+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: BBC LIcence Fee Hike

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: BBC LIcence Fee Hike

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Since the fee was frozen, and pensioners given an exemption, the service has had to make huge cuts due to the drop in licence revenue. Its not surprising they want a relatively big increase. Either allow it or allow them to collect advertising revenue.
    You have to be over75 to get it free, not just of pension age.

I think a significant increase could well lead to a lot of people re-evaluating the value they get from "live" tv as opposed to streaming/catch-up services.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    I think a significant increase could well lead to a lot of people re-evaluating the value they get from "live" tv as opposed to streaming/catch-up services.
    People can re-evaluate all they like, but these are the facts regarding annual costs of the licence and the most popular streaming services. With all that you get from the BBC my view is it's worth every penny.

Sky (Bloody everything) £948
    Sky (Basic Package) £228
    Netflix £216
    BBC £159 (Proposed increase to £174)
    Disney £109
    Apple TV £108
    Prime Video £95
    Paramount + £83
    ITV X £60

It seems it's the right are the ones who are most against the licence as long as it gets rid of Lineker and the rest of his woke ilk. Isn't it Murdoch and his rags that seem to shout the loudest about abolishing the licence fee? Wonder why

Quote Originally Posted by fingers View Post
    People can re-evaluate all they like, but these are the facts regarding annual costs of the licence and the most popular streaming services. With all that you get from the BBC my view is it's worth every penny.

Sky (Basic Package) £228
    Netflix £216
    Disney £109
    Apple TV £108
    Prime Video £95
    Paramount + £83
    ITV X £60

It seems it's the right are the ones who are most against the licence as long as it gets rid of Lineker and the rest of his woke ilk. Isn't it Murdoch and his rags that seem to shout the loudest about abolishing the licence fee? Wonder why
    You may well be right in terms of the paid services but for those "feeling the pinch" financially the comparison is to the plethora of free services that provide plenty of tv shows and movies.

Quote Originally Posted by fingers View Post

Sky (Basic Package) £228
    Netflix £216
    Disney £109
    Apple TV £108
    Prime Video £95
    Paramount + £83
    ITV X £60

I quite like the bbc, no policical issue, don’t really care about that. Other than with Sky which is usually fixed contract all the rest you can opt in and out of with a click of a button. Other than my wife watching strictly we very rarely, if ever watch BBC so £174 is expensive. I simple opt in option for the bbc would solve any issues.

You still have to pay, covers all media, from tv to radio to streaming on your computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    You still have to pay, covers all media, from tv to radio to streaming on your computer.
    The licence fee is to watch (or record) "live" broadcast tv and for access to the BBC i-player. It is not required for any use of radio or using a TV or computer to watch any other service that is not "live".

The licence fee is to watch (or record) "live" broadcast tv and for access to the BBC i-player. It is not required for any use of radio or using a TV or computer to watch any other service that is not "live".
    Think you should check it out, who do you think pays for BBC Radio channels?

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Think you should check it out, who do you think pays for BBC Radio channels?
    JPG my apologies you don’t need a licence for radio now,.

Easy fix:

1 - Scrap the license fee

2 - Take the money out of general taxation - last year license fee raised £3.8 billion this is 0.3% of government expenditure annually.

3 - Ring-fence this funding (e.g. 25 years) fix it to inflation, cross-partisan agreement with an independent financial regulator. Now the BBC can reap the benefits of long term certainty and budget planning, outside of party politics.

4 - BBC also benefits from saving a fair bit of its budget in enforcing, administrating and processing the license fee every year for millions of people.

5 - Continue making exceptional world class content in peace.

Quote Originally Posted by cantonboy View Post
    Means tested now.In other words you have to be on pension credit

Only if you’re on Pension Credits, if not you have to pay. I missed out of a free licence by 2 months and would have had at least one year free, now I pay the full whack

You have to be over 75 to get it free, not just of pension age.
    AND receiving Pension Credit.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    AND receiving Pension Credit.
    Sorry......guess I just like 'repeats'.

Its not 1923 anymore, the world has moved on, and habits are changing

Up to 10 years ago Newsnight was compulsory viewing for me, showered during the news at 10, into bed to watch Newsnight with my Ovaltine. Ever since streaming my routine has gone to pot, but so have Newsnight viewing figures.

Do the BBC have to pay top dollar for the six nations & MoTD ? Does it need four channels and a streaming platform? Should it even be in competition with commercial TV for "talent". Discover someone then if commercial TV want them, let them take them and find the next big thing.

A lot of BBC programmes make money, but the Saturday night fight with ITV needs to stop, the only winner is "the talent". We do need the BBC, but not like the last 100 years, adapt or die and IMO £2 a week is enough when you have to pay when you compare that to the other choices its great value, but thats because not everyone has to pay for Sky or streaming services.