Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
I think it is a national problem after decades of underinvestment (especially since the 2010 Austerity Cult took charge) and a huge rise in traffic. Didn't Hunt throw a few quid at potholes in his recent budget?

In Sheffield the roads were amongst the worst of any city in the UK by the mid 2000s. The Council got into a 25 year PFI deal with Amey to renew and maintain the roads, verges, highway trees (leading to a very embarrassing 'tree scandal' that is still rumbling on). The first roads were re-surfaced in 2012. We live above the 'snow line' and are on a busy school and bus route - so more hammer than many - but the rate of deterioration of a 'new' road surface was shocking. Deep gouges, potholes and tons of gravel washing downhill. The road we live on has just been re-done for the second time since the original 2012 surfacing works (three times in under 12 years). It looks like another superficial, crap job to me that won't last 5 years. Is this the way all major contractors deal with roads now?

However, there is a 50m stretch of road just outside our house that was replaced by Yorkshire Water after a mains burst about 7-8 years ago with a different contractor and spec from Amey. It is perfect.
I think it's an endless problem. Generally fixed for the longer term by repaving the whole road which is clearly more expensive.

Three times in 12 years sounds excessive to me. What are you and your neighbours doing on that road for goodness sake?