Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
We’re a weird old country, the withdrawing of labour by a number off BBC presenters, many ex footballers has brought a few hoorays from people with the view that they’re overpaid, no good etc. These presenters, especially the ex pros, are mostly working class people who’ve actually done what school advised them, work hard at your chosen vocation, use your skills to get on. The jealousy of the wages they earn is quite pathetic, they’ve reached the point they’re at through hard work and dedication. Perhaps the brainwashing by the right wing, old money ‘upper class’ through their controlling of the media with a ‘how dare they have as much wealth as my family has and have had for centuries’ is to blame, they know a lot of folk, sadly, will join in their disgust.

It’s not a race to the bottom and we should be proud of people who have come from the same walk of life as us, council estates etc, and they’ve highly achieved. Do other countries snipe at people who’ve got on in life like the UK does?
I don't begrudge players a penny; it would only go in a director's pocket instead. But I don't think Lineker and Shearer (especially) in their current roles provide value for money. Few would miss them if they were replaced and in the latter's case a hatstand would be more informative and the (public) money better spent. However, this situation looks like it'll die down and MOTD will return to its usual boring, complacent old pals format.