+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Jo Swinson

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Jo Swinson

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Is she playing a blinder by saying the Lib Dem’s will keep the UK in the EU should they get in power?
    With the shambolic state that both Labour and the Conservatives are in, and the fear and panic that a no deal brexit is causing, what are the chances of them actually getting into power, having this as the leading light in their manifesto?
    I know this should have been posted on the political site, but I find you get a more diverse and interesting thread on here. If the mods want to switch it over, then so be it.
    Seems like a move with the interests of the party in mind rather than the country to be honest. Personally I'm 100% a remainer and hate the idea of leaving the EU. However I don't think that immediately revoking Article 50 is the way to go about it, it would show a lack of respect for the people who voted to leave in the first place, and would ignite a powder keg underneath an already tense and divided nation.

I think that the correct course of action would be another vote, a vote based on a more realistic picture of what leaving, and leaving without a deal would mean. I think that the picture has changed so much from what was originally on the ballot paper that that's a reasonable course of action and it's by no means unprecedented with advisory referendums.

I'm assuming that a lot of people feel the same way as me so Swinson's move to place her party as the "Revoke" partly will undoubtedly split the vote of those who want to remain but have differing opinions on how to go about it. The way to go with the best future for the country in mind would have been to form a coalition with the other remain parties but she's seen a once in a lifetime chance to propel the Lib Dems into Government on their own and she's gone for it.

First Team

Re: Jo Swinson

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Seems like a move with the interests of the party in mind rather than the country to be honest. Personally I'm 100% a remainer and hate the idea of leaving the EU. However I don't think that immediately revoking Article 50 is the way to go about it, it would show a lack of respect for the people who voted to leave in the first place, and would ignite a powder keg underneath an already tense and divided nation.

I think that the correct course of action would be another vote, a vote based on a more realistic picture of what leaving, and leaving without a deal would mean. I think that the picture has changed so much from what was originally on the ballot paper that that's a reasonable course of action and it's by no means unprecedented with advisory referendums.

I'm assuming that a lot of people feel the same way as me so Swinson's move to place her party as the "Revoke" partly will undoubtedly split the vote of those who want to remain but have differing opinions on how to go about it. The way to go with the best future for the country in mind would have been to form a coalition with the other remain parties but she's seen a once in a lifetime chance to propel the Lib Dems into Government on their own and she's gone for it.
    Seems about right to me.

One point I think that is crucial is imagining a general election would provide a solution. Only another properly crafted referendum would provide clarity.