the list goes on. All players who have a year or two (or four) on Rambo who are still doing the business, in some cases playing the best football of their careers.

You can be 90% the player you are at 35 as you were at 25 nowadays.....unless you are injury prone.

With Rambo, I know he's had knocks but for the type of position he plays on the field It doesn't make sense to me, on the face of it, that he should be "done" at this level. Seems a bit melodramatic.

I got the feeling the players didn't believe in themselves much at the last euros and you get the vibe they are just kind of winging it , or muddling their way through games with a bit of guts and moments of inspiration. My suspicion is that the coaching and tactical side of the game is probably not up to the standard as opposed to the players....or at least that this part of the setup contributes a fair bit to our shoddy displays.

Iran will fancy their chances against us definitely and if we start the England game as we did tonight against the USA, they will slaughter us. Hope I'm wrong of course but sadly I foresee an early departure. My heart sank when Moore came on but I must admit his time at Bournemouth has been beneficial by the look of it. He certainly looked less of a "headless chicken" than he used to do at City.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Bluebird View Post
    After the anger of how bad we were in the first half and the stress of the second half, I think it just hit me that I just saw Wales at a World Cup, never mind taking a point off a country 10x the size and with probably more than that again in terms of money and resources. I didn't get as emotional as I thought I would at either of the Euros even being there in person in France, but this one has hit different tonight.
    Nice post.

....did you write it yourself?

Seriously though, that's the spirit.

Don't quite understand the Rambo is past it stuff. He's been inconsistent his entire career including for Wales. He's worth his place in the side because when he's good he makes things happen. The likes of James can't and shouldn't be carried.

They gave Bale man of the match ffs

I think Bale should be coming off the bench, he’s not fit or sharp enough to start. Ramsey played a lot better second half, and hopefully he grows into the tournament.

I thought Mepham and Ampadu were our best players. Maybe Neco until he went off.

We’re a much better side with Moore in it.

Not a bad point really, USA are no mugs.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    Don't quite understand the Rambo is past it stuff. He's been inconsistent his entire career including for Wales. He's worth his place in the side because when he's good he makes things happen. The likes of James can't and shouldn't be carried.
    Yeah he might have a blinder v Iran….let’s hope

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    My heart sank when Moore came on but I must admit his time at Bournemouth has been beneficial by the look of it. He certainly looked less of a "headless chicken" than he used to do at City.
    When he scored 20 odd goals? I agree he’s improved, a lot tidier and more composed.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    When he scored 20 odd goals? I agree he’s improved, a lot tidier and more composed.
    For a guy who is 6 ft 5 , Moore is a useful player

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    Messi, Lewandowski, Thiago, Perisic ....the list goes on. All players who have a year or two (or four) on Rambo who are still doing the business, in some cases playing the best football of their careers.

You can be 90% the player you are at 35 as you were at 25 nowadays.....unless you are injury prone.

With Rambo, I know he's had knocks but for the type of position he plays on the field It doesn't make sense to me, on the face of it, that he should be "done" at this level. Seems a bit melodramatic.

I got the feeling the players didn't believe in themselves much at the last euros and you get the vibe they are just kind of winging it , or muddling their way through games with a bit of guts and moments of inspiration. My suspicion is that the coaching and tactical side of the game is probably not up to the standard as opposed to the players....or at least that this part of the setup contributes a fair bit to our shoddy displays.
    What a load of verbal diarrhoea

we've got a point and our players have been 'blooded' on the WC stage.

I think we've done very well and credit to all.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Bluebird View Post
    After the anger of how bad we were in the first half and the stress of the second half, I think it just hit me that I just saw Wales at a World Cup, never mind taking a point off a country 10x the size and with probably more than that again in terms of money and resources. I didn't get as emotional as I thought I would at either of the Euros even being there in person in France, but this one has hit different tonight.
    The USA is 100x bigger than Wales in population; 450x bigger in land mass and more than 200x bigger in GDP.

We are minnows.

But 11 v 11 and 1- 1, so who cares. And better fans and anthems!

Did anyone see Steve Morison on SSN at half time?

He was the match pundit (did well I thought) and was asked what he would do to change things after a dire first half.

Answer: bring on Kieffer Moore, Rubin Colwill and Mark Harris!

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    What a load of verbal diarrhoea
    I was agreeing with you ya dull 'ed

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Iran will fancy their chances against us definitely and if we start the England game as we did tonight against the USA, they will slaughter us. Hope I'm wrong of course but sadly I foresee an early departure. My heart sank when Moore came on but I must admit his time at Bournemouth has been beneficial by the look of it. He certainly looked less of a "headless chicken" than he used to do at City.
    Iran slaughter us.🤣🤣🤣 Did you see them?

They were shocking.

The negativity in this thread is incredible when you consider that we’ve just played our first match at a World Cup Finals in sixty four years and we got what in the end was a deserved draw against a team which was slightly above us in the world rankings. I think people get spoilt because we’ve qualified for the knock out phase of the three major tournaments we’ve been in before now and are expecting, not hoping for, the same again from what, according to the rankings is the hardest group in this World Cup.

