+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Facebook was designed to exploit human "vulnerability" - says former president

Facebook was designed to exploit human "vulnerability" - says former president

From the horse's mouth, so get off it now!

Re: Facebook was designed to exploit human "vulnerability" - says former president

Mission accomplished. I hope someone “likes” my post.

Re: Facebook was designed to exploit human "vulnerability" - says former president

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Mission accomplished. I hope someone “likes” my post.
    If only we had "Likes" on here

Now a US Senator is having a pop ..

"How did big tech come to control so many aspects of our lives?” Franken asked in a speech to a Washington think tank. A handful of companies decide what Americans “see, read, and buy,” dominating access to information and facilitating the spread of disinformation, he added."

https://www.wired.com/story/al-frank...been-dreading/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    If only we had "Likes" on here

Only just saw this, was on facebook.

I'm so glad I got off FB. I couldn't stand seeing the endless posts of shite that people think is important and just rambling on and on and on about crap and wasting their own and my time. So I decided to come here instead an-......ohh, hang on.....

I didn't write this by the way.....

It's all one big competition, it's the Hunger Games of photographs and hyperbole and the modern day equivalent of gossiping over the garden fence and keeping up with the Joneses or Kardashiwotnots. Here are a few of the statuses responsible for the degeneration Facebook.
    "Click 'Like' if..."
    ...You've lost someone to cancer, you want to find a cure for cancer, you love your daughter, you love your kids, you enjoy breathing, you like clicking like etc. Stop clicking like and fill a bag with old clothes and take it to a charity shop, give money to cancer research, tell your kids you love them to their face. Save the tip of your index finger and do something that will actually make a real difference.
    "Time for a bubble bath and a large glass of champers methinks."
    The word 'methinks' only ever appears on Facebook and is only ever used orally in those bizarre baby brothels where perverted old men go to wear nappies and get their bums wiped by an overweight prostitute in massive 80s glasses. Statuses like this allude to a lavish lifestyle, a lifestyle created by gossip magazines and Sex and the City, this is not how real people live their lives. In fact the truth behind this status is probably "Time for a quick flannel wash and a glass of Lambrini" but that wouldn't impress your "friends" would it?
    "Anyone know the number for the Doctor's Surgery?"
    "Anyone know the number for 999?"
    If you can update your status, you can search for a telephone number. The above are desperate, attention seeking posts and require nothing more than the obligatory "Why what's up hun?" or "Hope everything's okay hunnii" or "I'm here if you need me hon" or... oh I can't be bothered but I know you know what I mean.
    "Today I will be mostly..." and "...that is all."
    These overused phrases appear to have replaced the nation's obsession with the word "random" which was badly overused for a couple of years by thousands of people who had never bothered to look up the definition of the word. It's a cocky and seemingly disinterested way of telling people what you're doing. Honestly, if you're that blasé about it, keep it to yourself.
    "I would like to take this opportunity to wish Rihanna a happy 3rd birthday. Congratulations sweetie we are so proud of you. Love from Mum, Dad, Kev, Nana, Grandpa and Carol next door x"
    Can baby Rihanna read? Does she have a Facebook account? "I'd like to take this opportunity"? Have you really been so busy that this is the only chance you've had to wish your daughter a happy birthday is through a Facebook account she can't read and has no access to?
    See also: "Shakira, we have just been to your school open evening and your teacher said that you are the best in the whole school at absolutely everything. We are so proud of you. Love from Mum, Dad, Kev, Nana, Grandpa and Carol next door x"
    Oh, stop showing off!
    "Well Nana, it's been 7 years today since you died..."
    Nana didn't use Facebook when she was alive so the chance of her being able to read this when she's been dead for seven years are pretty slim.
    "#Bored.com"
    For starters, why do people use hashtag on Facebook? It's completely superfluous and then there is nothing more boring than someone who is bored and nothing more criminal than sticking a .com after a word to describe your feelings.
    "Rate me"
    This is the dangerous one. Mainly because it encourages users to post pictures of themselves in their new clothes or hardly any clothes and then asks friends to rate the pictures and their figures. The problem here is users are appealing to their "friends" if you look awful they're not going to tell you because they're your friend and they don't want to upset you. So no matter how hideous you look, people will click "LIKE" and they will comment with things like "Beautiful Hunniiiiii".
    Blatant vanity and a desperate appeal for compliments seems to carry absolutely no shame whatsoever and adding "I hate this picture" to the posted image won't fool anyone. If you genuinely hated it, you would press delete. Well done Facebook, you've created a monster, and a bloody ugly one to boot!
    There are over 988,968 words in the English language but look at the above. You know someone who has used one, more or all of them or you yourself are guilty. I've not even touched upon the countless people who want you to know where they are, who they're with and what an "AMAAAAAZEBALLS" time they're having. Genuinely "good-time" situations have no place on Facebook as the thought of updating your status just wouldn't occur to you.
    So, stop competing with your "friends", showing off and shamelessly seeking attention. Close down your Facebook account, get out there, live your life and remember how to have a REALLY good time with REAL people and If you happen to feel like you still need the occasional spurt of validation, you can always Instagram the shit out of your dinner, you're bound to get a "like" and maybe even a #nom. Don't get me started on NOM!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maccy Blue View Post

