Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
I have a wooden gate and side panel in the front of house. Painted it [gloss] about 10yrs ago. Decided to give it another colour so bought some satinwood from B&Q. Gave it 2 coats yesterday, fully sanded, 1st coat dry, second coat dry, all done by 1pm. We had rain overnight, starting around 2pm, so 12 hours on. This am I noticed bubbling, peeling, and if I rub a section lightly it comes off !

Never known this before. Woodwork was dry and prepared fully. I had B&& make up the colour and it was water-based, but still as it was fully dry it shouldn't have ended up like this. I should add it is definitely 'exterior use' paint.
Yes I am was a city and guilds decorator in my youth

Once a surface has been painted.....your gate .....then unless it was sealed properly ....in the case of wood a paint that soaked into the surface , fully dried and then was undercoated ,, allowed to dry , then topcoated ......its always going to be subject to what is called retarded drying.....flaking , bubbles etc

Painting when it's damp .....ie late autumn .....or very hot ...high summer ....can also cause this

I would either wait until the spring and get a new bare wood gate and start again ......or again wait until the spring and get some zinser bin 123 primer sealer .....rub back as best you can ....apply two coats of this over 2 days to allow it to harden up to give you a good solid surface to apply your top coat to .....then paint 2 full coats on .....leaving 24 hours at least between coats

That should give you a fairly good finish but as the surface is clearly patchy I am afraid it's always possibly going to bubble and flake

So .....1 new gate

2 .....if you are going to try again wait till the damp , frost and rain isn't an issue .....spring ....and use zinser primer sealer