+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus: overhyped fear-mongering or potential mega doom?

Re: Coronavirus: overhyped fear-mongering or potential mega doom?

Quote Originally Posted by tell it like it is View Post
    Nothing to do with Trump.

Governments focused on uni degrees to the point that most degrees these days are devalued. Polys became Unis, more people have a degree then the less it actually means. Plenty of college lecturers have never worked in the real world so theoretical rather than practical can dominate.

I think UK should remove offshoring for activities. IT offshoring hasn't worked, that's pretty much evidence. I'd like to see us building up our manufacturing sector and I think the education sector needs to reflect that. Practical qualifications need to be massively improved.
    I would politely disagree , his campaign march in 2016 was very much on that theme where he promised that his steep tariffs on Chinese goods would help bring jobs back to the U.S .

I know it wont work as the world is a bigger economy now but it was his theme and idea to deal with unemployment in the "Rust Belt" which has been in decline since the 80's , its a bit like UK and some parts of Europe , its sold it manufacturing base to India , China and Asia for cheaper white goods and clothing .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I would politely disagree , his campaign march in 2016 was very much on that theme where he promised that his steep tariffs on Chinese goods would help bring jobs back to the U.S .

I know it wont work as the world is a bigger economy now but it was his theme and idea to deal with unemployment in the "Rust Belt" which has been in decline since the 80's , its a bit like UK and some parts of Europe , its sold it manufacturing base to India , China and Asia for cheaper white goods and clothing .
    I've had the view manufacturing in UK should be prioritised for years before Trump became President... ditto education reforms.

What coronavirus has shown is that it's folly to put eggs in one basket, relying on China for manufacturing is ridiculous.

We need to get away from everyone being brought up and pushed to do university degrees unit for purpose and recognise that for many, vocational pathways are far, far more important - and they should be given equal status.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    No proof required either, as it can also be assumed without testing. Its a very liberal approach to recording the cause of death, as Dr Birx herself pointed out.
    Isn't this the same way that the CDC in the USA has for a long time calculated flu deaths, that is as flu-associated deaths? Because many people who contract flu die from medical complications it causes related to secondary conditions.

I've had the view manufacturing in UK should be prioritised for years before Trump became President... ditto education reforms.

What coronavirus has shown is that it's folly to put eggs in one basket, relying on China for manufacturing is ridiculous.

We need to get away from everyone being brought up and pushed to do university degrees unit for purpose and recognise that for many, vocational pathways are far, far more important - and they should be given equal status.
    yes up skilling folk in the manufacturing arena's woudl be great , as Japan lets start to bring it back to the shores ,yes we may pay more as our wage / employee costs are much higher , but you cant have the cake and the bun , this rush for cheaper goods has costs us ..

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Isn't this the same way that the CDC in the USA has for a long time calculated flu deaths, that is as flu-associated deaths? Because many people who contract flu die from medical complications it causes related to secondary conditions.
    Yep

What do you mean by equal status?

Governments focused on uni degrees to the point that most degrees these days are devalued. Polys became Unis, more people have a degree then the less it actually means. Plenty of college lecturers have never worked in the real world so theoretical rather than practical can dominate.
    It was all about growing the student loan market IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    WHO warned of transmission risk in January, despite Trump claims:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...e-trump-claims
    As early as January 10, hey?

As early as January 10, hey?
    Erm, that tweet is the basis of the article. Might be worth a read.

Erm, that tweet is the basis of the article. Might be worth a read.
    The WHO are not our friends, expect to see a big shakeup in the next week or two.

It was all about growing the student loan market IMO.
    Most of which are never repaid.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    What do you mean by equal status?
    It's always been viewed that Universities are bastions of intellect ( spoiler - most aren't ) whilst mechanics are well, just there.

A highly skilled mechanic is far more important imo than a media studies degree.

It's always been viewed that Universities are bastions of intellect ( spoiler - most aren't ) whilst mechanics are well, just there.

