+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: A great acoustic guitar

A great acoustic guitar

For all you guitar players out there.

I finally decided to splash the cash on a decent acoustic guitar but which one ? The obvious choices like Martin and Taylor I discounted because I didn't think at the lower end you would get value for money.

After researching and checking up on youtube reviews, I plumped for a Dowina or possibly an Eastman. With this in mind me and a fellow player went to Richard's Guitars in Stratford, who are the main suppliers for Dowina guitars in this country.

To cut a long story short, I must have played about 30 guitars before I picked up a Furch Blue Series GC SW. It blew my mind but I expected a price tag of between £3-4k. When the guy told me it was £1.1k I nearly fell off my stool.

So if any of you guitarists (and I know there are a few on here) are looking for a high quality acoustic guitar at a very reasonable price, I highly recommend the Furch.

Re: A great acoustic guitar

Have you bought it ?

I got a agnostic one don't believe God will like it

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Have you bought it ?
    Oh yes. Had the guitar for a fortnight and I'm still deeply in love with it (but don't tell the missus).

Spruce top, black walnut body, mahogany neck and an ebony fingerboard. But most importantly it plays like a dream and sounds fantastic. It's currently having its afternoon nap but I'll be waking it up shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Oh yes. Had the guitar for a fortnight and I'm still deeply in love with it (but don't tell the missus).

Spruce top, black walnut body, mahogany neck and an ebony fingerboard. But most importantly it plays like a dream and sounds fantastic. It's currently having its afternoon nap but I'll be waking it up shortly.
    Jimmy Page on Bron Y Aur

That's my sort of thing

Jimmy Page on Bron Y Aur

That's my sort of thing
    Not overly challenging but it's got a very unusual guitar tuning (not standard). Give Tommy Emmanuel a listen. He's rated as quite possibly the world's greatest acoustic player and you can see why.

For all you guitar players out there.

I finally decided to splash the cash on a decent acoustic guitar but which one ? The obvious choices like Martin and Taylor I discounted because I didn't think at the lower end you would get value for money.

After researching and checking up on youtube reviews, I plumped for a Dowina or possibly an Eastman. With this in mind me and a fellow player went to Richard's Guitars in Stratford, who are the main suppliers for Dowina guitars in this country.

To cut a long story short, I must have played about 30 guitars before I picked up a Furch Blue Series GC SW. It blew my mind but I expected a price tag of between £3-4k. When the guy told me it was £1.1k I nearly fell off my stool.

So if any of you guitarists (and I know there are a few on here) are looking for a high quality acoustic guitar at a very reasonable price, I highly recommend the Furch.
    I got an Eastman for less than half of that. I've used it on a few recordings and it sounds great. Enjoy your new guitar!

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    I got an Eastman for less than half of that. I've used it on a few recordings and it sounds great. Enjoy your new guitar!
    My mate has an Eastman and we had a jam session about a month ago. I liked it but was not totally taken with it. The same mate came with me to Richard's Guitars and we both agreed that the Furch was the best sounding guitar in the storeroom. It has a beautiful mid range with a full, rich, warm sound. There were other guitars four times the price but I wouldn't swap it for any of them.

My mate has an Eastman and we had a jam session about a month ago. I liked it but was not totally taken with it. The same mate came with me to Richard's Guitars and we both agreed that the Furch was the best sounding guitar in the storeroom. It has a beautiful mid range with a full, rich, warm sound. There were other guitars four times the price but I wouldn't swap it for any of them.
    I'm an electric player, so the acoustic occupies a secondary role, but if it was the main instrument focus I would probably be looking elsewhere. Are you a finger picker?

Not overly challenging but it's got a very unusual guitar tuning (not standard). Give Tommy Emmanuel a listen. He's rated as quite possibly the world's greatest acoustic player and you can see why.
    https://youtu.be/OkOB57UcYk8?si=iTg8faGRvDgkivmG

This is unbeatable guitar work in my opinion

Absolute control

Not acoustic of course but it's amazing

I'm an electric player, so the acoustic occupies a secondary role, but if it was the main instrument focus I would probably be looking elsewhere. Are you a finger picker?
    Yes I am but I'm just as comfortable using a pick or hybrid picking. I've got a 1975 cream coloured Strat too but I very rarely play it nowadays. Prior to Christmas I was playing my Classical almost exclusively for about a year before getting back into my acoustic again. Now I've got the Furch, it'll be some time before I pick up the Classical again !

Absolute control

Very tasteful Sludge. Was that Richard Thompson playing ?

Yes I am but I'm just as comfortable using a pick or hybrid picking. I've got a 1975 cream coloured Strat too but I very rarely play it nowadays. Prior to Christmas I was playing my Classical almost exclusively for about a year before getting back into my acoustic again. Now I've got the Furch, it'll be some time before I pick up the Classical again !
    Furch make good guitars. I've always fancied a trip to Brno to visit the factory and drink some Czech beer.

Furch make good guitars. I've always fancied a trip to Brno to visit the factory and drink some Czech beer.
    There are worse things to do in life !

Dowina guitars are also made in the Czech Republic. Beautiful sounding if a little too bright for my taste.

Very tasteful Sludge. Was that Richard Thompson playing ?
    Yes although it was written by sandy denny on her acoustic I believe ?

Absolute control

And here's another from the wonderful Richard Thompson about King Henry.

https://youtu.be/JMItzwXkwLA?si=LPKzyfEaV8XJNtH8

Below ... If you scroll through to 8 mins you'll see the live version of it.

https://youtu.be/DDZdU-snqTs?si=kRc10iequxZOQLDc

Had the pleasure of seeing Sandy Denny and Friends (obviously with Richard Thompson) at the Cory Hall in Cardiff in the early 1970's. What memories.

StT.
    <><

This is sublime. Here Andrew York plays his own composition, I believe, called, 'Home,' on an Antonio de Torres 1888 guitar. Bliss.

https://youtu.be/6ajTcwJBbw4?si=cMDyi3k1WMocFz_3

StT.
    <><

"So if any of you guitarists (and I know there are a few on here) are looking for a high quality acoustic guitar at a very reasonable price, I highly recommend the Furch."

The question of interest is why.
    You mention only the tone.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post
    And here's another from the wonderful Richard Thompson about King Henry.

https://youtu.be/JMItzwXkwLA?si=LPKzyfEaV8XJNtH8

Below ... If you scroll through to 8 mins you'll see the live version of it.

https://youtu.be/DDZdU-snqTs?si=kRc10iequxZOQLDc

Had the pleasure of seeing Sandy Denny and Friends (obviously with Richard Thompson) at the Cory Hall in Cardiff in the early 1970's. What memories.

StT.
    <><
    That must have been amazing

Not only an incredibly talented woman but in my opinion absolutely stunning

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    "So if any of you guitarists (and I know there are a few on here) are looking for a high quality acoustic guitar at a very reasonable price, I highly recommend the Furch."

The question of interest is why.
    You mention only the tone.
    What would you like to know ?

It's a Grand Auditorium style cutaway. All the woods I've mentioned earlier. It's playability is great and the warm sound is outstanding. It lacks things like mother-of-pearl inlays and some of the more aesthetically pleasing features but they have never been high on my ticklist anyhow.

I've played so many guitars much, more expensive than the Furch which have left me unimpressed but all I can say to any guitarist is if you're looking to upgrade your guitar short of paying the Earth for a professional level instrument then give Furch a try.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Never been into percussive guitarists Bob. Probably one of the best is Mike Dawes but that's doing him a disservice as he's far more than that.