+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Florida/Orlando

Florida/Orlando

Considering the pound is weak it's not *too* bad.

What's the cheapest way of doing it with all the parks for a group of 8-10 adults

Re: Florida/Orlando

Blue Matt in 3,2,1.....

I've not been to Orlando for a few years, but that many people, I'd suggest looking at renting a house, a van and getting the park hopper passes (assuming they still do them)

Where the fück if Blue Matt?

Skyscanner for flights. Gatwick usually the cheapest but you will need to factor in an overnight stay. Rent a property in Orlando. Cost in mid season is around £700 per week (if you can find one as they usually get booked up long in advance ) but more in the high season. Park tickets are not normally discounted but some property renters do have links to ticket agents where discounts can be obtained but not normally for Disney. For example I got Sea World tickets for $10 dollars each from an agent in Celebration. Multi park tickets might be the best option. Rent a car before you leave home as that is by far the cheapest option. For convenience I use the airline as that is competitive but not always the cheapest as the airline allows multi drivers free. Shop around. The holiday for 10 will be expensive and made worse by the currency depreciation. Don't forget to get your ESTA form for each party member.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Skyscanner for flights. Gatwick usually the cheapest but you will need to factor in an overnight stay. Rent a property in Orlando. Cost in mid season is around £700 per week (if you can find one as they usually get booked up long in advance ) but more in the high season. Park tickets are not normally discounted but some property renters do have links to ticket agents where discounts can be obtained but not normally for Disney. For example I got Sea World tickets for $10 dollars each from an agent in Celebration. Multi park tickets might be the best option. Rent a car before you leave home as that is by far the cheapest option. For convenience I use the airline as that is competitive but not always the cheapest as the airline allows multi drivers free. Shop around. The holiday for 10 will be expensive and made worse by the currency depreciation. Don't forget to get your ESTA form for each party member.
    Thank you. I have read blue matts previous post however no one on this trip wants to drive and none of us are taking children

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Thank you. I have read blue matts previous post however no one on this trip wants to drive and none of us are taking children
    Unless you're staying at a hotel with a shuttle I'd say driving is pretty much essential I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Unless you're staying at a hotel with a shuttle I'd say driving is pretty much essential I'm afraid.
    Agreed, unless you stay at one of the theme park hotels which are very expensive and use taxis for wherever else you wish to go.

We went back in 2015 without a car and stayed on International Drive. Used Uber to transfer between hotel and park (though often walked to Universal). As a guide, think an Uber is about $12-$14 between Universal and Disney.

We go back first week of June and whilst we are staying onsite at Universal for the fortnight, will again use Uber for 99% of our transport.

If a group of 8 and all adults, look at signing up for an Uber account and then use the affiliate links, to link together, and you should be able get a load of free rides to start you off. We've got about 16 free $15 rides to use when we get over there.

What parks are you planning to do?

As above, driving is pretty much essential in Orlando unless you're going to stay in one of the Disney/Universal hotels and get the shuttle bus to and from the parks and then willing to pay considerable amounts for taxis everyhere else. The Universal and Disney parks are quite far apart from each other and then outside of that the shopping malls and food places are also quite spread out.

Cheapeast way by far would be to get a big Villa, the larger one's sleep up to 12-15 people and from the experiences I've had in Orlando it's much more enjoyable being in one of these Villas with your own private space and pool, much more freedom. Driving is very easy on the roads out there, understand it's a pain that soneone always has to stay off the drink but in a big group could just take it in turns driving?

Feedback

this thread is void until Blue Matt has posted

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Agreed, unless you stay at one of the theme park hotels which are very expensive and use taxis for wherever else you wish to go.
    I did the Animal Kingdom Lodge for a few years on the trot, and used the disney bus every day, but also used the car most nights for driving to a restaurant, going to the malls, universal or seaworld.

People don't always realise that WDW is the same size as San Francisco, International Drive is eleven miles long so unless you're happy to stay in the hotel the whole time, or have got a restaurant right next door, walking isn't really an option. Get a Villa, and it's even worse, most of them are miles away from disney, I'm talking Cardiff to Newport.

Out of interest if you go with uber to park what happens with payment going into the parks?

As ccfcwelshlad has posted above, if none of you want to drive, then International Drive (or just off I-Drive) is by far the best place to be for you.

SeaWorld & their water park (which I've found to be the best water park in Orlando) are at the bottom of International Drive.

Universal Studios & Universal's Islands of Adventure are at the very top.

In between you have about 3 miles of shops & restaurants, and the "i-trolley" (trolley buses) that go up & down I-Drive every few minutes.

From there, Busch Gardens (Tampa Bay, 60 miles away) should be accessible by shuttle bus from one of the hotels.

The easier way (imo) is to rent a 5-10 bedroom villa about 15 miles south of Orlando (areas such as Four Corners, Champions Gate, Celebration all have 1000s of villas).

The positives (over a hotel) here are that you have a whole house to yourself, usually a private pool, many have pool tables in their garages etc, and you can shop at the supermarkets (WallMart or Publix) to save on the cost of going to restaurants every night. And you're 15 mins closer to Busch Gardens in Tampa.