A highly skilled mechanic is far more important imo than a media studies degree.
    Oh I agree with that, they also probably earn more and pay significantly less to obtain that knowledge/skillset. The University system is a mess, Labour started the cock up and the Lib Dem's and Tories have doubled down on it to leave us with something that just isn't fit for purpose.

Most of which are never repaid.
    Well the main issue is uncertainty. The student doesn't know how much their degree is going to cost them and the taxpayer doesn't know to what extent they are funding the student. It is a really good example of kicking the can down the road.

I remember challenging a grade once after spending a lot of time researching a specific topic, and the lecturer at my top tier university said I didn't know what I was talking about. So I contacted the professor at MIT in America who was the originator of this particular field of study and he said my work was outstanding, and my understanding of the subject was at PhD level. It was then that I realised that most universities are treadmills, and that it was entirely possible to self-educate oneself if you have the requisite skillset.

I remember challenging a grade once after spending a lot of time researching a specific topic, and the lecturer at my top tier university said I didn't know what I was talking about. So I contacted the professor at MIT in America who was the originator of this particular field of study and he said my work was outstanding, and my understanding of the subject was at PhD level. It was then that I realised that most universities are treadmills, and that it was entirely possible to self-educate oneself if you have the requisite skillset.
    In some ways this post explains exactly why you have that deep love affair with Donald J Trump.

They broke the mould when they made you two!

So what did you do? Use the MIT Professor's words to go and get that PhD and show that top tier University what a talented god they had within their midst or get off the treadmill, self-educate and spend a few decades on a football messageboard trying to convince seriously sceptical people about how clever you really are?

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    So what did you do? Use the MIT Professor's words to go and get that PhD and show that top tier University what a talented god they had within their midst or get off the treadmill, self-educate and spend a few decades on a football messageboard trying to convince seriously sceptical people about how clever you really are?
    No, I just realised that the world is full of idiots.

No, I just realised that the world is full of idiots who are oblivious to the fact that they are not quite as smart as they think they are.

No, I just realised that the world is full of idiots.
    and?

No, I just realised that the world is full of idiots who are oblivious to the fact that they are not quite as smart as they think they are.
    Ooops didn't realise you had not quite finished your thought processes. So, picking up the story you ignored the MIT Professor's words to go and get that PhD and show that top tier University what a talented god they had within their midst and instead got off the treadmill, self-educated yourself and have spend a few decades on a football messageboard showing that the world is full of idiots who are oblivious to the fact that they are not quite as smart as they think they are. Is that where we are in your life achievement shout?

Ooops didn't realise you had not quite finished your thought processes. So, picking up the story you ignored the MIT Professor's words to go and get that PhD and show that top tier University what a talented god they had within their midst and instead got off the treadmill, self-educated yourself and have spend a few decades on a football messageboard showing that the world is full of idiots who are oblivious to the fact that they are not quite as smart as they think they are. Is that where we are in your life achievement shout?
    Listen mate, I spent a lot of time explaining in very fine detail why you were wrong about so many things. I walked you through the Steele dossier, Russia collusion, obstruction of Justice, Muller report, Kavanagh, impeachment, etc., but you didn't have the intelligence to analyse information and think for yourself. So now I am done with all of your BS, as you are a complete moron and a total waste of space. Maybe it's time to go and annoy somebody else, and stop this psychotic behaviour, yeah?

Listen mate, I spent a lot of time explaining in very fine detail why you were wrong about so many things. I walked you through the Steele dossier, Russia collusion, obstruction of Justice, Muller report, Kavanagh, impeachment, etc., but you didn't have the intelligence to analyse information and think for yourself. So now I am done with all of your BS, as you are a complete moron and a total waste of space. Maybe it's time to go and annoy somebody else, and stop this psychotic behaviour, yeah?
    So no PhD?

Did anybody notice that Fauci & Birx were claiming the success of social distancing was responsible for a further reduction in the IHME data model? I thought the original prediction already took into account the influence of social distancing?