+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Osian roberts- got Como promoted to serie A as manager

Re: Osian roberts- got Como promoted to serie A as manager

If Roberts is so great, then why not make attempts to bring in Coleman? Roberts was, after all, Coleman’s assistant, wasn’t he?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    If Roberts is so great, then why not make attempts to bring in Coleman? Roberts was, after all, Coleman’s assistant, wasn’t he?
    Because that would be boring and he has already failed at this level recently.

Osian would be exciting as I'd genuinely love to see how he approached things. Who he had on his coaching staff etc considering his coaching links.

He's so well respected I would wonder what top managers would trust him with their young players.

It would be a breath of fresh air and exciting. How would he set up the team? How would he use colwill? It would all be fascinating.

It won't happen as that's not what cardiff city do so dreaming of days that will never be is all we can do I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Because that would be boring and he has already failed at this level recently.

Osian would be exciting as I'd genuinely love to see how he approached things. Who he had on his coaching staff etc considering his coaching links.

He's so well respected I would wonder what top managers would trust him with their young players.

It would be a breath of fresh air and exciting. How would he set up the team? How would he use colwill? It would all be fascinating.

It won't happen as that's not what cardiff city do so dreaming of days that will never be is all we can do I suppose.
    That’s all fine and dandy and I don’t disagree with how interesting it could be, but anyone who thinks he would swap the chance to manage a team in on the elite leagues in league football for the shit show that is Vincent Tans Cardiff City need to jump in an ice bath and shock some sense back into themselves

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    That’s all fine and dandy and I don’t disagree with how interesting it could be, but anyone who thinks he would swap the chance to manage a team in on the elite leagues in league football for the shit show that is Vincent Tans Cardiff City need to jump in an ice bath and shock some sense back into themselves
    Yep it's a non starter of course. But under new ownership (which also feels like it will never happen either) it would be a very interesting first appointment to hand the football side over to osian.

What you getting at, you don't think he's good. It hard to identify sarcasm or cynicism from you?

Wales went from 100 odd to top 20, and maintained it whilst he was in various job with us, many credit him as instrumental in that progress. Morocco went on to be world cup semi-finalist after he helped set up structures for them to progress, again he was credited with elevating them that little bit more. He was UEFA Technical Instructor for 10 years, somebody mentioned the praise from Cesc Fabregas in 442. Didn't he also teach in the Welsh FA coaching certification that had some fairly decent coaches pass through?

I'd take the word of his peers and trust them as its quite hard to recognise behind the scene activities and i'm going to stick my neck out and say he his probably very good at what he does. What Coleman has to do with the price bread here, i don't understand!

Sean Dyche was Malkys assistant.

Does that make Malky better?

Is he really well-respected? If so, by who?

I must admit I find the whole thing baffling. I don’t know where this idea that Robert’s is some sort of leading light in the coaching world comes from.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d take him over Bulut any day of the week, but some of the plaudits he gets on here seem well over the top to me.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Sean Dyche was Malkys assistant.

Does that make Malky better?
    Yes of course. Just as Bobby Robson better than his assistant Jose Mourinho.

Is he really well-respected? If so, by who?

I must admit I find the whole thing baffling. I don’t know where this idea that Robert’s is some sort of leading light in the coaching world comes from.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d take him over Bulut any day of the week, but some of the plaudits he gets on here seem well over the top to me.
    Is that first question serious? I am really struggling to answer your claim he isn't well respected in the football world? There's so much evidence to the contrary.

He was a number 1 in the MLS aged 28 so not exactly a new comer to this management lark.

We've already discussed the jobs he did with wales and morroco. Hardly unknown success stories on the international stage.

Of course he is always in danger of being seen as more of a guru/mentor type figure than the main one but certainly his comments about being wales manager seem that's an image he is keen to shake off.

There's no chance he's coming to CCFC anyway but I'm surprised he hasn't been swansea manager before and probably will be in the near future. If wales can ditch page to get him in before that happens that would be great though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    It seems to be unanimous on here over how brilliant a coach Osian Roberts is, and i have no doubt that he's decent, but my question is how do people know how good he is by just talking generally about his abilities? He's done well with Wales and Como. Ok, why has he done well, and is it all down to him. I have absolutely no idea, and i suspect most people don't either.
    I think most people would be hard pressed to point out exactly what a certain manager or coach is particularly good at

I don't think its necessarily just his ability as a coach that people point out, he's obviously decent enough at it as you don't get a pro job without being a good coach but there's a wider body of work with Wales that people point at away from the first team setup. He was the technical director for Wales from the late noughties up until Euro 2016 and is credited for implementing a lot of the stuff that helped Wales be successful. He oversaw the teams below the first team and setup the "Welsh way" pathway that saw all the teams play the same way, push home importance of playing for Wales and spotting dual nationals as well as helping professionalise the whole setup. He's also a big part of the Welsh coach development setup which has gone from nothing to being one of the best around. He was supposedly the tactical brain behind Speed and (especially) Coleman. He did a similar technical director job at Morrocco. I don't see him as a first team manager type

Thing is there though is no silver bullet, there's so many moving parts to football that just going and getting Osian Roberts and making him manager won't magically turn us into a Brighton, but bringing in Roberts, or someone like him, in that kind of technical director role and backing him to oversee modernising the club would be a step in the right direction imo

Is that first question serious? I am really struggling to answer your claim he isn't well respected in the football world? There's so much evidence to the contrary.

He was a number 1 in the MLS aged 28 so not exactly a new comer to this management lark.
    I didn’t claim Roberts isn’t well-respected in the football world. I merely questioned your statement that he is.

His CV suggests he’s respected more for his work behind the scenes than for his actual management or coaching. After all, since the turn of the millennium he’s only managed Porthmadog and Como, who apparently play in a 7,500-capacity stadium.

Maybe his stint at Como will lead to a higher-profile managerial role somewhere. Maybe not. Time will tell I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I think most people would be hard pressed to point out exactly what a certain manager or coach is particularly good at

I don't think its necessarily just his ability as a coach that people point out, he's obviously decent enough at it as you don't get a pro job without being a good coach but there's a wider body of work with Wales that people point at away from the first team setup. He was the technical director for Wales from the late noughties up until Euro 2016 and is credited for implementing a lot of the stuff that helped Wales be successful. He oversaw the teams below the first team and setup the "Welsh way" pathway that saw all the teams play the same way, push home importance of playing for Wales and spotting dual nationals as well as helping professionalise the whole setup. He's also a big part of the Welsh coach development setup which has gone from nothing to being one of the best around. He was supposedly the tactical brain behind Speed and (especially) Coleman. He did a similar technical director job at Morrocco. I don't see him as a first team manager type

Thing is there though is no silver bullet, there's so many moving parts to football that just going and getting Osian Roberts and making him manager won't magically turn us into a Brighton, but bringing in Roberts, or someone like him, in that kind of technical director role and backing him to oversee modernising the club would be a step in the right direction imo
    Possibly a perfect candidate for DoF

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post

Fair enough, thanks for the detailed reply. I wasn't being flippant by asking, i genuinely didn't know what he does or has done.

Paul Trollope is also a well regarded coach. A lot younger than Roberts , arguably a better CV. We were terrible under him but did we axe him too soon or are these coaches just not cut out to be manager.

Just because he's Welsh , coached well, got Como up doesnt always guarantee a success in one of the hardest divisions in the world