For years we had a team that people would look at and say we had a good, young squad with a lot of potential and in 2016 especially, they fulfilled that potential. Now that “golden generation” are old in football terms, the two best talents from that era are,understandably given the injuries they’ve had and the passing of time, not the same players any more and last night we were missing a very important central midfielder who is also not the player he once was.

Apart from Ben Davies, we don’t have any truly top class performers who are “the right age” for this tournament- we’re a team with a nucleus of great and good players on their way down or promising young ones on the way up. We may not have another golden generation coming through, but they’re, potentially, good enough to ensure that we don’t go so long without qualifying once the trail blazers we have now have retired. We’re a very small country in comparison to most who are here and we’re not as strong as we were six years ago - that’s the reality of our situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    But you've never seen a manager change it in the first half when playing as badly as we did tonight.

If Page changed his mind as often as you we'd have won.
    He didn’t have to substitute, switching players around would have helped. Especially moving Dan James as he didn’t get to touch the ball

We could have gotten more out of that game but Page messed it realistically.

So proud though

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I think there’s are a few on here who were expecting us to win the whole thing. It was quite similar to Switzerland in the Euros, not a bad point at all.
    Yes, that game came back to my mind too. Lots of pre-tournament expectation and then disappointment of 'only drawing with Switzerland' (a team that went on to knock France out of that tournament). I would say though that Switzerland in that game were much better than USA last night, and whilst we were second best against the Swiss, we played better then than we did last night.

I see some expect us to stuff Iran. I think it could be more difficult than people expect.

The first thing is to beat Iran. That really should be easy. However we probably need to get a comfortable win.

While I think talking of Page out and us being the worst side in the tournament , Iran slaughtering us was way over the top they are not excluded from criticism either.

Its not a holiday they are a bunch of highly paid pros and the fans should rightly expect better than the 1st half yesterday.

Bale and Ramsey and Bale in particular look way off match fitness but both somehow got us a result which in my opinion puts us in a great position.

If we put in a good performance Friday we will beat Iran with ease.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post

Every player looked an island last night, and to compound it Ramsey and Bale were giving simple passes away just when they should have been showing some leadership. I hope Allen's fit for Iran because I'd def. play him for 45 mins, his energy alone would be an asset.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Every player looked an island last night, and to compound it Ramsey and Bale were giving simple passes away just when they should have been showing some leadership. I hope Allen's fit for Iran because I'd def. play him for 45 mins, his energy alone would be an asset.
    No. He hasnt played for months.

That will be 3 players lacking match fitness.

Wales recover from self inflicted selection wound to stay in running for last sixteen place.

Sixty four and a half years since Wales' last World Cup goal and point.

https://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

lets be honest, Pagey got it wrong in the 1st 1/2, but fair play to him, he made the changes, gave them a talking to, and the 2nd 1/2 we were by far the better team and would have gone on to win that game

at 1/2 time I would have loved a point, at full time with our 2nd 1/2 performance I couldnt help but think we dropped 2 points

in the last few minutes Bale lost the ball in midfield and sprinted back to Cover and win the ball back, he has kept himself fit enough to play

what was worrying was the USA team Flopping down and the ref stopping the game, the ref didnt know how to deal with it when it happened for the 3rd or 4th time, it was fine the 1st time, Wales gave the ball back to the USA, but it kept happening and the ref was lost, in the end he gave Wales a dropped ball in our 1/2

oh and how the hell was that foul on Bale when the keeper was way out not a red card ?? ?

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    lets be honest, Pagey got it wrong in the 1st 1/2, but fair play to him, he made the changes, gave them a talking to, and the 2nd 1/2 we were by far the better team and would have gone on to win that game

at 1/2 time I would have loved a point, at full time with our 2nd 1/2 performance I couldnt help but think we dropped 2 points

in the last few minutes Bale lost the ball in midfield and sprinted back to Cover and win the ball back, he has kept himself fit enough to play

what was worrying was the USA team Flopping down and the ref stopping the game, the ref didnt know how to deal with it when it happened for the 3rd or 4th time, it was fine the 1st time, Wales gave the ball back to the USA, but it kept happening and the ref was lost, in the end he gave Wales a dropped ball in our 1/2

oh and how the hell was that foul on Bale when the keeper was way out not a red card ?? ?
    My first thought was ot should be a red card. He was about to shoot, which is about as close to a goalscoring opportunity as you can get.

Couldn’t wait to get in at half time and didn’t want the game to finish despite 9mins of injury time.

First half made me think “We really could’ve done with a few friendlies” in the run up to this, had it been a normal World Cup. In a way, I feel like we’ve been in an extended “transition” since the high point of the Coleman era. Not complaining with a euros and WC appearance in that time though!

First half looked like the players had never played with each other before. Nerves of the occasion perhaps, who knows. US played their part in that and looked very tidy in possession and are a good striker off being a very decent side.

Bale and Ramsey have become wasteful in possession but they make that moment to get us back in the game. Rodon had one of his worst performances in a Welsh shirt, especially first half. Game passed Wilson by and that midfield combo just didn’t work. Ref was very card happy for both sides as well which I hate to see.

Ampadu MOM followed by Kieffer, who looked very tidy in possession. You’d have to think he starts Friday.

Build up was emotional and a bit surreal, probably added to by where it’s being played. Proud moment to see us line up.