+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The People vs the Snoopers' Charter

The People vs the Snoopers' Charter

Consider a donation to help fight the battle: https://www.crowdjustice.org/case/snoopers-charter/

Ever googled something personal?

Who you text, email or call. Your social media activity. Which websites you visit.

Who you bank with. Where your kids go to school. Your sexual preferences, health worries, religious and political beliefs.

Since November, the Snoopers’ Charter – the Investigatory Powers Act – has let the Government access all this intimate information, building up an incredibly detailed picture of you, your family and friends, your hobbies and habits – your entire life.

And it won’t just be accessed by the Home Secretary. Dozens of agencies – the Department for Work and Pensions, HMRC and 46 others – can now see sensitive details of your personal life.

Over 200,000 people signed a petition to stop the Snoopers’ Charter, the Government didn’t listen so we’re taking them to court and we need your help.

There’s no opt-out and you don’t need to be suspected of anything. It will just happen all the time, to every one of us.
    The Investigatory Powers Act lets Government keep records of and monitor your private emails, texts and phone calls – that’s where you are, who you speak to, what you say – and all without any suspicion of wrongdoing.

It forces internet companies like Sky, BT and TalkTalk to log every website you visit or app you have used, creating a vast database of deeply sensitive and revealing information. At a time when companies and governments are under increasingly frequent attack from hackers, this will create a goldmine for criminals and foreign spies.

Banned

Re: The People vs the Snoopers' Charter

I'm all for it tbh. Could help stop kiddy fiddlers, terrorists etc etc.
    Just don't like the fact companies like BT get their paws on your information

Quote Originally Posted by nugent View Post
    Well, that's the entire point. Is the (some may say small) possibility of stopping kiddy fiddlers and terrorists worth allowing all these agencies and companies having complete access to everything you do?

This is the thin edge of the wedge in the erosion of civil liberties how can anyone be all for this.

If anyone says "I have nothing to hide anyway" they're completely missing the point.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Well, that's the entire point. Is the (some may say small) possibility of stopping kiddy fiddlers and terrorists worth allowing all these agencies and companies having complete access to everything you do?
    It's not going to stop any competent terrorist anyway as if they're just googling "how to blow up parliament" on internet explorer.

The only people this will target is normal people.

I have nothing to hide anyway.

Banned

I got nothing to hide either.....
    Mr and Mrs r in 1....2.....3....

Quote Originally Posted by itkman View Post
    I have nothing to hide anyway.
    99.99999% of people in the UK don't either.

The government doesn't have a god given right to intrude peoples private lives.

It is worrying how easily people give up all freedom they have due to fear.

You put a huge amount of faith in the law and government. What about them makes you think they'll act in your interests?.
    Last edited by LordKenwyne; 12-01-17 at 08:27.

I got nothing to hide either.....
    Mr and Mrs r in 1....2.....3....
    Upload a screen grab of your browsing history from yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    99.99999% of people in the UK don't either.

The government doesn't have a god given right to intrude peoples private lives.

It is worrying how easily people give up all freedom they have due to fear.

You put a huge amount of faith in the law and government. What about them makes you think they'll act in your interests?.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Yet the majority of the country seem happy to give up a huge chunk of their freedom for what is essentially no gain.

You may have nothing to hide now but who knows what changes will be made to the law in the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by itkman View Post
    what?.

Quote Originally Posted by tigerbaybluebird View Post
    In certain areas I have no problem with them cracking down.

That is one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    what?.
    itkman said it in response to CB saying:

If anyone says "I have nothing to hide anyway" they're completely missing the point.

Banned

Upload a screen grab of your browsing history from yesterday.
    Ccmb
    BBC sport website
    Star wars job Lots on ebay
    Best items around the house to stick your 9 inch willy in

Ccmb
    BBC sport website
    Star wars job Lots on ebay
    Best items around the house to stick your 9 inch willy in
    screen grab, not description.

Banned

screen grab, not description.
    How do I do that on a Samsung galaxy?

Banned

How do I do that on a Samsung galaxy?
    Just looked at my real list.
    Ordered food with just eat.
    Ccmb
    BBC sport
    Top scorers in the elite league

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Yet the majority of the country seem happy to give up a huge chunk of their freedom for what is essentially no gain.

You may have nothing to hide now but who knows what changes will be made to the law in the next few years.
    I have not given up any freedom. What freedoms are you giving up as a result of this?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dragon View Post
    Yes.
    Do you think terrorists just use a normal broadband provider and internet explorer? Any one intent on causing destruction who's clever enough to actually be dangerous will be using TOR or another such system.

This won't reveal anything about people like that.

Also it's been 12 years since the last major terorrist plot happened in this country, is it worth giving up a civil liberty for something which either isn't as big a threat as the media wants you to think or is already being handled by our security services without the need to look at what sites I've been visiting and what emails I've been sending?

Just looked at my real list.
    Ordered food with just eat.
    Ccmb
    BBC sport
    Top scorers in the elite league
    Case: 432870 Date: 12/01/2017 User: nugent

Thanks for doing your patriotic duty. Looks like you've earned your liberty for another day.

Ensure you are ready for tomorrow's spot check, citizen.

--

Sponsored by Murdoch Industries Freedom Spot Checks and Prison Facilities Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dragon View Post
    I have not given up any freedom. What freedoms are you giving up as a result of this?
    You're giving up the freedom to privacy and it isn't just about this anyway if civil liberties are being eroded so easily who knows what next.

What's to stop anyone who's an annoyance to the government, any opposition or protester having their internet history used to slander them?

I'd never have thought reading 1984 that it was going to be so accurate nor did I think people would be happy to accept it based on fear mongering by the media.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Do you think terrorists just use a normal broadband provider and internet explorer? Any one intent on causing destruction who's clever enough to actually be dangerous will be using TOR or another such system.

This won't reveal anything about people like that.

Also it's been 12 years since the last major terorrist plot happened in this country, is it worth giving up a civil liberty for something which either isn't as big a threat as the media wants you to think or is already being handled by our security services without the need to look at what sites I've been visiting and what emails I've been sending?
    I wouldn't bother. If people like Barry think that allowing the Department of Work and Pensions to browse through his private internet history, phone calls, emails and text is going to protect him from a terrorist then we're doomed as a species anyway.