+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cardiff City a big club?

Re: Cardiff City a big club?

How do you define a big club? I always look at Newcastle and West Ham as they define themselves as big clubs but apart from fan base, what qualifies them? Regularly yo-yo with relegation and haven't won anything of note in God knows how long.

You'r probably looking at a whole host of things. Those two probably qualify as they have large fan bases. Leeds probably qualify due to their history. I do think that Cardiff are a big club and it's for these reasons:

- The only team to take the FA Cup out of England
    - A capital city team
    - A stadium that hosts international football
    - A team that made an FA Cup Final and Carling Cup final from a lower division
    - Hated by most of the English football league system and establishment

It doesn't matter what division we're in or what division we belong in.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    I think it has been done to death over time but our potential is huge.

Can you imagine the crowds and interest if we could match the performance of a top 6 side for a sustained period?

I reckon we could achieve 40k plus on a regular basis which in effect would put us up there with the biggest if taking the size of the club at that time into account (The ground would get an expansion too I would guess). History obviously plays a big factor and ours from mid 80's until maybe the late 90's/2000s doesn't make for pretty reading.
    But this is very unlikely to happen to any team already outside the "big 6". Since the Premier League started, there have only been 6 winners. Two of those teams have only won it once, they are not "big 6" and have failed to maintain any likelihood of doing it again. One of those teams has even played 3rd tier football since winning the Prem.

So, of the "big 6" only 4 of them have won the Prem. Of those, one of them has won it 13 times - 50%. with the next nearest winning it 5 times.

The best we can hope for is mid table mediocrity, if we can get back up.

I wouldn’t say we’re a big club but certainly have the potential to be, a couple of years in the top flight would do wonders for us

Quote Originally Posted by valleys caveman View Post
    I think so.
    Averaging 31,000 while being in the bottom 3 for most of the season. Not bad is it?
    Our crowds have gone from 16,564 in 2016/17 to 31,413 this year.
    What sort of crowds would we attract if we were challenging for a European spot?
    How many times has this type of post been posted over the years

Quote Originally Posted by Glynazard View Post
    How do you define a big club? I always look at Newcastle and West Ham as they define themselves as big clubs but apart from fan base, what qualifies them? Regularly yo-yo with relegation and haven't won anything of note in God knows how long.

You'r probably looking at a whole host of things. Those two probably qualify as they have large fan bases. Leeds probably qualify due to their history. I do think that Cardiff are a big club and it's for these reasons:

- A capital city team

That's a rather odd reason to put forward as a case for us being big?

Quote Originally Posted by Glynazard View Post

- A capital city team

Millwall can tick 3 of those boxes.
    Capital city team
    FA Cup Finalists while lower league club
    Hated by most of the English football league system and establishment.

I really can’t get my head around it. Why can’t you guys see the fantastic potential both for the club and your country!? Of course Cardiff is a big club! It’s a capitol club. The potential is huge! We just missed one by not invest properly when we went up. Now is another chance. But no... Better safe than sorry..
    Neil Warwick. What the actual feck! Man marking rotations and doing knee jerks as halftime talks.. After signing Camarasa and Arter, this team had it in them. But no.. Gets me angry your lack of ambition and low self beliefs..

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    What a load of rubbish, we are the 6th biggest city in the League, bigger than Newcastle,Leicester,Wolves and with a much bigger catchment area. If we had sustained success and were a top 6 side we would have 60k crowds that’s why our crowds have crowds have grown from 2000 in the bad old days to 32000 now! Like every other club in the league the more success you have the bigger your support, and Cardiff has the potential to be a top top club! Before Shankly, we were bigger than Liverpool and before they had huge investment bigger than Chelsea and Manchester City!
    Ironically only about 3 or 4% of the population of Cardiff actually go to games, if you take the population to be half a million and include penarth, Barry etc....there are so many more people who could be potential fans, we haven’t even tapped in yet. Cardiff is growing so quickly, 20,000 new houses being built now. I reckon we could sustain 40,000 in a few years if we were regularly in the top half of the PL....

