+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Thinking of getting a homeless dog , advice on dog kennel needed

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Thinking of getting a homeless dog , advice on dog kennel needed

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    It seems to be you are offering a dog a home yet they quiz you like the Gestapo !!

I went on the dog pound website and it doesn't seem they have many dogs up for adoption which I find hard to believe for a city of Cardiff's size

If you have to jump through a million hoops to prove you are genuinely looking to take a dog on its going to put people off and turn them towards the dreaded puppy farms
    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Exactly.

I was told eight weeks ago that they wouldn't let me have a dog until I had moved house. I tried to explain that the move was unlikely to happen for at least five or six weeks, so there was plenty of time to get a new dog integrated with me and my two cats (who have both lived with dogs all of their lives), but they wouldn't have it.

So, eight weeks down the line with still no sign of the move happening any time soon and with me now really missing having a dog around the place after the longest period I've had without one since 1972, I've decided to take the risk of buying a puppy, which I'm picking up later this week, on Gumtree rather go through all that again. I realise the old system whereby you could go down there and bring a dog back with you as if you were visiting a shop may have been a licence for some people to give a dog a really bad home, but they've gone from one extreme to another now and someone like me who only wants to give an unwanted dog the best home possible is, effectively, being penalised.
    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    That's what it used to be like , the impression I got was one of strict getting of a possible new owner when all I want to do is give the poor ****er a home !!!
    I have dealings with dogs homes, from some rescue work i do

the main reason on the " quiz you like the Gestapo " is that alot of dogs a while back were being rehomed only to be used at " bait dogs " or at least the homes were convinced they were, thus they are over the top with it now

and i am sure even the most heartless amongst us would not want that

Re: Thinking of getting a homeless dog , advice on dog kennel needed

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I have dealings with dogs homes, from some rescue work i do

the main reason on the " quiz you like the Gestapo " is that alot of dogs a while back were being rehomed only to be used at " bait dogs " or at least the homes were convinced they were, thus they are over the top with it now

and i am sure even the most heartless amongst us would not want that
    Well, all they've done in my case is ensure that someone who has gone to them as a first step in the quest to find a new dog for nearly forty years has now resolved not to use them ever again. You could ask anyone I've met since the first dog came into the family in 1972 to provide an example of me being cruel to or otherwise mistreating one of my dogs and they wouldn't find one - as mentioned before, I appreciate the need for ensuring that dogs go the "right" homes, but they've gone from one extreme to the other completely.