The positives of a hotel are their proximity to restaurants & amieneties, and they may have a shuttle bus to the parks.

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    Out of interest if you go with uber to park what happens with payment going into the parks?
    Uber has got so popular that Disney now just wave them through to access the drop off areas outside each park. Universal has a drop-off area (same place as coaches etc go from). I've had a look a few times in the evenings around the parks closing and there's been minimal surge pricing and loads of cars always available.

Has anyone been to check there's not a build up of milk outside Blue Matt's house?

Quote Originally Posted by itkman View Post
    Has anyone been to check there's not a build up of milk outside Blue Matt's house?
    I must admit i am a little touched i have been missed

I have been exchanging some IM's with the OP, i just cannot be arsed at the mo with the idiots who appear to just post crap after every post i make, the final one was the cyber attack thread ( cheers to the few who didnt " jump on the bandwagon and join in and posted they knew what i meant " ) , i thought, why bother, i had just found a family member is seriously ill and needs a op and treatment to save her life, so i thought " why waste my time ". I am still around though

park hopper passes (assuming they still do them)
    They havent been called that for a good few years over here, you can get " magic your way " tickets from the US ( at the gate ) but pricewise the UK tickets " ultimate " is the best priced, and a much better deal for even 1 week

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    They havent been called that for a good few years over here, you can get " magic your way " tickets from the US ( at the gate ) but pricewise the UK tickets " ultimate " is the best priced, and a much better deal for even 1 week
    My lat trip to wdw was 7 years ago, my little boy's not so little anymore, so I guess I'm a bit out of touch. These days it's just me and the Mrs at "adult Disney" in Key West.
    Sorry to hear about your relative btw.

some nice hotel 2 bedroom suites at LBV ( lake buena vista ) opposite disney springs ( old downtown disney ) some are disney partner hotels, so while they do not have disney bus's, they have very similar and are more frequent

I did the Animal Kingdom Lodge for a few years on the trot, and used the disney bus every day, but also used the car most nights for driving to a restaurant, going to the malls, universal or seaworld.

People don't always realise that WDW is the same size as San Francisco, International Drive is eleven miles long so unless you're happy to stay in the hotel the whole time, or have got a restaurant right next door, walking isn't really an option. Get a Villa, and it's even worse, most of them are miles away from disney, I'm talking Cardiff to Newport.
    which is why a hotel or suite always appeals to me more and in with my " disney planning hat " on, is what i recommend

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    Officially, The driver is s.posed to pay ( which thay ask you for ) but many CM's at the booths just wave you in

Quote Originally Posted by Ainsley Harriott View Post
    As ccfcwelshlad has posted above, if none of you want to drive, then International Drive (or just off I-Drive) is by far the best place to be for you.

SeaWorld & their water park (which I've found to be the best water park in Orlando) are at the bottom of International Drive.

Universal Studios & Universal's Islands of Adventure are at the very top.

In between you have about 3 miles of shops & restaurants, and the "i-trolley" (trolley buses) that go up & down I-Drive every few minutes.

The easier way (imo) is to rent a 5-10 bedroom villa about 15 miles south of Orlando (areas such as Four Corners, Champions Gate, Celebration all have 1000s of villas).

The positives (over a hotel) here are that you have a whole house to yourself, usually a private pool, many have pool tables in their garages etc, and you can shop at the supermarkets (WallMart or Publix) to save on the cost of going to restaurants every night. And you're 15 mins closer to Busch Gardens in Tampa.

The positives of a hotel are their proximity to restaurants & amieneties, and they may have a shuttle bus to the parks.
    The seaworld waterpark is called Aquatica its a personal choice, my fav is Typhoon lagoon

While i dont mind Idrive, i think the better place in the past few years has turned into LBV, idrive seems to have lost the sparkle and just looks run down now

Quote Originally Posted by ccfcwelshlad View Post
    Uber has got so popular that Disney now just wave them through to access the drop off areas outside each park. Universal has a drop-off area (same place as coaches etc go from). I've had a look a few times in the evenings around the parks closing and there's been minimal surge pricing and loads of cars always available.
    Officially the driver ( then you ) have to pay and people have reported they have had to, it depends on the CM

Sorry to hear about your relative btw.
    cheers, it makes you reevaluate your life a little

$$ rate hit $1.30 this morning

Oh for the days of $2.0 to the £

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    $$ rate hit $1.30 this morning

Oh for the days of $2.0 to the £
    The way Trump is going it could be heading that way sooner rather than later...

Quote Originally Posted by itkman View Post
    The way Trump is going it could be heading that way sooner rather than later...
    He was always going to be good for the $ rate got to love him for that

First time we went, circa 1996 we got about $1.90 to the £.

Last year we were getting around $1.44

This year, thanks to Boris and Nigel, we only got $1.20

First time we went, circa 1996 we got about $1.90 to the £.

Last year we were getting around $1.44

This year, thanks to Boris and Nigel, we only got $1.20
    I tend to buy a few hundred $$ when i have the money, so its spread over 2 years, last trip ( Oct ) we were spending stuff i got for 1.6 ( ish ) as i found the receipt for the TC's

Now using a revoult card, so topping up when i have some spare money, be nice to hit 1.5 by the end of the year