+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: JPR dies age 74

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: JPR dies age 74

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Always found it hard to reconcile his medical background with how he would go actively seeking physical collisions on the rugby pitch - in that respect, he was ahead of his time and I believe he would have been as effective a player now as he was in the seventies.

If I had to pick one moment from his career to remember him by now, it would be his drop goal for the Lions in the fourth test in New Zealand to seal a draw in the game and a 2-1 series win. It was a superb kick from about forty yards which absolutely sailed through the posts and, from memory, it was the only drop kick I saw him attempt in his career, yet it was so good that you had to think why didn't he try more of them - the thing was though, JPR wasn't a drop goal type player, he much preferred running and tackling.

He was also a very good tennis player as a youngster.

RIP
    Loved his cricket too and didn't he win junior Wimbledon?

RIP JPR

First Team

A seriously impressive individual who excelled both on and off the sporting arena.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post

RIP JPR
    Bit of a myth built up about him winning junior Wimbledon. Apparently he won British National junior tournament there on the clay courts not the actual junior Wimbledon title. Still some achievement though.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post

RIP JPR
    He was a good tennis player, played in the same club and county team with my old man….