Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
Don't go chasing that.
You may not have noticed but this is a highbrow football thread, don't lower the tone.

I'm glad you came back on, I've been meaning to reply to your post about Dunfermline's league. It's interesting how different formats can freshen things up but I guess there are pros and cons with all of them.

My lad plays in the England Hockey Premier Division, it makes the Belgian play-offs seem like noughts and crosses. I'll quickly run through it but my advice would be not to bother reading it. Do something useful instead and just put 'thanks, that was really interesting' after. I'm pretty gullible, I'll probably fall for it.

Twelve teams in the league, all play each once before Xmas. Then there's a break for the indoor season and they come back in February in two groups, top six and bottom six with the earlier points carried forward. They play each other once in each group. 16 games gone now in the regular season, three left.

The bottom four in the bottom six group now carry their points forward again into a relegation group. All play each other again and the bottom two get relegated. Fair enough. Cardiff look to have avoided the drop with a game to go and deservedly so.

However, it gets a bit funky at the top. The top two in the bottom six group join up with the top six to make two groups of four. No points carried forward so all teams are back on nought again (the bottom team in the top six group were 29 pts behind the leaders this season so happy days for them).

The teams in these groups of four now play each other once and the top two in each go through to the play off weekend in April. Two semi-finals on the Saturday. The winners each qualify for Europe next season and then play each other on the Sunday to decide the league winners.

They've broken the mould there, fair play.