Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
I expect we did last time, but it isn't easy for a number of reasons:
Strikers are a prime commodity, especially ones that can operate at this level or higher, so there are relatively few of them available, of the ones that are available even less of those will be available for no fee.
and out of those we aren't the only club who will be interested, there are plenty of other clubs who might be able to offer more money, or have a more realistic chance of promotion.

Proven championship goalscorers, still in or close to their prime, are out of reach for us.

If they are free transfers, there are so many more attractive clubs than us.

If they are currently at a club, they are going to cost a ton and we can't even pay transfer fees, at the moment.

So our options are to look to the foreign market and bring in a few players from there, hope that some of the youngsters step up (Davies perhaps) and also bring in a championship striker who might not be prolific, but can lead the line and chip in with 7 or 8 goals themselves (probably all we can hope for given our circumstances) - I think we HAVE to do all three of these and hope for the best.

Given how our season went last year, I was disappointed that we didn't look to keep Uche on after his loan stint - a cheap option, he liked it here, scored a few important goals and provided some quality hilarity.

The manager and club obviously thought we were better than him but actually we were better with him than without - as the season proved.