+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 'Sunderland Til I Die' documentary on Netflix

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: 'Sunderland Til I Die' documentary on Netflix

How do their fans come across? I thought they were the best away fans at the CCS in the PL the last time round. We played them on the Saturday between Christmas and New Year (David Kerslake in charge!) in a 5.30pm tv game. They brought a lot of fans and sang all game, even though they were bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnojek View Post
    How do their fans come across? I thought they were the best away fans at the CCS in the PL the last time round. We played them on the Saturday between Christmas and New Year (David Kerslake in charge!) in a 5.30pm tv game. They brought a lot of fans and sang all game, even though they were bottom.
    Sparse, continuously saying they're real fans, self righteous, realistic, using "working class" as a badge. Basically typical fans with a sad belief in the rightful position of the club.

Seemingly very passionate, but very quick to turn on the team when things go wrong, which I always found a really strange contradiction.

Btw, I always remember Sunderland coming to NP and their fans taking up the entire Grange End (sans roof admittedly) in what must have been the 1976/76 season, when they won the old second Division - I don't ever remember seeing that before or after.

It was quite a sight.

The other thing to mention is that Jack Rodwell comes out of the programme really badly for deciding to see out the remainder of his 70k a week contract, which the club think that he should just tear up as they can no longer afford it. Which happens ALL the time in real business situations of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Seemingly very passionate, but very quick to turn on the team when things go wrong, which I always found a really strange contradiction.

Btw, I always remember Sunderland coming to NP and their fans taking up the entire Grange End (sans roof admittedly) in what must have been the 1976/76 season, when they won the old second Division - I don't ever remember seeing that before or after.

It was quite a sight.

The other thing to mention is that Jack Rodwell comes out of the programme really badly for deciding to see out the remainder of his 70k a week contract, which the club think that he should just tear up as they can no longer afford it.
    Think you probably mean 79/80 when Sunderland came down here for what was our last match of that season and, basically, had all of the ground to themselves except for the Bob Bank - it was also the first match I can remember where the kick off was delayed because there were still so many outside the ground trying to get in.

I felt sorry for some of the supporters working for the club who were so upset following Sunderland's relegation, but there were also those who attacked one of the cameramen filming for the series when they were 3-0 down at Bristol City (in a match they ended up drawing 3-3) who don't deserve what's looking increasingly like a promotion back to the Championship this season.

I wouldn't be too critical of Chris Coleman, both he and Simon Grayson were hamstrung by a lack of money - having watched that series and seen how the club was being run, I think far better managers than those two would have really struggled to keep Sunderland up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post

It was quite a sight.

The other thing to mention is that Jack Rodwell comes out of the programme really badly for deciding to see out the remainder of his 70k a week contract, which the club think that he should just tear up as they can no longer afford it. Which happens ALL the time in real business situations of course.
    The Rodwell situation for me was well and truly Sunderland's making and ther player was more than entitled to see out his contract.
    If anything it was proof of Sunderland having paid an unfavoured player well over what he was worth or sides would have been more than willing to meet his pricetag and wage.

I admit to having laughed when I first saw this show up on Netflix but took the plunge and thoroughly enjoyed it.

It is also noteable that when the series kicks off it shows a club and fanbase brimming with confidence which slowly turns into a nightmare season. I honestly think they wanted to show the clubs march to promotion and all that came with it.
    The twist in the plot adds to it if anything though. The twist is very City like especially the bit where the fans stay back to give them some $hit after the final whistle at Brentford. Memories of Burton under Trollope sprang to mind for me.

I've always hated Sunderland fans after what they did to the minute silence for John Charles.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    I've always hated Sunderland fans after what they did to the minute silence for John Charles.
    totally agree with you.

Also seeing them acting like pricks in Trafalgar Square before the play off game made me delighted to see them lose, hopefully never play them again!!