+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Dave Jones Era Quiz

Dave Jones Era Quiz

All questions refer to games played while Dave Jones was our manager.

1. Against which team did Jones enjoy a 100% win record against as our manager?

2. Which 5 teams never beat Cardiff in a league game during Jones tenure?

3. Which team did we play most often in all competitions?

4. How many different goalscorers were there in those 6 seasons?

5. Against which 3 teams did we score 6?

6. We managed 7 3-3 away draws during those 6 seasons. How many 3-3 draws did we see at home?

7. What was the most common score of a match under Dave Jones (ie 8-7 win)?

8. Discounting Newcastle as a team we only played for one season, against which team did we earn less points per game than any other?

9. Against which 2 teams did we score most goals?

10. Against which 2 teams did we concede most goals?

Re: Dave Jones Era Quiz

Preston

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Preston
    It seemed like it, but no. Preston is an answer to another question, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    It seemed like it, but no. Preston is an answer to another question, though.
    Preston got to be answer to 10

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Preston got to be answer to 10
    One of them, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    One of them, yes.
    Is the other one Reading or Wolves?

Is the other one Reading or Wolves?
    No. We conceded 19 against Reading (10 in one season) and 15 against Wolves. We conceded 20 against Preston and against one other team. This team had an excellent record in Cardiff at this time. We've beaten them every time in Cardiff since Jones left.

Derby, Bristol...

Barnsley and Doncaster/Scunthorpe?

Derby, Bristol...

Barnsley and Doncaster/Scunthorpe?
    5. Just missing one.

9. No. We scored 17 against Barnsley, 13 against Donny and Scunny.

Chasetown, Hereford

League wise I seem to remember us doing well against Nottingham Forest under him but that’s a bit of a guess based on an away win or two.

Leicester?

Can see Bristol and Derby have been answered. I think the third was Crewe at home on a warm day, the Koumas show if memory is right

6. We managed 7 3-3 away draws during those 6 seasons. How many 3-3 draws did we see at home?

None stick in my memory so will go with 0

2-1?

Bristol City, Derby

Ipswich, Reading

Leeds, Blackpool (if final doesn’t count), Crewe, Luton

2. Leeds, Crewe, Millwall and Brighton?
    3. Ipswich?
    7. 1-1?
    8. I'll try Reading.
    9. We scored fourteen in three home matches with Derby under Jones, so I agree they must be one of them, but, despite the 6-0, I'm not sure we played the wurzels enough for it to be them - we always used to beat Burnley at home under Jones and we had a couple of 3-3s up there, so I'll go for them.

Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBluebird View Post

Chasetown, Hereford

League wise I seem to remember us doing well against Nottingham Forest under him but that’s a bit of a guess based on an away win or two.

Leicester?

Can see Bristol and Derby have been answered. I think the third was Crewe at home on a warm day, the Koumas show if memory is right

None stick in my memory so will go with 0

2-1?

Bristol City, Derby

Ipswich, Reading
    1. I should have posted league games only, but it wasn't Forest. They did the double over us in 2010/11, we didn't get near them on both occasions. Jones claimed that he wanted us to finish 4th to give us a better draw in the playoffs (ie avoiding Forest).

3. Yes, it was Leicester. We played them 14 times in 6 seasons. Leicester were in League 1 for one of those seasons. 10 league games, 2 playoff semi final legs, 1 FA cup, 1 League cup. The season we played them in the playoffs we also played them in the FA cup. They must have been fed up of coming to Cardiff!

5. Yes, Crewe was the other answer.

6. Yes. One of those oddities, I guess. Seven 3 all draws away, yet none at home. In fact, all the games under Jones where both sides scored at least 3 were away from home. There was a 4-3 win at Sheffield Utd and that 4-4 draw at London Road.

7. No.

9. Derby is right. We scored 21 against them. We only scored 17 against Bristol City. Due to promotions and relegations, we only faced both in 5 of Jones' 6 seasons. The other side we scored 21 against also spent 1 season outside the Championship. Of teams we faced in each of Jones' seasons, we scored most against Preston.

10. Ipswich is right. They put 20 past us. Reading managed 19, 10 of those in one season....

Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBluebird View Post

Leeds, Blackpool (if final doesn’t count), Crewe, Luton
    Leeds is right. Blackpool is right (playoff final wasn't technically a league game, thought that might catch everyone out!). Crewe never beat us. Luton won 2-1 at Ninian Park in Jones's first season. 3 to find.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    2. Leeds, Crewe, Millwall and Brighton?
    3. Ipswich?
    7. 1-1?
    8. I'll try Reading.
    9. We scored fourteen in three home matches with Derby under Jones, so I agree they must be one of them, but, despite the 6-0, I'm not sure we played the wurzels enough for it to be them - we always used to beat Burnley at home under Jones and we had a couple of 3-3s up there, so I'll go for them.
    In addition to all the other correct answers, Millwall and Brighton are right as well. Just one team left to find.
    7. No.
    8. No.
    9. We scored 19 against Burnley, so not quite. We scored 3 against them 4 times and only 8 goals in the other 6 games. There was one 1-1 home draw against Burnley, when Steven Thompson came off the bench to equalise late on for them. I had to look that up as that was one game that I don't remember. It was slightly odd as it happened on Feb 15th, but that was our first game against them that season despite it being our 31st league fixture. I guess that must have been moved, but given that we were knocked out of the FA cup in the 3rd round after a replay, I can't see where.

If it's not Burnley for 9, then how about Watford?

The most common score has to be a low one, so I'll say 1-0.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    If it's not Burnley for 9, then how about Watford?

The most common score has to be a low one, so I'll say 1-0.
    1-0 Cardiff win is right.

Yes. Watford is the other team. In 10 games between Cardiff and Watford, there was only 1 clean sheet. A total of 40 goals were scored in those 10 games. Results were split - 4 wins apiece with 2 draws. Both home and away fixtures saw 20 goals apiece in total. Away form was interesting - 2-1 defeat, 2-2, 2-2, 4-0 win, 4-1 defeat. At home we lost 3-1, 2-1 then won 2-1, 3-1 and 4-2. Of all Championship regulars that we faced during Jones' time, they were the only side to score every time they came to Cardiff.

8 Peterborough? They are like Cardiff to Leeds utd as our Bogey team

Quote Originally Posted by uncle bob View Post
    8 Peterborough? They are like Cardiff to Leeds utd as our Bogey team
    I considered that when I thought up the question, but it wasn't Peterborough. We've won 3 of our last 24 games against The Posh, yet we only played them 3 times under Jones, winning 1, drawing 1 and losing one in the cup. We were seconds away from completing a double over them that season.