+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The under 45's - making a big sacrifice, and likely suffer most in the long term..

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: The under 45's - making a big sacrifice, and likely suffer most in the long term..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    A statistic that really surprised me was the number of deaths in the UK for those 45 and under. It's 320. That's 320 out of approx 37 million. The next time a youngster comes a bit too close on his bike or waits for me to move off the pavement, I'm going to bear that in mind before I go and moan to the missus when I get back home. I'm at an age when my exposure to an economic crash is limited, but for those whose lives are mostly ahead of them I really feel for them. Confronted with that statistic I doubt the 25yr old AQM would have been so nearly as compliant as today's generations..
    Surely they have more time to bounce back.
    What about those over 45 who’s pensions are tied to markets?
    It wasn’t exactly a Rose Garden getting a “good” job in the 90’s early 00’s either.

Re: The under 45's - making a big sacrifice, and likely suffer most in the long term..

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    Surely they have more time to bounce back.
    What about those over 45 who’s pensions are tied to markets?
    It wasn’t exactly a Rose Garden getting a “good” job in the 90’s early 00’s either.
    Tell me about it. 13% mortage, redundant three times. RE. pensions hopefully they'll recover, though the paradox re. the 90's is that annuity rates were close to 10% !!

Tell me about it. 13% mortage, redundant three times. RE. pensions hopefully they'll recover, though the paradox re. the 90's is that annuity rates were close to 10% !!
    You have my sympathies, although i wouldn't want to be young now, starting out, looking for work and a place to live. They've got little chance of buying a house and their working conditions are poor in terms of contracts etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    You have my sympathies, although i wouldn't want to be young now, starting out, looking for work and a place to live. They've got little chance of buying a house and their working conditions are poor in terms of contracts etc.
    All in the past, but thanks. Financially secure though not stinking rich.

Banned

Interest rates shot to 15% within a day or two of my parents borrowing to buy their council house. Sheer madness seeing the stress they were both under. Also remember my dad being made redundant just a week after borrowing for a family holiday. It was hard to knock my parents - they were both unemployed for long periods of my early life and as soon as they had the security of good jobs, they borrowed money.

The effect of this crisis is that we all need to save more money. Firstly in case of a second wave - furlough cannot be guaranteed. Secondly in case of redundancy - the job markets are going to be shocking, the US figures pointing at 15-20% unemployment there, and while it may be short term, it could well happen here too.