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    Capital city team
    Not a good example, capital city with what 10 other clubs? Hardly a comparison, and one of the smallest clubs there too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    What a load of rubbish, we are the 6th biggest city in the League, bigger than Newcastle,Leicester,Wolves and with a much bigger catchment area. If we had sustained success and were a top 6 side we would have 60k crowds that’s why our crowds have crowds have grown from 2000 in the bad old days to 32000 now! Like every other club in the league the more success you have the bigger your support, and Cardiff has the potential to be a top top club! Before Shankly, we were bigger than Liverpool and before they had huge investment bigger than Chelsea and Manchester City!
    Nonsense. Chelsea and Man city have been far bigger than us as far back as I can remember, way before they got foreign investment

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Not a good example, capital city with what 10 other clubs? Hardly a comparison, and one of the smallest clubs there too.
    I think that was what Harry Monk was pointing out, that the criteria the poster Glynazard was using wasn't really a very good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I think that was what Harry Monk was pointing out, that the criteria the poster Glynazard was using wasn't really a very good one.
    I dunno, was just my take on it. I think being the Welsh capital is a point to be made for us being a big club even if the others aren't.

I made the 'hated by everyone else' point because if no-one talked about us then we'd probably be a bit insignificant? The fact that most of the establishment and a whole host of other teams hate us and pretty much talk about us all of the time is a good indicator of our standing. At least, that's what it feels like to me :)

What sets us apart from many cities is rugby. We'll never be a Sheffield, Wolves etc because a % of Cardiff and area have no interest in us at all, and in fact enjoy seeing us lose.

To be fair, there are only 2 capital cities playing in the English League.

Quote Originally Posted by Louth View Post
    What sets us apart from many cities is rugby. We'll never be a Sheffield, Wolves etc because a % of Cardiff and area have no interest in us at all, and in fact enjoy seeing us lose.
    We averaged more fans than Wolves this season, which isn't bad seeing the season they had compared to ours.

Quote Originally Posted by valleys caveman View Post
    We averaged more fans than Wolves this season, which isn't bad seeing the season they had compared to ours.
    Wolves have a lower capacity don't they? I think they've sold-out in the Home end every week.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Wolves have a lower capacity don't they? I think they've sold-out in the Home end every week.
    Wolves capacity 32,050 and they averaged 31,030. Not sure if they sold out their home allocation for each game, but fair play to them if they did.

A big club keeps its fans regardless of league position.

I would say we’re not a big club by any identifier. We could, but never will due to Liverpool and Man Utd

Quote Originally Posted by Louth View Post
    We get bigger crowds than all the rugby clubs put together. Isn’t rugby the 4th most popular sport in the capital. It’s the valley commandos and women mainly that go to six nations isn’t it?

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post

Wolves have always had pretty good support. Even back in the 80’s when they plummeted they could get 8-10k, then 16-18 in the 90’s even in league 1

Think Warwick has been reading the blogs and forums.

What were Leeds before Revie , Liverpool before Shankley ,nowhere near Where they are today and that only came with success , this is why I said in a previous post why I was so gutted about being relegated , none of this the championship is a better league with proper football from me , I just wanted us to sustain our position in the league in order for us to grow as a club and become an established premier league side not just a one season wonder again

International

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    Capital city team
    Capital City?? Naw mate. Arsk any real Londoner. They aint Capital. Sarf of the river? That aint London. You go sarf of the river you gets a nose-bleed. (Borough market accepted )

International

Ironically only about 3 or 4% of the population of Cardiff actually go to games, if you take the population to be half a million and include penarth, Barry etc....there are so many more people who could be potential fans, we haven’t even tapped in yet. Cardiff is growing so quickly, 20,000 new houses being built now. I reckon we could sustain 40,000 in a few years if we were regularly in the top half of the PL....
    I think if the valleys are include the catchment area is closer to 1.5 million. So the potential is huge.

International

Wolves have always had pretty good support. Even back in the 80’s when they plummeted they could get 8-10k, then 16-18 in the 90’s even in league 1
    They once had the record for a crowd, about 106,000 I believe. But many years ago.