+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else there that night ?

Anyone else there that night ?

one of my earliest memories trudging down ninian park . was in the canton stand

Re: Anyone else there that night ?

Superb, emotional night. I also recall not getting out of the car park until 11pm.

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post

Was also in the Canton Stand with my Dad and my Uncle. Special memories of that one. We went on holiday to West Wales the next weekend so missed the next game which if memory serves me was against Swindon and something like 22,000 were there

Grange end for me that night.
    The thing that stands out for me apart from the amazing night in general was the chant of Allison Allison shut your mouth.... Allison Allison shut your mouth

Yup. Our Doug Livermore (another surly scouser) and our Alan Campbell, Didn’t begin to make up for the mullering at Edgar Street two months earlier.

Yes in The Grange end with my dad. Remember they had a goal disallowed when it was still 0-0. Way more than 35k there that night as others have said.

If memory serves, I think Dixie McNeil and Ledbury’s Steve Emery got on the scoresheet in the 4-1 mullering.

I was there stood on the Grange End. All I can recall was the place filling up and becoming increasingly cramped. Also remember a pitiful number of Hereford fans in attendance, probably 100 or fewer.

Highlights of that season was beating Big Mal's Crystal Palace away with a late Adrian Alston goal at the opposite end then several thousand of us being forcibly held inside the stadium for what seemed like an age.

Best of all was a last game victory at Bury to clinch promotion. It was akin to Scunthorpe away years later for another extended knees-up promotion celebration where home supporters were few in number.

An incidental memory that stuck from that night was the sheer number of Liverpool fans' coaches that were headed to Wolves where they won to take the First Division title.

I lived in Llandaff North at that time.
    Normally we would walk all the way, however, I don't know why we changed our plans that particular evening, but we decided to catch a bus on Western Avenue (near the technical college).
    Anyway, we waited and waited, nothing came. Finally, an out-of-service bus spotted us with our City scarfs and gave us a lift.
    The driver explained that he was going to the Sloper Road depot and was himself attending the game.
    We arrived on the Bob Bank about 20 minutes late. All you could see on the old Grange End was a 'sea of heads'!
    The atmosphere that evening was electric.

My first City game. Stood on the Bob Bank with my granddad.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    I was there stood on the Grange End. All I can recall was the place filling up and becoming increasingly cramped. Also remember a pitiful number of Hereford fans in attendance, probably 100 or fewer.

Highlights of that season was beating Big Mal's Crystal Palace away with a late Adrian Alston goal at the opposite end then several thousand of us being forcibly held inside the stadium for what seemed like an age.

Best of all was a last game victory at Bury to clinch promotion. It was akin to Scunthorpe away years later for another extended knees-up promotion celebration where home supporters were few in number.

An incidental memory that stuck from that night was the sheer number of Liverpool fans' coaches that were headed to Wolves where they won to take the First Division title.
    According to the Echoes and Western Mails I read in my research for Tony Evans Walks on Water, there were a couple of thousand Hereford fans there - they kept very quiet however many there were.

Was on the Bob Bank with my parents. Apart from the penalty shoot out in 1971 with Dinamo Berlin when she came in to watch while my Dad stayed in the car parked outside the ground, it was the only game my mum went to after having me. My Dad hadn't been to a game for about five years - it was the last City game either of them watched.

The friends I usually went to games with missed the first twenty five minutes because of the queueing at the turnstiles - I can remember both goals very clearly, the first one especially was good enough to grace such an occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    According to the Echoes and Western Mails I read in my research for Tony Evans Walks on Water, there were a couple of thousand Hereford fans there - they kept very quiet however many there were.

Was on the Bob Bank with my parents. Apart from the penalty shoot out in 1971 with Dinamo Berlin when she came in to watch while my Dad stayed in the car parked outside the ground, it was the only game my mum went to after having me. My Dad hadn't been to a game for about five years - it was the last City game either of them watched.

The friends I usually went to games with missed the first twenty five minutes because of the queueing at the turnstiles - I can remember both goals very clearly, the first one especially was good enough to grace such an occasion.
    I went with my Dad, stood in the enclosure
    It took an age to get out afterwards, it was always credited with an attendance of 35-36000
    I’m not sure how many more could have fitted in that night

back of the grange end for me stood on one of the cross sections so i could see

I was standing on the Bob Bank and there were two Hereford fans (black & white scarfs) in front of me, looked like a father and young son. I don't recall seeing any other Hereford fans that evening, although I'm sure there had to be more somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    My first City game. Stood on the Bob Bank with my granddad.
    Like you, my first ever city game. Went with my old man and his mate from work in the canton stand. Happy days!

