+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Chris Cornell: Soundgarden Sadly Has Died

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Chris Cornell: Soundgarden Sadly Has Died

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Check out rhooster, them bones and angry chair by Alice in chains for the best of Staley , pure evil in his vocals
    Thanks for that. I understand how you've used the term there but 'pure evil' couldn't be applied to Staley as a man, far from it. I know people don't speak ill of the dead, on the whole, but it really is hard to find a criticism of him at any stage of the story. Of course, people were frustrated that he'd resigned himself to his fate and then cut himself off but he was someone that his friends, family and fellow band members obviously cared deeply about. He was upfront and honest about his problems in the songs he wrote but there didn't seem to be any self-pity or lashing out. He'd made a mistake getting into heroin, rehab hadn't worked for him and now he was going to take himself away to die, playing video games in his flat with a pet cat for company.

His mother never gave up, apparently Staley held his new-born nephew not long before he died, she'd hoped that it would give him a reason to seek medical help and have one last go at rehab but it was too late by then. God only knows what kind of physical state he was in by the end, he'd lost fingers due to poor circulation along with the general deterioration of his health. It's a sad, sad story. He obviously had a great talent and seemed to be a good man too. I'm not an Alice in Chains fan myself (although Would? is an all-time favourite) but I hope you continue to enjoy the musical legacy that Layne Staley left. What's the reformed band like? I can't quite see how that would work without Staley.

Re: Chris Cornell: Soundgarden Sadly Has Died

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Thanks for that. I understand how you've used the term there but 'pure evil' couldn't be applied to Staley as a man, far from it. I know people don't speak ill of the dead, on the whole, but it really is hard to find a criticism of him at any stage of the story. Of course, people were frustrated that he'd resigned himself to his fate and then cut himself off but he was someone that his friends, family and fellow band members obviously cared deeply about. He was upfront and honest about his problems in the songs he wrote but there didn't seem to be any self-pity or lashing out. He'd made a mistake getting into heroin, rehab hadn't worked for him and now he was going to take himself away to die, playing video games in his flat with a pet cat for company.

His mother never gave up, apparently Staley held his new-born nephew not long before he died, she'd hoped that it would give him a reason to seek medical help and have one last go at rehab but it was too late by then. God only knows what kind of physical state he was in by the end, he'd lost fingers due to poor circulation along with the general deterioration of his health. It's a sad, sad story. He obviously had a great talent and seemed to be a good man too. I'm not an Alice in Chains fan myself (although Would? is an all-time favourite) but I hope you continue to enjoy the musical legacy that Layne Staley left. What's the reformed band like? I can't quite see how that would work without Staley.
    Like so many other bands , it simply doesn't work when the original core falls apart