+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Burts Biscuits and Cakes, Bridgend...

Burts Biscuits and Cakes, Bridgend...

Been in the US for nearly 9 years now and often find myself trying to find genuine British food products in place of the dreadful pap they offer here. No more so than during the festive season when I long for traditional Xmas fare wherever I can find it. 'Proper' Xmas fruit cake isn't easy to find but I discovered some little beauties this year - and made in Wales too!

In fact they're made by Burts Biscuits and Cakes from Bridgend now available in the middle of Iowa (that's short for nowhere!) and they are delicious. Stocked by 'World Market' which sells foodstuff from most European countries - and presumably much appreciated by ex-pats everywhere. And the retailer graciously acknowledges Burts on the boxes and that they're made in Wales

So, many thanks to this innovative company which produces and exports across the world it seems, lots of goodies that must be doing quite well for them. See their website showing their presence in all continents of the world and their wonderful products: http://burtsbiscuitsandcakes.co.uk/

Just hope the fruit cake is available year-round and not just at Christmas.

Re: Burts Biscuits and Cakes, Bridgend...

Bridgend is full of fruit cakes mate

I drove past Burtons biscuits, Cwmbran earlier. Has to be one of the best smells ever. I'm glad I don't work there as I'd be even fatter than I am now.

This is part of Bozo Johnson's post brexit trade deal.
    Cake means cake.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post
    Been in the US for nearly 9 years now and often find myself trying to find genuine British food products in place of the dreadful pap they offer here. No more so than during the festive season when I long for traditional Xmas fare wherever I can find it. 'Proper' Xmas fruit cake isn't easy to find but I discovered some little beauties this year - and made in Wales too!

In fact they're made by Burts Biscuits and Cakes from Bridgend now available in the middle of Iowa (that's short for nowhere!) and they are delicious. Stocked by 'World Market' which sells foodstuff from most European countries - and presumably much appreciated by ex-pats everywhere. And the retailer graciously acknowledges Burts on the boxes and that they're made in Wales

So, many thanks to this innovative company which produces and exports across the world it seems, lots of goodies that must be doing quite well for them. See their website showing their presence in all continents of the world and their wonderful products: http://burtsbiscuitsandcakes.co.uk/

Do you think they handed them out at the caucuses?

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Do you think they handed them out at the caucuses?
    If you're interested I went along to hear Biden, Buttigieg and Elizabeth Warren at rallies in or near where I'm living. Also went to see Bernie last week but he had substitute speakers (Michael Moore was in good form) as he was stuck in the Impeachment trial.

I also fully intended to go along as a spectator to a caucus nearby to see how the hell it worked but during the afternoon CNN covered 'early' caucuses in Florida and Arizona (where largish numbers of Iowans scoot off to for the winter) and they showed exactly how the events worked which meant I could stay home in the evening and watch results come in. Or so I thought, anyway!

Huge criticism after the count debacle as you can imagine and it would appear Iowa DNC are likely to consign caucuses to the bin in future and just have a straight vote as elsewhere. All good fun.

Immigrants.

International

If you're interested I went along to hear Biden, Buttigieg and Elizabeth Warren at rallies in or near where I'm living. Also went to see Bernie last week but he had substitute speakers (Michael Moore was in good form) as he was stuck in the Impeachment trial.

I also fully intended to go along as a spectator to a caucus nearby to see how the hell it worked but during the afternoon CNN covered 'early' caucuses in Florida and Arizona (where largish numbers of Iowans scoot off to for the winter) and they showed exactly how the events worked which meant I could stay home in the evening and watch results come in. Or so I thought, anyway!

Huge criticism after the count debacle as you can imagine and it would appear Iowa DNC are likely to consign caucuses to the bin in future and just have a straight vote as elsewhere. All good fun.
    But the way they dop it in Iowa sounds old fashioed but strage.y fun, if you know what I mean. Like we used to do in school.

It's Ogmore Vale Bakery in a new form. Wondered what happened to them after they closed in the Rhiw Arcade, Bridgend. Lovely pasties back in the day

Must be difficult in Iowa. Can you get real pizza there? Or Indian, Chinese, Thai and Mexican food?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Must be difficult in Iowa. Can you get real pizza there? Or Indian, Chinese, Thai and Mexican food?
    I retired years ago but we're here because my missus is a professor at Iowa State U. We were in Minneapolis for 6 years whilst she did her PhD and loved it there despite the brutal winters. Big city, so much choice and things to do - without actually being monstrous like London, NYC etc.

Then she took the post at ISU in Ames, small town 25 miles north of Des Moines. Very limited choice as you can imagine and we have to make the trip to Des Moines for a decent restaurant, shopping and so on. Can't see us staying more than another 5 years, enough for her to feel she's achieved and then get back to Blighty.

Sorry, to answer your question, there's a dozen or so eateries of the kind you mention. ISU has 36,000 students, slightly more than the number of permanent residents most of whom are employed directly by the U or provide services to it. By its nature, though the quality of places to eat out isn't great. As you probably know, Iowa is mile after mile of cornfields and soy beans.

Final stat: UK has 60 million acres and a population approaching 68 million. Iowa has 36 million acres of land and a shade over 3 million people.

I retired years ago but we're here because my missus is a professor at Iowa State U. We were in Minneapolis for 6 years whilst she did her PhD and loved it there despite the brutal winters. Big city, so much choice and things to do - without actually being monstrous like London, NYC etc.

Then she took the post at ISU in Ames, small town 25 miles north of Des Moines. Very limited choice as you can imagine and we have to make the trip to Des Moines for a decent restaurant, shopping and so on. Can't see us staying more than another 5 years, enough for her to feel she's achieved and then get back to Blighty.
    When you return you can feast yourself on proper cakes biscuits and the delights of a hot Bovril alongside the necessary City Season ticket purchase

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    When you return you can feast yourself on proper cakes biscuits and the delights of a hot Bovril alongside the necessary City Season ticket purchase
    Looking forward to it already

Looking forward to it already
    How long have you been in the States?

How long have you been in the States?
    See the opening post - arrived in 2011 for the missus to get her PhD (U of Minnesota); moved to Ames for Fall semester in 2018.

Out of interest only, how long have you been in NYC; what do you do there?

See the opening post - arrived in 2011 for the missus to get her PhD (U of Minnesota); moved to Ames for Fall semester in 2018.

Out of interest only, how long have you been in NYC; what do you do there?
    I've been here for 27 years. I work for one of the big, international art galleries.

I've been here for 27 years. I work for one of the big, international art galleries.
    Cool; nice one. Many years since we've been in the Big Apple but if we make a return, I'll be sure to let you know.