+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If you were the manager...could you do better?

International

Re: If you were the manager...could you do better?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    One of football's mysteries. Some players can be amazing for some managers, yet utter gash for others. Some managers get some players playing beyond their potential yet fail to get the best out of better players.
    Love them or hate them, Dave Jones and Warnock, got so much out of some players.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Robinson has been rank awful. buluts tactics may have something to do with that, but robinson has to take a big portion of responsibility for his inept performance levels. He's even lost the ability to control a ball and shows no urgency. Thre's not a manager or coach on this planet who can make a player lose those attributes, unless the player is past giving a shit, which i don't believe is the case at the moment. Bulut is no messiah, he has faults, we can all see them, and players aren't improving, in fact, some are getting worse, Although the players need to take responsibility for their failings as well. Way too much blame culture in football these days, and plenty on here as well.
    He seems on a different wavelength from his team mates, you can see where the pass should go, and he either passes too far ahead or in a different direction, expecting them to make a run that they are not making, its frustrating because their is some talent their.

International

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    The Runnarrson affair was a defining period of the season. I wonder if any outfield players did any thinking out loud over his selection over Alnwick? I think a lot of us have played at lower levels where ‘How the feck is he still in the side?’ has been loudly said, no different at pro level I’d imagine.
    Did the keeper coach or other coaches influence this, maybe he was magic in training either way, it was an error, he seemed to start OK, then get worse every week.

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy Blue in Berkshire View Post
    Bulut might have football knowledge but his people management skills are rubbish.
    That does seem to be the case but how much of it is due to there being a language barrier ? Remember all his coaches are foreign too.

What is obvious is that none of the current team appear to have improved under Bulut and that is a worry.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    NO, BUT SOME THINK THEY COULD!
    relax chief. Its a simple question that has no right or wrong answer

I look at bulut and see a lot of failing in his decision making as a person that are key for this type of role. The other coaching stuff can be improved/taught over time but critical thinking cannot.

I can understand why some of you feel all this stuff is way over your heads. I personally think this job isnt half as complex as people want to act like it is.

Not really, I don’t see an outstanding 11 in this squad, options limited until ODowda and Ramsey are back.

Don’t always agree with the line ups but also don’t see much that would massively change things for the better at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Who did you play for?
    A few clubs, it was a few clubs because I was the twat they were pointing the finger at

International

A few clubs, it was a few clubs because I was the twat they were pointing the finger at

Quote Originally Posted by Blooburd View Post
    I think a lot of people are disenchanted by our players of late. I personally think this is because our park the bus and hoof when in doubt tactics do not exactly flatter the types of players we have. We have seen glimpses of the potential in our side..normally when we up the tempo and play up the feed with grounded passes and pace. People are quick to forget these moments due to the dull manager's immediate reverting of tactics in the very next match.

Anyways..enough of that this is what I'd do

My team with an aggressive 1 to 2 touch passing, high press but with less regards for tracking back would be :

-------------Alnwick----------------
    Ng--Goutas--McGuiness--Collins
    --------------Ralls-------------------
    -------Colwill----Robinson--------
    Tanner---------------------Bowler
    --------------Etete------------------

If we ever seen O'Dowda and Ramsey back we can see Bowler share the right side with tanner. The link up between Collins and O'dowda was top draw earlier in the season. Robbo/Colwill or even Ralls drop for Ramsey

I'm no football manager. I have played competitively and can see plenty of 'professionals' that seem to have no idea how they became successful as a player.

What would you do? or not do..i guess
    No, i'm not a manager so i couldn't do better. But i don't like Bulut and don't rate him

Quote Originally Posted by NinianOpinion1927 View Post
    No, i'm not a manager so i couldn't do better. But i don't like Bulut and don't rate him
    U don't like him as a manager or you don't like him ?

I don't know warnock and I think his rule brittania politics are embarrassing but he's clearly a good manager

Brian Clough was a left wing type and spoke a lot of sense about the hopeless idiots involved in football in the boardroom ....but he was a very bullying manager and person in general.

I didn't like that side of him at all

But a great manager

Bulut appears to be fat from perfect but he's doing OK given our league position

What the christ do people expect

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Brian Clough was a left wing type and spoke a lot of sense about the hopeless idiots involved in football in the boardroom ....but he was a very bullying manager and person in general.
    Oddly enough, I've listened to a lot of podcasts about Cloughie and ex players always talk highly of him.

Oddly enough, I've listened to a lot of podcasts about Cloughie and ex players always talk highly of him.
    Oddly enough I have listened to plenty of players who said he was a bully and ruled by fear

Bob Paisley was a genuine nice guy in football and Bobby Robson too

Oddly enough I have listened to plenty of players who said he was a bully and ruled by fear
    I'll keep my ear out for that.