It's all one big competition, it's the Hunger Games of photographs and hyperbole and the modern day equivalent of gossiping over the garden fence and keeping up with the Joneses or Kardashiwotnots. Here are a few of the statuses responsible for the degeneration Facebook.
    "Click 'Like' if..."
    ...You've lost someone to cancer, you want to find a cure for cancer, you love your daughter, you love your kids, you enjoy breathing, you like clicking like etc. Stop clicking like and fill a bag with old clothes and take it to a charity shop, give money to cancer research, tell your kids you love them to their face. Save the tip of your index finger and do something that will actually make a real difference.
    The word 'methinks' only ever appears on Facebook and is only ever used orally in those bizarre baby brothels where perverted old men go to wear nappies and get their bums wiped by an overweight prostitute in massive 80s glasses. Statuses like this allude to a lavish lifestyle, a lifestyle created by gossip magazines and Sex and the City, this is not how real people live their lives. In fact the truth behind this status is probably "Time for a quick flannel wash and a glass of Lambrini" but that wouldn't impress your "friends" would it?
    If you can update your status, you can search for a telephone number. The above are desperate, attention seeking posts and require nothing more than the obligatory "Why what's up hun?" or "Hope everything's okay hunnii" or "I'm here if you need me hon" or... oh I can't be bothered but I know you know what I mean.
    These overused phrases appear to have replaced the nation's obsession with the word "random" which was badly overused for a couple of years by thousands of people who had never bothered to look up the definition of the word. It's a cocky and seemingly disinterested way of telling people what you're doing. Honestly, if you're that blasé about it, keep it to yourself.
    "I would like to take this opportunity to wish Rihanna a happy 3rd birthday. Congratulations sweetie we are so proud of you. Love from Mum, Dad, Kev, Nana, Grandpa and Carol next door x"
    Can baby Rihanna read? Does she have a Facebook account? "I'd like to take this opportunity"? Have you really been so busy that this is the only chance you've had to wish your daughter a happy birthday is through a Facebook account she can't read and has no access to?
    See also: "Shakira, we have just been to your school open evening and your teacher said that you are the best in the whole school at absolutely everything. We are so proud of you. Love from Mum, Dad, Kev, Nana, Grandpa and Carol next door x"
    Oh, stop showing off!
    Nana didn't use Facebook when she was alive so the chance of her being able to read this when she's been dead for seven years are pretty slim.
    "#Bored.com"
    For starters, why do people use hashtag on Facebook? It's completely superfluous and then there is nothing more boring than someone who is bored and nothing more criminal than sticking a .com after a word to describe your feelings.
    "Rate me"
    This is the dangerous one. Mainly because it encourages users to post pictures of themselves in their new clothes or hardly any clothes and then asks friends to rate the pictures and their figures. The problem here is users are appealing to their "friends" if you look awful they're not going to tell you because they're your friend and they don't want to upset you. So no matter how hideous you look, people will click "LIKE" and they will comment with things like "Beautiful Hunniiiiii".
    Blatant vanity and a desperate appeal for compliments seems to carry absolutely no shame whatsoever and adding "I hate this picture" to the posted image won't fool anyone. If you genuinely hated it, you would press delete. Well done Facebook, you've created a monster, and a bloody ugly one to boot!
    There are over 988,968 words in the English language but look at the above. You know someone who has used one, more or all of them or you yourself are guilty. I've not even touched upon the countless people who want you to know where they are, who they're with and what an "AMAAAAAZEBALLS" time they're having. Genuinely "good-time" situations have no place on Facebook as the thought of updating your status just wouldn't occur to you.
    So, stop competing with your "friends", showing off and shamelessly seeking attention. Close down your Facebook account, get out there, live your life and remember how to have a REALLY good time with REAL people and If you happen to feel like you still need the occasional spurt of validation, you can always Instagram the shit out of your dinner, you're bound to get a "like" and maybe even a #nom. Don't get me started on NOM!
    I posted a photo of me and my daughter wearing my old trousers the other day, does that make me a real saddo?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    I posted a photo of me and my daughter wearing my old trousers the other day, does that make me a real saddo?
    #Saddo!

