+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any news on Etheridge in the development squad today

Any news on Etheridge in the development squad today

Anyone ?

Re: Any news on Etheridge in the development squad today

City won 3-2 and I think he played the 90 mins.
    Madine, Vassell and Bolger were the scorers.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Anyone ?
    Here's a match report, sounds like he played well.

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news...3-cardiff-city

Happy that he appears to be on his way to full fitness and take his place on the bench until such time Smithies needs to be relieved of his current position which, in my view, is not yet. Perhaps, not at all ?

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Anyone ?
    I thought you were the insider! 😉

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    Happy that he appears to be on his way to full fitness and take his place on the bench until such time Smithies needs to be relieved of his current position which, in my view, is not yet. Perhaps, not at all ?
    As soon as he's fully fit, he has to come back in. He's a much better keeper than Smithies.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    As soon as he's fully fit, he has to come back in. He's a much better keeper than Smithies.
    What does Etheridge do much better than Smithies?

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    What does Etheridge do much better than Smithies?
    In any other position, it would be a no brainer. Smithies has done well but Etheridge is a better shot stopper, the defence are more comfortable playing in front of him and he's better at coming for crosses etc. He's clearly better.

Isn't Smithies officially the first-choice 'keeper? Etheridge was brought in as a bench warmer was he not?

In any other position, it would be a no brainer. Smithies has done well but Etheridge is a better shot stopper, the defence are more comfortable playing in front of him and he's better at coming for crosses etc. He's clearly better.
    Smithies is improving with every game . He is probably a better all round keeper than Etheridge and should retain the jersey as he has been improving with every game .
    I didn't think that after 2 games though ......

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    Isn't Smithies officially the first-choice 'keeper? Etheridge was brought in as a bench warmer was he not?
    For Lee Camp but quickly established himself as the best Keeper at the club.
    Smithies was signed a year after but didn’t think it was to be our number 1 after the good season NE had.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Smithies is improving with every game . He is probably a better all round keeper than Etheridge and should retain the jersey as he has been improving with every game .
    I didn't think that after 2 games though ......
    Smithies is getting better but Etheridge has so much credit in the bank, I know what I'd do.

Smithies is getting better but Etheridge has so much credit in the bank, I know what I'd do.
    Get Smithies to give Etheridge lessons in kicking & distribution? Can we merge them?

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Get Smithies to give Etheridge lessons in kicking & distribution? Can we merge them?
    As we well know, Des, accurate distribution is low on Neil's list of priorities!
    My gut feeling is that Etheridge improves the defence and while I wouldn't bring him back just yet, I would sooner than later.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Etheridge has got a bit better, I'm not sure how we managed to sign Day who is even worse

Etheridge has got a bit better, I'm not sure how we managed to sign Day who is even worse
    Etheridge was better at the beginning of last season, but he had regressed by the end of it and was regularly kicking the ball straight out of play or along the ground to an opposition player.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Etheridge was better at the beginning of last season, but he had regressed by the end of it and was regularly kicking the ball straight out of play or along the ground to an opposition player.
    Smithies distribution is very good

Either way I think we have 2 very good 'keepers in Smithies and Etheridge. I wonder if this situation can continue. When we are rid of Warnock at the end of the season, if they are both still with us, I wonder which a new manager would choose ? I don't think either would settle for being second string as they are both good enough for first string elsewhere and probably have ambitions as such. Perhaps one will be gone in January.

Either way I think we have 2 very good 'keepers in Smithies and Etheridge. I wonder if this situation can continue. When we are rid of Warnock at the end of the season, if they are both still with us, I wonder which a new manager would choose ? I don't think either would settle for being second string as they are both good enough for first string elsewhere and probably have ambitions as such. Perhaps one will be gone in January.
    I'm pretty sure that Day was signed as cover as Neil was expecting Smithies to be off. Etheridge's injury buggered that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    I'm pretty sure that Day was signed as cover as Neil was expecting Smithies to be off. Etheridge's injury buggered that idea.
    I suspect you’re right although I would hope that Warnock’s preference is based on sound footballing reasons and not anything else.

I suspect you’re right although I would hope that Warnock’s preference is based on sound footballing reasons and not anything else.
    Warnock has his favourites so if Smithies face doesn't quite fit he will be off.
    Not sure if you're suggesting anything untoward though 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    Warnock has his favourites so if Smithies face doesn't quite fit he will be off.
    Not sure if you're suggesting anything untoward though ��
    No, I’m not. Warnock appears to take against players, for whatever reason, at the drop of a hat. Quite rightly, we never really find out but it did occur to me that Warnock, of all the managers we have had since I’ve been watching (which is a long time), seems to take against players more than any of his predecessors. Just an impression, perhaps an incorrect one

He did sign Smithies. Perhaps he didn't (understandably) fancy another year warming the bench when he could easily be starting for other Championship sides.

No, I’m not. Warnock appears to take against players, for whatever reason, at the drop of a hat. Quite rightly, we never really find out but it did occur to me that Warnock, of all the managers we have had since I’ve been watching (which is a long time), seems to take against players more than any of his predecessors. Just an impression, perhaps an incorrect one
    I think you have summed him up to a T .