+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Supporters Were Cheated.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Supporters Were Cheated.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Dear 7 iron.... ?
    Ha ha.

I guess I'm just trying to make the point that many of us are getting so upset about a game that most of us couldn't be arsed to go to.

It was a crap time for a game, we had a weakened team out, the manager had clearly said this was an opportunity for players to show him what they could do (not much as it happens) and earn a place, most of us are more concerned with staying up, so I for one couldn't give a toss that we lost, in fact I'm pretty glad we did.
    I also expect some of the players who started today to be playing elsewhere fairly soon.

Weren't they giving ST holders free tickets for it?

Im sorry for anyone who wasted their Sunday morning and feels cheated, but "caveat emptor" as they say
    Last edited by TH63; 08-01-17 at 22:44.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    ... "caveat emptor" as they say
    Spookily this was the phrase that also came to my mind.

I preferred to watch the game on TV - and here's a point not mentioned yet - what sort of impression will the millions () of viewers have of CCFC, the city of Cardiff and indeed the people of Wales from that abysmal performance in front of a handful of fans?

Not exactly a great advertisement....

Ha ha.

I guess I'm just trying to make the point that many of us are getting so upset about a game that most of us couldn't be arsed to go to.

It was a crap time for a game, we had a weakened team out, the manager had clearly said this was an opportunity for players to show him what they could do (not much as it happens) and earn a place, most of us are more concerned with staying up, so I for one couldn't give a toss that we lost, in fact I'm pretty glad we did.
    I also expect some of the players who started today to be playing elsewhere fairly soon.

Weren't they giving ST holders free tickets for it?

Im sorry for anyone who wasted their Sunday morning and feels cheated, but "caveat emptor" as they say
    I'm confused, what's the connection between staying up, and having a go at winning an FA cup tie? This didn't seem to be an issue not so long ago. The way I see it, is that football clubs and their playing staff seem to have a certain arrogance towards the cup, there's this perennial bullshit peddled -without foundation-that the cup is a distraction, and could lead to a level of meltdown that contributes towards the players poor form-bless! It's nonsense, and a get out for lazy players and managers who maybe, just maybe, don't have enough belief in themselves. The sad thing is that football supporters are buying it. Players, managers and fans didn't seem to have these concerns 10 or 15 years ago, something must have happened in that time, some study, statistical data based on poor form, relegation etc-due to doing well in the FA cup. I must have missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I'm confused, what's the connection between staying up, and having a go at winning an FA cup tie? This didn't seem to be an issue not so long ago. The way I see it, is that football clubs and their playing staff seem to have a certain arrogance towards the cup, there's this perennial bullshit peddled -without foundation-that the cup is a distraction, and could lead to a level of meltdown that contributes towards the players poor form-bless! It's nonsense, and a get out for lazy players and managers who maybe, just maybe, don't have enough belief in themselves. The sad thing is that football supporters are buying it. Players, managers and fans didn't seem to have these concerns 10 or 15 years ago, something must have happened in that time, some study, statistical data based on poor form, relegation etc-due to doing well in the FA cup. I must have missed it.
    My feelings exactly, when did the Cup become an excuse for a club to perform as pathetically as we have done in our last three matches, all played at home, in the competition? Yesterday was the only match we are playing in a twelve day spell - we hadn't played in six days and it was six days until we next play and yet the attitude the players, and manager, showed stank. I resent being made out to be some kind of idiot for actually going along to support my team - for me, so many of the gains from the Villa game have been lost, primarily because of the attitude of people at the club, but supporters who used any excuse not to turn up after they had spoken about how much they enjoyed last Monday's match didn't help either.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    My feelings exactly, when did the Cup become an excuse for a club to perform as pathetically as we have done in our last three matches, all played at home, in the competition? Yesterday was the only match we are playing in a twelve day spell - we hadn't played in six days and it was six days until we next play and yet the attitude the players, and manager, showed stank. I resent being made out to be some kind of idiot for actually going along to support my team - for me, so many of the gains from the Villa game have been lost, primarily because of the attitude of people at the club, but supporters who used any excuse not to turn up after they had spoken about how much they enjoyed last Monday's match didn't help either.
    I don't think anyone is suggesting you were an idiot for going to support the team, but I think the subject title "Cheated" is a bit strong. Sure, if we had been told it was to be a full strength side, with a full price ticket on a Saturday afternoon, then yeah, one could be excused for feeling cheated.

But, let's be honest, everyone in that ground knew this was going to be little more than a run-out for fringe players who don't normally get a game. If this game taught us anything then it is that there is a reason why they are fringe players.

City will forever be linked with the FA cup, and back when I was a kid, it was pretty much the only time we got to see live football on TV, so part of me does feel, and has felt for some time, that the disrespect shown to it by fielding below strenght teams is disappointing. I hope we give it a good go next season when our league status is assured, but right now, I think it's a distraction (and potential for injuries) we could do without.

I don't think anyone is suggesting you were an idiot for going to support the team, but I think the subject title "Cheated" is a bit strong. Sure, if we had been told it was to be a full strength side, with a full price ticket on a Saturday afternoon, then yeah, one could be excused for feeling cheated.

But, let's be honest, everyone in that ground knew this was going to be little more than a run-out for fringe players who don't normally get a game. If this game taught us anything then it is that there is a reason why they are fringe players.

City will forever be linked with the FA cup, and back when I was a kid, it was pretty much the only time we got to see live football on TV, so part of me does feel, and has felt for some time, that the disrespect shown to it by fielding below strenght teams is disappointing. I hope we give it a good go next season when our league status is assured, but right now, I think it's a distraction (and potential for injuries) we could do without.
    You had to see the lack of effort to believe it.

A weakened side, fine, a weakened side that couldn't be arsed , now that has different connotations.....

Dear 7 Iron... very witty...

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Cup games are now seen as a inconvenience it started when prem league teams ( was it Man utd first, sorry Nugent will know ) knew the champions league would bring in more money, they then fielded weakened teams

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Cup games are now seen as a inconvenience it started when prem league teams ( was it Man utd first, sorry Nugent will know ) knew the champions league would bring in more money, they then fielded weakened teams
    Pretty sure Alex Ferguson was the first to dis the cup, they even used to fine teams for sending out weakened line ups.