Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
Depends on what style you want to play and how much of the ball you are expecting to enjoy. For example, I imagine Gunter's positional sense and safe style on the ball is a better option if we were playing against a Belgium side away whereas Ireland at home absolutely called for different option - or at least Gunter playing 3rd CB rather than RB/RWB.

I thought we could have made greater use of Ledley and Vokes yesterday. As individuals they are not the most exciting but Ledley could have sat between back line and Ampadu/Allen slightly higher, or at least higher without the risk of leaving massive gap behind, while Vokes could have been used to play in Bale and Lawrence/Ramsey. Might not suit the high press or long term thinking Giggs wanted to employ but I doubt Eriksen would have scored that first goal and then Vokes as a useful Plan B.
Agree about horses for courses. Leaving Eriksen unmarked in the penalty box is never a good idea. I’m a bit fed up with Gunter, He’s not great. He doesn’t stop crosses often enough and backs off too often, Too many poor Reading performances for me.