+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Rummer Tavern

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: The Rummer Tavern

Quote Originally Posted by ian gibson View Post
    It was a proper old school pub years ago when it was the Bluebell, especially when Paul and Josie ran it in the early eighties. It's a bit posher now though.
    I wouldn't say it was posh by any definition of the world, but it does lack much in the way of atmosphere that you would expect from a proper boozer. Not really sure why, as all of the elements of a decent pub are there, perhaps its the layout.

The Queens Vaults is a decent pub, and they serve a good pint (at the correct temperature)
    The City arms isn't too bad.

There are a few others and then a raft of places that want to serve you 250ml of 8% belgian beer for £5 out of a specimen jar or something.

Going back to the rummer, I quite liked it, but I was in there on the Friday before Christmas 2016, and there were maybe 10 people in there tops. For all of its character it cant surely survive like that.

Re: The Rummer Tavern

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I wouldn't say it was posh by any definition of the world, but it does lack much in the way of atmosphere that you would expect from a proper boozer. Not really sure why, as all of the elements of a decent pub are there, perhaps its the layout.

The Queens Vaults is a decent pub, and they serve a good pint (at the correct temperature)
    The City arms isn't too bad.

There are a few others and then a raft of places that want to serve you 250ml of 8% belgian beer for £5 out of a specimen jar or something.

Going back to the rummer, I quite liked it, but I was in there on the Friday before Christmas 2016, and there were maybe 10 people in there tops. For all of its character it cant surely survive like that.
    Its got carpets now posh as feck. I know what you mean about atmosphere, the pub is soulless these days, 35 years ago the place was bouncing on a Saturday night. Paul the landlord back then was a great bloke, really funny and a good host, gutted when he got killed on new years day late eighties, the huge turnout for his funeral in St Johns church in town spoke volumes about how much he was liked by Cardiff's drinkers.