+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Danny Baker fired by the BBC and he's not happy about it.

Re: Danny Baker fired by the BBC and he's not happy about it.

We don’t seem to care about intent with something like this these days for some reason, we just want to see people get sacked and never hear from them again.

Is comparing black people being monkeys a racist trope? Yes. Did he mean this? Almost definitely not.

The Jon Ronson book “so you’ve been publicly shamed” is a really good book about this very subject.

Ah, the original 606, all those years ago, what a brilliant after game programme. He’s also part of my fairly recent Saturday mornings, Brian Mathew (Sound of the 60s), then turn over for The Danny Baker Show followed by Fighting Talk. Days sadly gone now.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I would want to be satisfied that someone intended a tweet or similar to be racist before sacking someone. The vast majority of people do not associate members of the ape family with human beings of a any race and it seems to me that we are in danger of perceiving the minority view (i.e. that of racists) as being some kind of norm by which we are now measured.
    I agree, but you really don't have to look far to find pretty overt racism towards markle and their kid (daily mail comments section predominantly), and someone in the public eye should have been mindful of that before making such a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    We don’t seem to care about intent with something like this these days for some reason, we just want to see people get sacked and never hear from them again.

Is comparing black people being monkeys a racist trope? Yes. Did he mean this? Almost definitely not.

The Jon Ronson book “so you’ve been publicly shamed” is a really good book about this very subject.
    Jon ronson has said on twitter that he doesn't think he should have been sacked, but it was an incredibly stupid thing to do

If you have seen the stock photograph he has captioned. I have.
    The humour is about the clothing the royal baby is wearing.

My guess is Danny had been on the Gin.
    It is funny but not in the cold light of day.

Snowflakes.

my daughter discussed this today in school in her " personal development and social issues " class, she is doing her GCSE's at the mo and personally i think that 1 hour 15 mins would have been spent slightly more productively than that, but hey ho

29 children in ( aged 15 or 16 ) her class contains 9 or 10 who find everything offensive ( her words ) not a single person thought it was racist, not one, maybe we do have hope for the future and this next generation might not be like the last

as for my point of view, of course he didnt mean it as a racist post, i saw the post and thought he was poking fun at the " privileged " life the baby will have, the bowler hat and upper class attire made me think that

The baby's greatgrandfather has said far worse in his life time,and got away with it.

9 or 10 who find everything offensive ( her words )
    Jesus what a load of old shite

Quote Originally Posted by rudy gestede View Post
    Jesus what a load of old shite
    I know, i thought it would be more

International

Not realising it might be interpreted as a racist comment. Seems quite like a footballer not knowing what a nazi salute is!!!!

International

I think a lot of the reaction from the BBC was with regard to the interpretation our american cousins might put on the remark and whether it was allowed to go unchallenged. It would be far more offensive there.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Not realising it might be interpreted as a racist comment. Seems quite like a footballer not knowing what a nazi salute is!!!!
    He probably doesn't think of her as black. It never occurs to me until the media point it out. She looks about as black as Ryan Giggs who I also never think of as black.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...cup-team-tweet

Baker has been very stupid at best and racist at worst, but if he got sacked how the hell did Sugar get away with this?
    But why was he idiotic? Because some cretinous racists make such an association whereas normal, rational and fair-minded people don't? The situation means that the racists have won in establishing a link that they have forged in their twisted minds into an association now adopted by the mainstream. That is hugely concerning.
    Was PG Tips a racist advert? Was my mate's pet monkey a racist toy? The pitchfork society is taking over and with a warped agenda.

He should sue his employers for wrongful dismissal.

I was hoping that Archie would be much darker, similar to Sadio Mané. That would have been way more inclusive and progressive than having a barely-black baby.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    But why was he idiotic? Because some cretinous racists make such an association whereas normal, rational and fair-minded people don't? The situation means that the racists have won in establishing a link that they have forged in their twisted minds into an association now adopted by the mainstream. That is hugely concerning.
    Was PG Tips a racist advert? Was my mate's pet monkey a racist toy? The pitchfork society is taking over and with a warped agenda.

He should sue his employers for wrongful dismissal.
    It'll be unfair dismissal, but I doubt he'd succeed. 'Behavior outside the workplace ' is a key contract clause for those in the public domain. I've got a lot of sympathy for Baker. I seriously doubt it was intended to be racist. This is probably a poor metaphor, but if a black player found a banana skin thrown at him, that would be a dreadfully offensive and racist action. If a bloke was eating a banana in the crowd and tried to throw the skin into a bin closer to the touchline and it went onto the pitch, the effect would be the same but without the intent.

Anyway, I'm constantly amazed why the world and his daughter - especially those in the media/sports/political fields - find it important to spend their lives updating everyone else with their action and thoughts by the minute. I'm quite happy on here, being kept in check by Morris & Co...

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    It'll be unfair dismissal, but I doubt he'd succeed. 'Behavior outside the workplace ' is a key contract clause for those in the public domain. I've got a lot of sympathy for Baker. I seriously doubt it was intended to be racist. This is probably a poor metaphor, but if a black player found a banana skin thrown at him, that would be a dreadfully offensive and racist action. If a bloke was eating a banana in the crowd and tried to throw the skin into a bin closer to the touchline and it went onto the pitch, the effect would be the same but without the intent.

Anyway, I'm constantly amazed why the world and his daughter - especially those in the media/sports/political fields - find it important to spend their lives updating everyone else with their action and thoughts by the minute. I'm quite happy on here, being kept in check by Morris & Co...
    Noted regarding the terminology.

20 years ago this was one of the most popular TV shows.
    Wasnt thought of as being racist at the time, but probably wont get shown on the BBC again incase someone thinks it is.

https://youtu.be/LQV2QwaqwAs

Quote Originally Posted by severncity View Post
    I was hoping that Archie would be much darker, similar to Sadio Mané. That would have been way more inclusive and progressive than having a barely-black baby.
    My family is mixed race.
    Babies go darker after a few weeks.
    It is likely he will look like Meghan.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysAway2 View Post
    My family is mixed rave.
    Always knew you were raving😂😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysAway2 View Post
    My family is mixed race.
    Wonder if he'll have his dads hair colour though?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I think he's genuine, but completely ****ing stupid if he didn't foresee the reaction.
    THIS.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Wonder if he'll have his dads hair colour though?
    Could be like thisZippy.PNG.jpg

The photo of Liz & Phil with Harry Hewitt (not Coronation St’s one) & Megs & her Ma eh! Old Phil must have been thinking ‘ What the f*ck is the maid here for?’. If Danny Baker is racist, Phil the Greek is off the scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I agree, but you really don't have to look far to find pretty overt racism towards markle and their kid (daily mail comments section predominantly), and someone in the public eye should have been mindful of that before making such a joke.
    So someone has to be mindful of other people's warped associations? I don't agree at all.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I think a lot of the reaction from the BBC was with regard to the interpretation our american cousins might put on the remark and whether it was allowed to go unchallenged. It would be far more offensive there.
    Because Danny Baker is a household name in the USA right?