Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
Interesting thread with the usual extremes of views. Things have moved on since Covid appeared on the scene and I believe life in UK should now return to normal.

Why do I say that?.... We have effective vaccines and the majority of us have had 3 doses. Pharma companies have confirmed that these can be tweaked to cover future variants.

We have two oral antiviral medicines available that reduce the severity of an infection by up to 90%

96% of UK population now have antibodies against Covid.

Mask wearing is a complete waste of time in everyday settings because they are not used properly. Disposal masks must be disposed of after a single use to be effective and reusable masks washed once a day. When I see well used masks pulled out of peoples pockets or handbags before entering a shop I know that they may as well tie a dirty handkerchief around their mouth/ nose.

Overall the virus is following the traditional pathway of variants being more transmissible but less virulent.
I would like you ask how is mask wearing an extreme? It’s a way of living with the virus. Vaccines are not fully effective, but are pretty good so they are the main course with the Covid response. But you need sides such as mask wearing and ventilation. And with using dirty masks, I agree is stupid. It’s like as you said, a dirty hankie or a dirty plate.

We live with every virus out there but have an arsenal of measures to reduce them. I don’t get why Covid is any different. And with Covid, we are not out the woods or will ever be fully out of the woods so we need measures