Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
I couldn't disagree more. That end of the city centre has been dying a slow death as the centre of gravity shifted towards the southern end and the Bay. This will undoubtedly rejuvenate it. Of course there are other things that, in theory, money could be spent on, there always are. But local government finance doesn't work like that. You can't simply transfer money from one expenditure head to another. And if you could, it would mean all the money would be all spent on absolutely essential services and nothing would ever be spent on making the city a nicer place to live and visit.
I agree, it’s a forgotten part of town that needed rejuvenating. I’ve read that a few new outlets have opened or extended in the area providing more choice and bringing more revenue into the city. The hospitality industry has been through a tough time as well as us punters with many well loved establishments disappearing off the face of the earth. If it brings business to the city it has to be a good thing, something needed kickstarting in that area. Better than leaving the area to rot.