+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Arm our officers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Arm our officers

Quote Originally Posted by Packerman View Post
    as a a retired met officer who was an AFO for 15 years my articulate thoughts are that the police don't need or want to be fully armed, what they need is enough armed response to deal with situations that arise, not a problem in London but obviously an issue in other smaller forces, carrying a weapon is a huge responsibility with the onus on you to justify your actions taken in the split second of an incident perhaps to a jury months later when what you did can be minutely examined, not everyone wants that responsibility, we've seen previous threads on this board with people asking why didn't they shoot to wound sums up the predicament nicely
    welcome to the thread, even though disagree with me

as you say, the answer must be to have more ARU's, i have used rural area's as a example, over 30 mins ETA to the furthest town in the county

you mention not all would want to be armed, what type of % do you think it would be ? ? ( I am planning to ask my mate this tomorrow ) i have mentioned in this thread the bloke next door using his tazer and the comebacks on it, he is still worried about it now

I have sent this thread to a AR Officer in the met, he has replied to me, that he will read it later

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    welcome to the thread, even though disagree with me

as you say, the answer must be to have more ARU's, i have used rural area's as a example, over 30 mins ETA to the furthest town in the county

you mention not all would want to be armed, what type of % do you think it would be ? ? ( I am planning to ask my mate this tomorrow ) i have mentioned in this thread the bloke next door using his tazer and the comebacks on it, he is still worried about it now

I have sent this thread to a AR Officer in the met, he has replied to me, that he will read it later

the majority in my experience, as i said a huge responsibility, reasonable force can be a bastard when you have spray, perhaps a taser and a gun, split second to decide

the majority in my experience, as i said a huge responsibility, reasonable force can be a bastard when you have spray, perhaps a taser and a gun, split second to decide
    how long you been out ? ? ?

genuinely interested in this armed dilemma from people who have done it

how long you been out ? ? ?

genuinely interested in this armed dilemma from people who have done it
    retired in 2011,

retired in 2011,
    i wonder if the % has changed with the " new terrorist threats "

i wonder if the % has changed with the " new terrorist threats "
    vaste majority of police are not involved with policing terrorism unless they are on patrols or cordons etc after the event, the daily slog for the majority is reporting burglaries, domestics, assaults etc and generally chasing their tails for the whole shift, actual preventative policing is dying out, no time

vaste majority of police are not involved with policing terrorism unless they are on patrols or cordons etc after the event, the daily slog for the majority is reporting burglaries, domestics, assaults etc and generally chasing their tails for the whole shift, actual preventative policing is dying out, no time
    the guy next door to me is aware of the threat of " being killed in a terror attack ", infact a few years ago, they were all told to change into Civvy clothes to go home, as the threat of a policeman being killed in a attack was real, it must have been after Lee Rigby was murdered

I have discussed that with him, he hates it that his wife and family worry about him at work, it pee's him of alot, he often moans, i would have been better of being a window cleaner

My believed opinion is that the Policeman who fired that shot yesterday will be investigated thoroughly , interviewed, his clothes taken at time he was wearing and he will be left sweating for a period of time whilst it is decided if he carried out his actions lawfully.

I once went into a custody suite where a bloke brought in on drunk and disorderly has a massive heart attack and died. All sorts of ailments bless him and nothing could be done. I had nothing to do with him but was still investigated throughly as I happened to be in the acells in another matter.
    So I give respect to my ex colleagues who take up armed duties as it's a hell of a responsibility especially when you take a shot .

[QUOTE=CardiffIrish2;4728975]My believed opinion is that the Policeman who fired that shot yesterday will be investigated thoroughly , interviewed, his clothes taken at time he was wearing and he will be left sweating for a period of time whilst it is decided if he carried out his actions lawfully.

/QUOTE]

which is the way it should be, while I would trust the call of the guy 100% ( naive maybe ) when he takes a life, of course it needs to be justified, which leads me to our police force being a step above the US

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffIrish2 View Post
    My believed opinion is that the Policeman who fired that shot yesterday will be investigated thoroughly , interviewed, his clothes taken at time he was wearing and he will be left sweating for a period of time whilst it is decided if he carried out his actions lawfully.
    I think it should be investigated fully but I don't think he will have anything to worry about and will certainly not be left sweating. It's important anyone killed by the police whoever it may be be fully investigated.

I agree from an objective point of view. My thinking is somewhat different as I remember that aforementioned grilling I had .
    I feel for the officer, he's done the right thing but it's going to be a potracted affair waiting for that final seal of approval that he did nothing wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffIrish2 View Post
    I agree from an objective point of view. My thinking is somewhat different as I remember that aforementioned grilling I had .
    I feel for the officer, he's done the right thing but it's going to be a potracted affair waiting for that final seal of approval that he did nothing wrong.
    I suspect the tabloids/media/public would become apoplectic if the officer was is subsequently seen to get given a hard time or negative outcome over his actions, particularly in light of the level and style of media coverage we have seen over the last 24 hrs.

The whole area is now, understandably, so very emotive.