Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
The irony of the Lewys Benjamin situation is that he was the only one of the eight I believe it was City players in the squad who did not see game time for Wales in the under 17 Euros. Martyn Margetson’s son played in the first game and then he was displaced by City’s Luke Armstrong for the last two - Armstrong having been picked up from Wolves’ Academy (where he had been since the age of seven) by us.

I don’t get to watch anywhere near as much under 18s football as I used to, so I’ve not seen a great deal of either Benjamin or Armstrong (the former was very good in the inder 21 match I saw him play in mind). However, it might be that Benjamin’s decision to join Wolves was influenced in some part by the possibility that his path could be blocked at Cardiff by a player that the Midlands team, apparently, released!

It might be as well that the story of George Ratcliffe influenced Benjamin - Ratcliffe was identified as the best prospect out of the talented group of youngsters coming through three or four years ago by Wales Online, yet did not get a sniff of first team action in contrast to someone brought in from Palace who, in my opinion, has been no better than decent for the Under 21s, yet has already made a league debut for us and is established as our third choice keeper following Dillon Phillips’ departure.
Ratcliffe, unfortunately, didn’t kick on because of injuries and because he didn't grow. He simply wasn't tall enough for a pro goalie, he made Ron Healey look a giant