+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 15 years ago today

Re: 15 years ago today

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Yeah I few in my group almost lost it with them, but after grilling them they were actually Leeds or Everton fans just down for the day out so didn’t really feel it….it was very strange.
    I was having a drink with a couple of genuine Blackpool fans before the game and they were moaning that half their allocation of tickets had ended up with Bury, Blackburn, Rochdale and Wigan fans - who just wanted the day out dressed as Tango men (not many women!).

The real Blackpool fans were great.

Quote Originally Posted by billy.ronson View Post
    I remember sitting on the coach just wanting to go home meanwhile Blackpool "fans" strolled by with no emotion as if they had just been to the cinema or something... we'd have still been in the stadium, singing and celebrating !!! Awful feeling , much worse than FA Cup and League Cup
    I was at Wembley, and a Blackpool fan said he was "by the statue of some bloke". Only Bobby Moore.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I was having a drink with a couple of genuine Blackpool fans before the game and they were moaning that half their allocation of tickets had ended up with Bury, Blackburn, Rochdale and Wigan fans - who just wanted the day out dressed as Tango men (not many women!).

The real Blackpool fans were great.
    In terms of our Wembley visits, my own totally unrepresentative experience, based upon the fans that we met, is that Pompey were a good bunch, Barnsley and especially Blackpool had a good few out looking for trouble, and I can't actually remember meeting any Liverpool fans. Just my own experience and no doubt it would have been different for others.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    In terms of our Wembley visits, my own totally unrepresentative experience, based upon the fans that we met, is that Pompey were a good bunch, Barnsley and especially Blackpool had a good few out looking for trouble, and I can't actually remember meeting any Liverpool fans. Just my own experience and no doubt it would have been different for others.
    Pompey had a fan in our end near me, he got dragged out covered in blood after their goal. Two "fans" in our end took great offence when my dad and I lost it when Ledley scored vs Barnsley. Completely bewildered.

Memories of that day

Ramsey should have started.

Ledley was class.

Glenn Loovens goal that never was.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Memories of that day

Ramsey should have started.

Ledley was class.

Glenn Loovens goal that never was.
    Not Enckelman? That's the first and pretty much only thing I think about. That and hitting side netting towards the end.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Not Enckelman? That's the first and pretty much only thing I think about. That and hitting side netting towards the end.
    Nope. He made a mistake that cost us, but the biggest mistake was not playing Ramsey.

By some weird quirk of fate, my son will be playing at Fratton Park, tomorrow, in an end of season uni staff v lecturers type match. Portsmouth Uni (for whom he works) sponsor Pompey. He will be wearing his City shirt under whatever kit he has to wear and has been primed to do the ayatollah when they score. Not that he needed the hint.

I watched the match in a bar in Estartit Spain. I arrived early to secure a seat thinking the place would be packed out but found I was the only one watching the match. That was a match we could have won had Rambo come on earlier and we had a better goalkeeper.

Being able to go to the FA Cup final, and walk down Wembley way with my lad was enough for me
    to win would have been just icing. I have been de-cluttering in the attic this week, most of my memorabilia has been skipped, I think I've only kept a programme and a flag.

Quote Originally Posted by billy.ronson View Post
    I remember sitting on the coach just wanting to go home meanwhile Blackpool "fans" strolled by with no emotion as if they had just been to the cinema or something... we'd have still been in the stadium, singing and celebrating !!! Awful feeling , much worse than FA Cup and League Cup
    The Blackpool loss was totally gutting, maybe because, for once, we were firm favourites to win.
    Felt down after the FA defeat, but, strangely, felt quite proud of the team after losing to Liverpool.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    The Blackpool loss was totally gutting, maybe because, for once, we were firm favourites to win.
    Felt down after the FA defeat, but, strangely, felt quite proud of the team after losing to Liverpool.
    Echo all of that in terms of emotion

The FA Cup is big in our family not just because of the occasion but also because my daughter was on the opening credits of the highlights show of the semi final and ended up as part of the collage on the James fox CD record for the final as well mcuh to my boys disgust 🙄

Quote Originally Posted by Heathblue View Post
    Being able to go to the FA Cup final, and walk down Wembley way with my lad was enough for me
    to win would have been just icing. I have been de-cluttering in the attic this week, most of my memorabilia has been skipped, I think I've only kept a programme and a flag.
    I walked down Wembley way with my missus, and we still had a row about something!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Nope. He made a mistake that cost us, but the biggest mistake was not playing Ramsey.
    Totally agree with this and whenever my mind wanders to that sad day out, it is the lack of Ramsey I often think of. He made a big difference when he came on, Pompey were there for the taking that day.
    I was there with two of my boys, it should have been memorable, for the right, happy reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I walked down Wembley way with my missus, and we still had a row about something!
    I made mine walk on the other side with the Pompey

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    The reaction to Turner's goal was incredible

Still tinged with sadness as we could have won it on penalties

Being able to go to the FA Cup final, and walk down Wembley way with my lad was enough for me.
    I was looking at my photos from the final earlier. There’s one of you with Julie, Steph and Berlin Blue in Trafalgar Square the night before. Whatever happened to him?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I was looking at my photos from the final earlier. There’s one of you with Julie, Steph and Berlin Blue in Trafalgar Square the night before. Whatever happened to him?
    That's a blast from the past, we had a night out with him in Berlin during our visit there. Just asked Julie, we think his name is Jeff.

That's a blast from the past, we had a night out with him in Berlin during our visit there. Just asked Julie, we think his name is Jeff.
    Yes, that rings a bell. We met up because I’d sorted him a ticket. Couldn’t remember staying overnight but I must have stayed with Steph.

So, you went to Berlin, and had a night out with someone, and you had to ask your missus what his name was. Fair play, that's a thing of beauty....

Yes, that rings a bell. We met up because I’d sorted him a ticket. Couldn’t remember staying overnight but I must have stayed with Steph.
    **** me, you're at it now as well. Poor bloke from Berlin with no name.

So, you went to Berlin, and had a night out with someone, and you had to ask your missus what his name was. Fair play, that's a thing of beauty....

**** me, you're at it now as well. Poor bloke from Berlin with no name.
    It was Jeff! Definitely Jeff. I think…

It was Jeff! Definitely Jeff. I think…
    Didn't take your breath away then.