There was a post about this on reddit yesterday...ill be ****ed if I can find it now...but it went in depth about how they use not just Facebook but apps such as games to spy on us and see our spending habits etc. They can even record the screen to see how you use certain apps. It ain't just Facebook.

Now a US Senator is having a pop ..

"How did big tech come to control so many aspects of our lives?” Franken asked in a speech to a Washington think tank. A handful of companies decide what Americans “see, read, and buy,” dominating access to information and facilitating the spread of disinformation, he added."

https://www.wired.com/story/al-frank...been-dreading/
    Bots won trump the presidency for the Russians to destabilise the US. There were thousands of bots on Twitter etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Blue View Post
    I'm so glad I got off FB. I couldn't stand seeing the endless posts of shite that people think is important and just rambling on and on and on about crap and wasting their own and my time. So I decided to come here instead an-......ohh, hang on.....

It's easy if you don't like what someone posts...just click "don't show in news feed

One thing worse than Facebook is people moaning about Facebook. You have a choice...

Quote Originally Posted by Maccy Blue View Post

"Click 'Like' if..."
    Oh, stop showing off!
    "#Bored.com"
    "Rate me"
    Bitter

Blog Entries

#Saddo!
    :fingers:

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    It's easy if you don't like what someone posts...just click "don't show in news feed

One thing worse than Facebook is people moaning about Facebook. You have a choice...
    That is great advice Mr Zuckerberg

That is great advice Mr Zuckerberg
    I'll try and find that post...im just really hungover...

I think facebook is harmless enough, but I do feel ever more uncomfortable with the amount of personal information that people share.

For example, I see former colleagues posting photos of their kids and grandkids and it makes me wonder how those kids are going to feel in twenty years time when they find that, without their say so, their life-history is pretty much published online for the whole world to see

It’s harmless enough. If you don’t like it don’t have an account.
    Simple really.

There are people on Snapchat that find it harmless to put pictures of their kids in the bath. That one gets me. Guilty if putting pictures on social media? Yes. I do it because I'm proud of my daughter ..but bath pictures? **** sake.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffIrish2 View Post
    It’s harmless enough. If you don’t like it don’t have an account.
    Simple really.
    'Our minds can be hijacked': the tech insiders who fear a smartphone dystopia

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...alley-dystopia

I wonder how many times I swiped my phone reading his article.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Bitter
    Or just fed up with sad bastards who feel the need for constant reassurance?

'Our minds can be hijacked': the tech insiders who fear a smartphone dystopia

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...alley-dystopia
    If you’re stupid and easily influenced then yes.
    Personally talking to my cousins in Ireland and piss taking photos of each other doesn’t constitute that I’m enslaved to some cyber thought control.

The associated danger of lying on the couch with a tablet, or propped in front of a monitor is that people become even more sedentary and frequently quoffing the old vino while doing so, night after night.

I had a work experience lad with me this week. He tells me that none of his mates/age bother with FB. It's for dopey old farts apparently. Twitter didn't get much better assessment. It's all Snapchat.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffIrish2 View Post
    If you’re stupid and easily influenced then yes.
    Personally talking to my cousins in Ireland and piss taking photos of each other doesn’t constitute that I’m enslaved to some cyber thought control.
    Unfortunately addiction is not such a simple topic.