+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Retained list

Re: Retained list

Ideally all 3 keepers would be out of contract and we could release them all.

I do think Phillips is better than the other 2 and would be a decent no 2. Allsopp and Allnwick are under contract though so its a number 1 we need.

I agree with the offers to King Harris and Bagan.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Think Jones, MacNamara and Pritchard are a little unlucky to be released by the under 21s. As for the seniors, no surprises for me, still think Harris can be a Championship standard forward, Bagan was treated poorly last season and King seemed to have benefitted from his time at Crewe even if his form tailed off somewhat towards the end of it.
    I agree with you over Pritchard, but no sure about the other two. Neither were quick enough to play at RB, nor did they have the height of a CB. I thought Pritchard could have made a pretty good RB; intelligent, a good defender and leader.

Very pleased with the renewals Keiron Evans definitely has something and is a class above Leahy. Amazed about Conte and to a lesser extent Antwi. Conte showed nothing but whilst Antwi did well, he (like Benjamin) is never going to be a 1st team player.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Don’t get the hate for Mark Harris

Let’s see how he does with a target man.

He was doing everything on his own before.

Good luck to Tom Sang
    Agree with this. He has pace, works hard, but is not a natural goal scorer. Every squad needs his like. He reminds me a bit of Cohen Griffith

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianAlston View Post
    Agree with this. He has pace, works hard, but is not a natural goal scorer. Every squad needs his like. He reminds me a bit of Cohen Griffith
    in fairness Cohen Griffith would have been out of his depth at this level too

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    in fairness Cohen Griffith would have been out of his depth at this level too
    Good answer

I think more a poor man's Danny Ward. Ward was a competent finisher who prospered when games opened up an defences were stretched and tired but as a starter rarely made a huge impression. Harris runs the channels and pressures defences but not sure he opens them up. An asset if you are 1-0 up with 20 to go but not sure he changes much when, more often than not, we are one down at home as he doesn't have the technical skills to make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Fair enough Bob, good enough reasons, although where i will disagree with you is when you talk about the team not showing up in an attacking sense, or front foot as you put it, in terms of the three players mentioned, but, in my opinion that's an excuse, decent footballers find a way to show us what they're about in my opinion, tney'll get the ball enough times during a game that shows us that they have something, it might not come off, but as supporters i think that we can recognise quality, even in a poor team with crap tactics, Nathan Blake didn't have that problem and he played in some awful City sides, we just knew that he was better than the others.
    That has to be the longest sentence in the history of CCMB!

Btw: I agree with your assessment of Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    That has to be the longest sentence in the history of CCMB!

Btw: I agree with your assessment of Harris.
    Do i win a prize? I like Harris, and he'll make a career out of being an honest grafter, But surely we've all seen enough?

Do i win a prize? I like Harris, and he'll make a career out of being an honest grafter, But surely we've all seen enough?
    League two standard at best, he shouldn’t be anywhere near to a Championship squad never mind the starting lineup

Not until we sign better. An overlooked dynamic.

Ben Foster is staying on at Wrexham. Is he any worse than Allsopp or Alnwick?

Along the same lines Paul Mullin or Mark Harris ? I don’t think Wrexham would prefer Harris!

More like Derrek Showers.

Not until we sign better. An overlooked dynamic.
    Signing better players becomes difficult if you’re working within a tight budget but filling your squad with limited grafters.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    Along the same lines Paul Mullin or Mark Harris ? I don’t think Wrexham would prefer Harris!
    Neither do I. Forward grafters don't score many goals. Mullin knows the positions to get into and can provide a spark of genius. Harris works hard.

Paul Mullin is 28. Hes barely scored a goal above L2.

Lets get a grip.

Foster is an England International and obviously better than our 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post

Lets get a grip.

Would you rather have Mullin up front for us or Harris?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Would you rather have Mullin up front for us or Harris?
    I really dont know. I havent seen enough of Mullin but hes got no record above L2 for scoring goals.

I really dont know. I havent seen enough of Mullin but hes got no record above L2 for scoring goals.
    Despite not being supportive of Mullin at Championship level, you're not sure about Harris either. I think that says more about Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Despite not being supportive of Mullin at Championship level, you're not sure about Harris either. I think that says more about Harris.
    I think Harris can do a job in a squad in a Championship club whose realistic aim will be Championship survival.

Ideally we need better. But as we are under embargo ive no issue with him being given a 1 year deal.

I think he will probably leave anyway.

Thought Sang had something to offer

Lets get a grip.

That’s the point though, Mullin has only scored a few goals at league 1 level but I don’t see a single Wrexham fan taking Harris over him .

You say about Mullin being 28 yet you would take Foster , who is 40, over our 2 current keepers? ( admittedly that’s not setting a very high bar for Foster 😂)

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I take your point, there are players who would rise above the sort of thing I talked about. I long ago came to the conclusion that, even if I had the ability, I didn’t have the mindset to succeed in football, but, when you consider the last three seasons at home, I think even super confident footballers would start to have doubts about playing at home. It seems reasonable to me that at least some of our players would be viewed more generously if we could have a season where we won, say, fourteen home games.

One thing I was encouraged by in Bulut’s press conference was that he singled out the need to improve our home record - I really do think it would make a huge difference.

Harris appears to play better for Wales from what I’ve seen , so in an improved City team will see an improvement in Mark Harris - that’s if he chooses to sign a new deal , he may have offers elsewhere to consider.

Nathan Blake didn't have that problem and he played in some awful City sides, we just knew that he was better than the others.
    I quite like Harris, he has pace and works hard. A championship squad needs 5-7 attackers and until we have 5-7 better than him (which we don't and probably won't for next season) I hope he stays. The likes of Ojo, Watters and Zimba should all go before he does. He has played all of his games for City in a dire, misfunctioning attacking team. We have had nobody in midfield or out wide for two seasons who can pass to somebody in the same coloured shirt. Please don't suggest Philogene as he didn't try and pass.

That said, I'm interested in the Nathan Blake comparison. Three things worth noting:

1. Nathan was a class above Harris
    2. Most of his City career was spent on the left wing in a 4-4-2
    3. Apart from his final (part) season, he played in promotion chasing winning teams.

Nathan would have looked a class above last season for us, he was brilliant. I don't think even the most ardent Harris fan would suggest that he is Blakeys equal.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    More like Derrek Showers.
    Great comparison. Although, a little bit before my time. Harris is probably a little more versatile than Showers hence the Cohen comparison. But great call.

How about Ray Bishop?