For some inexplicable reason em and a mate ended up driving down from Leckwith hill in order to avoid the traffic. We could see the top of the bob bank jammed with probably 45 mins to go. Distinctively remember- from the enclosure Mike England clenching his fist and grinning as the came off at the end. Also away game, well, well beaten by Hereford in front of 14,0000.

Grange End for me with a couple of my mates from school

I wuz there.

I was there with my friend from high school, his dad and grandad.

It’s funny how the passage of time plays tricks on personal memories, because for some reason I seem to think that we were stood in the bob bank… but if the grange-end was still the home end back then, then we would have been in the grange-end.

Does anyone know when the grange-end got rebuilt? Then I will know when we moved to the bob bank.

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfSiamIAm View Post
    I was there with my friend from high school, his dad and grandad.

It’s funny how the passage of time plays tricks on personal memories, because for some reason I seem to think that we were stood in the bob bank… but if the grange-end was still the home end back then, then we would have been in the grange-end.

Does anyone know when the grange-end got rebuilt? Then I will know when we moved to the bob bank.
    It would have been the old Grange End in 75/76, it was 77/78 when there were all of the problems with the council about the ground.

It would have been the old Grange End in 75/76, it was 77/78 when there were all of the problems with the council about the ground.
    Did the local paper big the game up in order to attract this huge crowd , as I know what Allison said about our support but you wouldn’t have thought a crowd of up to 45,000 would have turned up based solely on an apposing managers fleeting comments ?

Me and my cousin were in the back row of the Canton Stand. I remember Radio Ninian announcer asking everyone in the enclosures to squeeze up a bit tighter.
    And the oddest memory I have of the night is for some reason I remember them playing the Frankie Valli song “oh what a night” before kick off

I remember watch Hereford - and a few calling their keeper's wide a lesbian and him getting really upset by it, must have have been mid - late 70's

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Did the local paper big the game up in order to attract this huge crowd , as I know what Allison said about our support but you wouldn’t have thought a crowd of up to 45,000 would have turned up based solely on an apposing managers fleeting comments ?
    I thought I remembered a lot from that season, but there was plenty in the research I did that was new to me. For example, despite being team mates at West Ham in the fifties, Malcolm Allison and Jimmy Andrews did not get on - I got the distinct impression that Allison was affected by the fact that it was us, with Andrews in charge, who’d sent Palace down two seasons earlier, he talked rubbish about City when Palace had snuck a 1-0 win at Ninian Park earlier in the season with a last minute goal.

On the Monday before the game, the Echo ran a story in which the club said they were expecting a crowd of thirty thousand and Alison’s claim that there wouldn’t be twenty five thousand there got plenty of coverage - you probably know that Allison was a real celebrity back then, he was on the Big Match most weeks and was still thought of as one of the best manager/coaches around despite him doing a terrible job at Palace up to then (two relegations and taking longer to get out of the third tier than expected).

I thought I remembered a lot from that season, but there was plenty in the research I did that was new to me. For example, despite being team mates at West Ham in the fifties, Malcolm Allison and Jimmy Andrews did not get on - I got the distinct impression that Allison was affected by the fact that it was us, with Andrews in charge, who’d sent Palace down two seasons earlier, he talked rubbish about City when Palace had snuck a 1-0 win at Ninian Park earlier in the season with a last minute goal.

On the Monday before the game, the Echo ran a story in which the club said they were expecting a crowd of thirty thousand and Alison’s claim that there wouldn’t be twenty five thousand there got plenty of coverage - you probably know that Allison was a real celebrity back then, he was on the Big Match most weeks and was still thought of as one of the best manager/coaches around despite him doing a terrible job at Palace up to then (two relegations and taking longer to get out of the third tier than expected).
    Thanks for that.

Shows we have always had the support then, just not consistently enough be be considered a big club.

That said , I think you mentioned it actually, the last two home crowds of 28,252 & 23,365 have showed the clubs fans have remained loyal considering our very poor home form.