+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HS2 to be scrapped

Re: HS2 to be scrapped

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The incoming Government were faced with a situation in 2010 and chose a certain way to deal with it. The party that were the dominant influence in that administration are still in power today and I find it hard to believe they would opt for a completely different approach when faced with what we are told is a financially similar, but worse, situation today - that's all I'm saying, I'm not being party political this time.
    It will soon be known if this government are of the same mind to impose fresh austerity, if they don't take that approach they will be different than the last administrations.

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    Off the top of my head.

Deregulation of the banks.

Sale of gold reserves
    Thank you for actually replying.

Gold was a minor cock up blown out of all proportion, it can be used to signify bad decision making but the idea it in any meaningful way contributed to the 2008 crash/recession is to not understand the numbers involved.

Deregulation is the main thing Labour got wrong. However, this discussion started with the assertion that the 'Tories were left to clean up Labour's mess'. As an opposition you can't do much, all you can do is oppose. Cameron and Osborne didn't oppose deregulation because they actually would have liked to go further at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    It will soon be known if this government are of the same mind to impose fresh austerity, if they don't take that approach they will be different than the last administrations.
    As the only replies I have received on the subject of infrastructure projects in this thread have been from people trying to score party political points, I'll try and do the same. Will you support spending on big infrastructure projects by this Government if they come? Were you in support of such spending in the latter years of the decade just ended when it was part of Labour party policy?

All the infrastructure on the London side is well on its way, old oak common is coming along nicely, the removal of protesters in Bucks has now been completed so I would say Boris will not abandon HS2, but I think Crossrail 2 may well be booted into touch.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    All the infrastructure on the London side is well on its way, old oak common is coming along nicely, the removal of protesters in Bucks has now been completed so I would say Boris will not abandon HS2, but I think Crossrail 2 may well be booted into touch.
    If the do go for major infrastructure to reboot the economy they need to be looking at things well outside London and keeping their promises about spending money on provincial projects, or they will be rightly castigated for it. Crossrail is years late. Crossrail 2 would be a disaster.

It should be scrapped and the money put towards fibre broadband to every property; I'm sure there would be plenty of cash left over for other infrastructure projects like regional Metros which would benefit far more people.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    Plenty of work going on at the Birmingham end, not just HS2 construction, either. Office blocks shooting up and plenty of redevelopment by the central library. Another decade and Greater London will be a suburb of Birmingham. Who would have thought!

International

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    It should be scrapped and the money put towards fibre broadband to every property; I'm sure there would be plenty of cash left over for other infrastructure projects like regional Metros which would benefit far more people.
    Why this particularly?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    As the only replies I have received on the subject of infrastructure projects in this thread have been from people trying to score party political points, I'll try and do the same. Will you support spending on big infrastructure projects by this Government if they come? Were you in support of such spending in the latter years of the decade just ended when it was part of Labour party policy?
    I think it has to be a careful balancing act, I wouldn't want to launch into any big forms of HS2 type infrastructure projects, I think there's a need to look at those area's and communities in the UK that needs it most, and have suffered over the years from the lack of investment.