+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Grand Slam Of Darts

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Grand Slam Of Darts

Quote Originally Posted by length View Post
    I've watched the match twice, and I still think Gary Anderson provoked Gerwyn Price.

Anderson entered the exclusion zone to push Gezzy.

Anderson is a big baby.
    It started early on when Anderson (and in my opinion, rightly) got fed up of Price giving it large after some visits before retrieving his darts. It's certainly not the first time a darts player has had a go at his opponent for not retrieving his darts quickly enough. We all know that some players use the odd trick, like dropping a dart when retrieving them, knocking a flight off the dart and having to pick it up, not gripping onto one dart enough when pulling it out so they need another attempt to get it out. Such tactics are a bit underhand but have gone on for years and are difficult to prove.

However, with Price, he wasn't even subtle about it. He was blatant. He set out his stall straight away - "I'm going to disrupt your rhythm, wind you up and try and provoke a reaction". He's done it with other players. Russ Bray had words with him in the semi final for doing exactly that. Price got the reaction he wanted and had provoked.

Do you really think that, had Price got on with his game in the proper manner (as in no gamesmanship, no deliberately delaying retrieving his darts, not shouting in Anderson's direction etc etc) Anderson would have reacted?

I stand by what I've said. I believe Price is guilty of gamesmanship, the likes of I hope don't become appealing to other players. Every time I saw Price yelling after hitting a ton (sometimes even less than that if he'd hit a treble with the last dart), I thought "shut up you tool". Anderson is not the only player to have been wound up by Price. He's not going to be the last. If that's what Price needs to give him the edge, then the sport is all the poorer for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    It started early on when Anderson (and in my opinion, rightly) got fed up of Price giving it large after some visits before retrieving his darts. It's certainly not the first time a darts player has had a go at his opponent for not retrieving his darts quickly enough. We all know that some players use the odd trick, like dropping a dart when retrieving them, knocking a flight off the dart and having to pick it up, not gripping onto one dart enough when pulling it out so they need another attempt to get it out. Such tactics are a bit underhand but have gone on for years and are difficult to prove.

However, with Price, he wasn't even subtle about it. He was blatant. He set out his stall straight away - "I'm going to disrupt your rhythm, wind you up and try and provoke a reaction". He's done it with other players. Russ Bray had words with him in the semi final for doing exactly that. Price got the reaction he wanted and had provoked.

Do you really think that, had Price got on with his game in the proper manner (as in no gamesmanship, no deliberately delaying retrieving his darts, not shouting in Anderson's direction etc etc) Anderson would have reacted?

I stand by what I've said. I believe Price is guilty of gamesmanship, the likes of I hope don't become appealing to other players. Every time I saw Price yelling after hitting a ton (sometimes even less than that if he'd hit a treble with the last dart), I thought "shut up you tool". Anderson is not the only player to have been wound up by Price. He's not going to be the last. If that's what Price needs to give him the edge, then the sport is all the poorer for it.
    It's always been called "gamesmanship" for Gerwyn Price.

If MvG can get away with celebrating 95's etc, why can't Gezzy?

It's always been called "gamesmanship" for Gerwyn Price.

If MvG can get away with celebrating 95's etc, why can't Gezzy?
    I think there's a big difference between a fist pump as you're pulling darts out of the board to even walking away from the oche to yell at your opponent, beat your chest, then go back and get your darts.

MVG isn't trying to disrupt the other player's throw. Price most certainly is.

I think there's a big difference between a fist pump as you're pulling darts out of the board to even walking away from the oche to yell at your opponent, beat your chest, then go back and get your darts.

MVG isn't trying to disrupt the other player's throw. Price most certainly is.
    The beating of the chest and yelling was counteractive, a reply to Anderson.

Anderson is up to all sorts on stage. You've probably seen the recent videos? He's farting etc.

The beating of the chest and yelling was counteractive, a reply to Anderson.
    Sorry, now you're talking nonsense. You reckon Anderson started the whole thing?

Sorry, now you're talking nonsense. You reckon Anderson started the whole thing?

Yes. I've said that all along. Take a look back through my posts.

You've even replied since I posted it.