Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
I agree it doesn't look good, but my parents had the chance of buying the council house they were renting back in the mid 70s (before Thatcher became Prime Minister) and paid what always struck me as a bargain price for it. The house was left to me, my brother and sister when my parents died and in 2018 we sold it for what was about twenty five times more than what my parents paid for it. Maybe, I'm being stupid here, but if you're saying Angela Raynor was wrong for selling the house at a profit some years after she bought it, were my siblings and I wrong for selling the house left to us for what the market deemed was a fair price?
Legally no

Morally yes

Lots of people never bought what essentially was a state asset and made money out of it

They refused to take up right to buy and gave the council houses back to the council so future generations with no chance of owning a home could rent and have a roof over their head for a relatively cheap rent

Council houses should be for the community and there should be no right to buy something .....even if its for your children ......if that reduces the availability of housing for those in need in the future

If there is to be a equitable society there is no compromise on this wether its Angela raynor or the man in the street