I know that he commanded the utmost respect, even to Stuart Pearce fixing his wife's iron when he was England captain or he'd be out of the side.

I'll keep my ear out for that.

I know that he commanded the utmost respect, even to Stuart Pearce fixing his wife's iron when he was England captain or he'd be out of the side.
    I think Sludge is on the money with this one Eric. I used to think the same as you. But the more I read about the Justin Fashanu situation, it changed my mind. I think there's a lot of rewritten history about Clough. Certainly, by today's standards, he'd be classed as a bully and homophobic. People argue 'he was a man of his times'. But looking at it in 2024, he's not someone I'd put on a pedestal.

Here's a piece written by Peter Tatchell in 2020 https://www.petertatchellfoundation....me-out-as-gay/

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I think Sludge is on the money with this one Eric. I used to think the same as you. But the more I read about the Justin Fashanu situation, it changed my mind. I think there's a lot of rewritten history about Clough. Certainly, by today's standards, he'd be classed as a bully and homophobic. People argue 'he was a man of his times'. But looking at it in 2024, he's not someone I'd put on a pedestal.

Here's a piece written by Peter Tatchell in 2020 https://www.petertatchellfoundation....me-out-as-gay/
    You could well be right about rewritten history regarding Clough.

The one line that stands out was Clough calling Fashanu a bloody poof. I'm not going to condone it and, while it was the language and attitude of the time blah blah, lots of people thought nothing about it and still carried on with it. Even now some want that sort of thing to carry on and you're woke if you disgree.

You could well be right about rewritten history regarding Clough.

The one line that stands out was Clough calling Fashanu a bloody poof. I'm not going to condone it and, while it was the language and attitude of the time blah blah, lots of people thought nothing about it and still carried on with it. Even now some want that sort of thing to carry on and you're woke if you disgree.
    Yeah, I agree. It's why that last point you make about being woke is really important imo. It has to be countered because if you take the case of, say Joey Barton and that he was, until recently, a manager, boss, responsible for employees' well-being - who really knows what football managers are really like? Football seems, to me, to be one of the few places that still employs people in senior positions who wouldn't be allowed to 'work' in other professions. If they're delivering success on the pitch they're adored by fans even though they may well be obnoxious individuals with horrible views and attitudes IRL.

Bob Paisley was a genuine nice guy in football and Bobby Robson too
    If you get the chance.
    Read or listen to the story of the young Sunderland lad that he took into his home.

Yeah, I agree. It's why that last point you make about being woke is really important imo. It has to be countered because if you take the case of, say Joey Barton and that he was, until recently, a manager, boss, responsible for employees' well-being - who really knows what football managers are really like? Football seems, to me, to be one of the few places that still employs people in senior positions who wouldn't be allowed to 'work' in other professions. If they're delivering success on the pitch they're adored by fans even though they may well be obnoxious individuals with horrible views and attitudes IRL.
    I think there are probably plenty of other environments where people (usually men) are able to be as cutting and as inappropriate as they like, in order to get results from others. That doesn't matter. I'm just a woke, not someone of real importance.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    If you get the chance.
    Read or listen to the story of the young Sunderland lad that he took into his home.
    I've read that story. But how does it square with him punching a young player in the face for giving a goal away from a back pass? Even if that young lad was Roy Keane. We hear these tear-jerking stories about him but for every one there's an opposite side. I just think we need to be careful not to eulogise the bloke.

I think there are probably plenty of other environments where people (usually men) are able to be as cutting and as inappropriate as they like, in order to get results from others. That doesn't matter. I'm just a woke, not someone of real importance.
    I did think that when I wrote it. The film industry, government etc. There are lots of places still condoning or suppressing stuff that goes on in the workplace. I've been on the receiving end of some right bullies. Did they do me any harm? Too f*cking right they did!

I did think that when I wrote it. The film industry, government etc. There are lots of places still condoning or suppressing stuff that goes on in the workplace. I've been on the receiving end of some right bullies. Did they do me any harm? Too f*cking right they did!
    But that'll have surely been your fault as well....

I sincerely hope that you've got over whatever happened, if that's possible.

But that'll have surely been your fault as well....

I sincerely hope that you've got over whatever happened, if that's possible.
    Cheers Eric.

The Runnarrson affair was a defining period of the season. I wonder if any outfield players did any thinking out loud over his selection over Alnwick? I think a lot of us have played at lower levels where ‘How the feck is he still in the side?’ has been loudly said, no different at pro level I’d imagine.
    Something changed. Maybe Eric can look at the stats and see if there's a correlation. My 'feeling' is that there will be.

Something changed. Maybe Eric can look at the stats and see if there's a correlation. My 'feeling' is that there will be.
    Job for the morning

International

Wasn't there some talk of him having to play (or attend) so many games to meet the conditions of his loan?