+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Craig Bellamy

Craig Bellamy

Listening to a recent podcast got me thinking.
    Robbie Savage said that the most professional footballer he ever worked with was Craig Bellamy.
    Take a listen from 14 minutes http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0531dwt
    Now I know quite a few of us on here think that CB could well make a decent manager if given the chance, but has he got the temperatment when it comes to his players making mistakes?

Re: Craig Bellamy

Quote Originally Posted by The Alien View Post
    Robbie Savage said that the most professional footballer he ever worked with was Craig Bellamy.
    Now I know quite a few of us on here think that CB could well make a decent manager if given the chance, but has he got the temperatment when it comes to his players making mistakes?
    We all mature with age and experience. I'm sure the same applies to CB. If he's not a great manager here he'll be a great manager elsewhere.

I remember Bellers telling me once that he achieved what he did, not so much through natural talent as hard work. First on the training ground, last to leave and the one thing he hated was other players who didn't work hard.

Shame he told another forum's owner when they somehow managed to bump into each other at an airport that he would never work at the club whilst Vinnie Tan is here

I think his unpredictability is a positive, as his passion, as his credibility as a footballer ,there you have it, a potential manager, it's about respect in the game and he also has that .

If you were a chairman then the most obvious concern about Bellamy from his playing days, certainly early playing days, was his temperament and how he reacts to those not living up to his standards. It's the first question you'd want answered before giving him the big job.

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    Shame he told another forum's owner when they somehow managed to bump into each other at an airport that he would never work at the club whilst Vinnie Tan is here
    I can only assume something's happened since then to change his mind.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    If you were a chairman then the most obvious concern about Bellamy from his playing days, certainly early playing days, was his temperament and how he reacts to those not living up to his standards. It's the first question you'd want answered before giving him the big job.
    I think that's why he has done exactly the right thing in starting with the youth set up. He could easily have taken a management position at a club by now but he's thinking long term, working his way up, doing an apprenticeship rather than throwing himself in at the deep end. I get the the feeling that both Bellars himself and CCFC could well benefit greatly from his approach in the not too distant future.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    I can only assume something's happened since then to change his mind.
    Or make believe stirring?

I remember Bellers telling me once that he achieved what he did, not so much through natural talent as hard work. First on the training ground, last to leave and the one thing he hated was other players who didn't work hard.
    Definitely a hard worker, and a ton of determination, but a LOT of talent there too.

Or make believe stirring?
    Tbf no, he said the same to me.

Tbf no, he said the same to me.
    Maybe but did you make your conversation with him a sticky to try and stir and cause friction ?

That's a good podcast to be fair. Some really good discussions and a good laugh

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Definitely a hard worker, and a ton of determination, but a LOT of talent there too.
    Yes very talented player. At Newcastle I thought he would have gone on to something huge abroad, some of his performances for the club were exceptional - I think Bobby Robson had a lot to do with keeping him under (some) control.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    Yes very talented player. At Newcastle I thought he would have gone on to something huge abroad, some of his performances for the club were exceptional - I think Bobby Robson had a lot to do with keeping him under (some) control.
    I think Bobby Robson had a lot to do with it too.
    Slightly off topic. Have you read Bobby Robson's autobiography? If not its well worth a read. He mentions Bellamy in there several times. One quote goes along the lines of "Bellamy could start an arguement in a phone box".
    That made me chuckle.

Maybe but did you make your conversation with him a sticky to try and stir and cause friction ?
    No, it was a private conversation that I didn't think should be made public.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    That's a good podcast to be fair. Some really good discussions and a good laugh
    It is a good podcast. I listen to it every week and its very entertaining. Some right old laughs and some sad moments too.
    The other week Savage was opening up about his dad's illness and how he coped with Gary Speed's death.

It is a good podcast. I listen to it every week and its very entertaining. Some right old laughs and some sad moments too.
    The other week Savage was opening up about his dad's illness and how he coped with Gary Speed's death.
    I think Savage comes across well on the show. He's clearly thick as shit but he's brutally honest about everything on there which makes him likeable.

I've read Syed's books Bounce and Black box thinking and they're a really good read too. His covers some of the topics on the show.

I think its no real secret that Bellamy is going to be Warnocks successor. My concern however is what sort of squad Warnock is going to leave Bellamy.

Whilst there is a place for a journeymen like Halford, as he covers a number of positions, and Sol because hes still a bloody good player, I just hope Warnock doesnt load the squad with 30 somethings.

Certainly from listening to Bellamy talk previously his football ideals somehwat differs to Warnocks.

Its a problem Trollope had trying to make silk purse out of a sows ear with Slades squad, and I fear Bellamy might suffer in the same way.

The fact that Jamie Mackie and Clint Hill are free agents does worry me slightly. Im just glad Sean Derry has retired.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    I think its no real secret that Bellamy is going to be Warnocks successor. My concern however is what sort of squad Warnock is going to leave Bellamy.

Whilst there is a place for a journeymen like Halford, as he covers a number of positions, and Sol because hes still a bloody good player, I just hope Warnock doesnt load the squad with 30 somethings.

Certainly from listening to Bellamy talk previously his football ideals somehwat differs to Warnocks.

Its a problem Trollope had trying to make silk purse out of a sows ear with Slades squad, and I fear Bellamy might suffer in the same way.

The fact that Jamie Mackie and Clint Hill are free agents does worry me slightly. Im just glad Sean Derry has retired.
    Hill is 38 and Mackie is signing a new deal at QPR, apparently. I think we will have a half decent squad come September. We need squad depth, especially out across the midfield and up front but it isn't a bad side. I don't think we need any journeymen etc, we've got a few of them as it is, although he'll certainly bring in some trusted disciples.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Hill is 38 and Mackie is signing a new deal at QPR, apparently. I think we will have a half decent squad come September. We need squad depth, especially out across the midfield and up front but it isn't a bad side. I don't think we need any journeymen etc, we've got a few of them as it is, although he'll certainly bring in some trusted disciples.
    Yes I read earlier they are in talks, and sounds like both parties want it to happen, but should those talks break down I think he is definitely someone who would interest Warnock.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post

I'm amazed we haven't signed Jamie Mackie mate. I thought that would be nailed on!

I share your concerns about the squad Bellamy would inherit from Warnock as we all saw what happened with Trollope.

I think if we do go for it this year it will probably be shit or bust again. I we don't get promoted this season i would live to see Bellamy take over and do a rebuilding job similar to what has gone on a Fulham.

I think it's imperative that there are two different goals set by the board this season.

1) For us to challenge immediately for play offs

2) To continue developing a system of play that can somehow be recognised as the Cardiff way in years to come.

I do think that it's possible for this to happen and the latter will only bear fruit in years to come. It will inevitably be difficult and in an ideal world we'd all be singing off the same hymn sheet but we have to find a way that is sustainable if we stay in the championship and that can only be done by developing our own.

I agree, thanks for posting it the link, it's not one I've come across before - Flintoff is always entertaining.

Have to say, the podcast is superb by the way

International

I think Bobby Robson had a lot to do with it too.
    Slightly off topic. Have you read Bobby Robson's autobiography? If not its well worth a read. He mentions Bellamy in there several times. One quote goes along the lines of "Bellamy could start an arguement in a phone box".
    That made me chuckle.

A bit off topic but another classic Bobby robson remark was the one about Paul Gasgoine.

He said he found him in the dressing room one day after training and he was crying. When robson enquired what was wrong he said it was because Gazza had just found out that his sister had 2 brothers and he only had one!!

I think that's classic!