Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post

Agree that there are far more practical things to be done, I do also think it's used as a bit of virtue signalling too really, because I don't think the royal family has an impact on people's lives at all. I appreciate that symbolically it does, and that does matter to an extent, but practically there are far more things to be done that are far more useful, in my opinion.

As for the cost to taxpayer's. Well, debating over what govts should spend money on is 50% of all political debate. The reality is money will be spent on things you don't like, and that goes for everyone. That's part and parcel of society.

I'd love to see the royal family open up more, their estates become more open etc, but I do think on balance they are a positive thing for the UK, and that is based to a large part because I see little of substance from those who oppose it in terms of what would replace it.

So I view anti-royalism all as a distraction really. Probably just like many view being pro-royal as a distraction too.

Maybe everyone should just have a beer and let everyone get on with it or not, depending on taste?
Well I agree that there are far more practical things that can be done.
I agree lets all have a beer and get on with it, as I said i'll be doing my own thing to avoid it, although the forecast doesn't look good which does trouble me.
I'm not sure how you can 'view anti-royalism as a distraction' while every possible media outlet is about 24 hours from going into mass overdrive of pro royalism as a distraction.

If they could just self fund this sort of thing then I'd be able to ignore it even more, and without sneering. They have enough money as it is but a few suggestions -

Sponsorship e.g. The Budweiser Buckingham Palace (maybe Brewdog actually, so that at least it's a British brand and might even get a few scots back)
The soldiers could have a little Mcdonalds logo on their backs.
I'm sure coke would chip in with a sign and have the Coca Cola Carriage for when he heads back
Add a few floats into the parade, e.g. Dominos giving out some leaflets to the crowds. They'll all be hungry later.

I'm sure there are plenty more good ideas like these