+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Scrap the 2019/20 season?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Scrap the 2019/20 season?

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Yeah I understand that, that's what I said in the first part of my post. I want them to win it, they deserve it.
    People tend to concentrate on Liverpool and to a lesser degree Leeds when they're considering the idea of declaring the 2019/20 season null and void, but there are obviously so many other clubs who that would affect negatively. For instance, look at Barrow - voted out of the Football League in 1972 but on the verge of an unlikely return (they were a 33/1 shot at the start of the season). Meanwhile, Harrogate have never been a Football League club and may never get a better opportunity to become one.

After all of the problems Coventry fans have endured in recent years, their side is on the verge of promotion back to the Championship, while Fleetwood could be set to play in the second tier for the first time in their history.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that an awful lot of people at an awful lot of clubs have invested a huge amount of effort and money in the 2019/20 season, and simply scrapping it at this stage could have a profoundly detrimental effect on their futures. As I've said, it's easy for fans of clubs like Cardiff who have basically made a mess of this season to say 'Oh, it can't be helped, just scrap it.'

Personally, I think every effort should be made to finish the season, and if that means having a dramatically shorter season in 2020/21 then so be it. At least everyone would know where they were whenever it started.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    People tend to concentrate on Liverpool and to a lesser degree Leeds when they're considering the idea of declaring the 2019/20 season null and void, but there are obviously so many other clubs who that would affect negatively. For instance, look at Barrow - voted out of the Football League in 1972 but on the verge of an unlikely return (they were a 33/1 shot at the start of the season). Meanwhile, Harrogate have never been a Football League club and may never get a better opportunity to become one.

After all of the problems Coventry fans have endured in recent years, their side is on the verge of promotion back to the Championship, while Fleetwood could be set to play in the second tier for the first time in their history.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that an awful lot of people at an awful lot of clubs have invested a huge amount of effort and money in the 2019/20 season, and simply scrapping it at this stage could have a profoundly detrimental effect on their futures. As I've said, it's easy for fans of clubs like Cardiff who have basically made a mess of this season to say 'Oh, it can't be helped, just scrap it.'

Personally, I think every effort should be made to finish the season, and if that means having a dramatically shorter season in 2020/21 then so be it. At least everyone would know where they were whenever it started.
    I do agree up to a point,if there is a shorter season 2020/21 will not all the managers complain about how many games are played aweek ?

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    I do agree up to a point,if there is a shorter season 2020/21 will not all the managers complain about how many games are played aweek ?
    Not necessarily. All cup competitions could be cancelled for 20/21, and a system like JR suggests above could be implemented. There are solutions, but for me it’s essential this season is finished first and foremost. Simply scrapping it would make a mockery of the leagues and to a lesser degree the cups.

I agree, onus is more on completing this season than starting the next one.

Another point is that a lot of player contracts, particularly lower down, will expire soon. The line ups that finish the season might be very different to those right now. It would be an interesting dynamic, trying to join a club close to promotion and staying well clear of one about to be relegated.

Agreed that's fair, we won't fit a season and the remaining games in now anyway, scrap or reduce next season, but finish this one!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebina View Post
    Agreed that's fair, we won't fit a season and the remaining games in now anyway, scrap or reduce next season, but finish this one!
    What do you do about players out of contract who are moving on? Or players clubs no longer want or cannot afford and need them off the books.

Can players joining a new club take part in the remainder of the season? They may have bonuses in their contacts based on appearances.

I suppose you complete if everyone agrees there are changes to the squads.

There is no simple solution to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    What do you do about players out of contract who are moving on? Or players clubs no longer want or cannot afford and need them off the books.

Can players joining a new club take part in the remainder of the season? They may have bonuses in their contacts based on appearances.

I suppose you complete if everyone agrees there are changes to the squads.

There is no simple solution to this.
    I agree there is no simple solution. I think in an ideal world we would finish this season and then start a fresh even if it had to be a season with no cup competitions etc.

But I do think the longer it goes on the harder it will be. Especially with player contracts running out etc.