+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: "That" save

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: "That" save

A particular attribute of Mr Banks is that he seemed to have the amazing skill of diving for a ball and actually holding and collecting it as opposed to palming or punching it away. Even to this day, few goalkeepers seem to have this skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    A particular attribute of Mr Banks is that he seemed to have the amazing skill of diving for a ball and actually holding and collecting it as opposed to palming or punching it away. Even to this day, few goalkeepers seem to have this skill.
    I've only seen clips of him but it seemed to me his positional play was so good that he didn't have to dive much but just catch the ball

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    I've only seen clips of him but it seemed to me his positional play was so good that he didn't have to dive much but just catch the ball
    I have to be honest in that memory is a very nebulous thing and nostalgia is a very strong force. Maybe it's difficult to be objective....

I have to be honest in that memory is a very nebulous thing and nostalgia is a very strong force. Maybe it's difficult to be objective....
    I'm too young to have seen him play so only seen the best bits really where he just always seemed to be in the right place, personally just based on highlights as I wasn't even born when either was playing but I would prefer Jennings

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    I'm too young to have seen him play so only seen the best bits really where he just always seemed to be in the right place, personally just based on highlights as I wasn't even born when either was playing but I would prefer Jennings
    Jennings was a superb keeper who seemed to dominate his area and had excellent handling skills. I couldn't even try to compare the two but, along with Shilton, there were a few superb keepers around.

Big Nev used to catch it a lot too.

I wonder if its coached out of them now. Too risky to drop it so get it as far away as possible.

This I agree with. I can't understand why keepers palm it away these days, when catching it would be just as easy and a lot safer.