+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Savings/investments - what do you do with yours

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Savings/investments - what do you do with yours

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    I don't know how old you are (age would make a huge difference) but I would have thought paying into a private pension scheme would be the most cost-effective, considering the tax relief you would get on the payments (i.e. an instant 20% growth). I would opt for an income drawdown scheme rather than an annuity. What would you do with the second house - I presume rent it out rather than rely on its resale value?
    I have a couple of endowments that are beyond maturity date but I let them run as I didn't need them to pay off the balance of my mortgage, which was their original purpose. However, won't I have to pay tax if I simply transfer them to a drawdown scheme?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I have a couple of endowments that are beyond maturity date but I let them run as I didn't need them to pay off the balance of my mortgage, which was their original purpose. However, won't I have to pay tax if I simply transfer them to a drawdown scheme?
    Drawdown is for pensions only. The endowments would mature and be totally free of tax in your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Drawdown is for pensions only. The endowments would mature and be totally free of tax in your hands.
    Good lord. Many thanks, old fruit.

No, I don't see any reason why you should pay tax on these. Just cash them in and start a pension fund. See my reply to Delmbox as above.

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    No, I don't see any reason why you should pay tax on these. Just cash them in and start a pension fund. See my reply to Delmbox as above.
    Is a pension fund the best thing if I am already 63 and semi-retired?

Is a pension fund the best thing if I am already 63 and semi-retired?
    You still could do one, but it's designed for medium to long term savings, still more tax efficient than a S&S ISA. If your in receipt of a pension you are limited to 100% of your income or £4K per tax year whichever is lower. You would still qualify for tax relief.